Anyone from TX? Need help on H&R Installation..

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:37 AM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone from TX? Need help on H&R Installation..

I live in Houston, TX.. and I've saw some DIY lowering spring installations on here.. but they're more for the car savvy people.. This car is the ONLY car I have as means of transportation and financial wise.. so if I fuck this car up.. I'm literally in a pile of shit.

So my question is.. does anyone have a FULL VIDEO (meaning no editing and chopping, THE WHOLE VIDEO.. I DON'T WANA MISS A SINGLE THING..) of Lowering Springs installation that I can get my hands on or write up? I'm really new to cars.. so changing springs is VERY big of a job compared to an oil change and changing my brake pads.. And I would prefer to have it done right..

If not then does anyone live in Houston?.. I mean I am relatively new to this forum.. and some of you guys wouldn't prefer to waste your time helping some 17 year old out because you guys don't personally know me, but some help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!.. Some help from someone who knows what they're doing is very securing compared to me doing it alone.. The write ups I see are too general.. and I would probably get lost because it's not specific enough..

(I'm very cautious especially when it comes to cars... So please don't flame..; "OMG JUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ITS NOT THAT HARD" or "GOD 17 YEAR OLDS ARE SO STUPID AND HELPLESS.." "THEY SHOULD JUST STICK TO CIVICS".. ETC..)
Anyways.. that's it with my ramblings.. Thanks in advanced guys.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:47 AM
(ಠДಠ)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Making an uncut video of putting on suspensions and springs?... that's kind of asking for too much. Yeah I'm 18 and I don't know technical stuff about my car, but a whole film to explain is like asking for money and time :P

You could ask a friend or neighbor who has a good knowledge of cars to help you, read the DIY's or... just take it to a shop?
Old 08-07-2008, 02:05 AM
B A N N E D

yeah.. I'm willing to pay someone to help me do it though.. I'd fork up about 50-75 bucks depending on how much I have.. I know its not much but I'd also be very appreciative..

And shops charge like what.. 250? thats TOO MUCH lol..

Yeah I know making an uncut film of Spring installation is alot to ask.. but I really want things to be done RIGHT.. not a nook or cranny missed.. I'd hate to have my car ruined because I misread a simple step.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
You wont find a video. And honestly if you had one you would probably mess things up more as you would be spending too much time watching it and not what you are doing.. Its NOT hard. Look at the DIYs on changing the springs, and keep the computer and a camera handy. If you run into any thing we can help. If you still arent willing to try pay a suspension shop to do it.

If you take the time to look at the car and understand how things are while looking at the DIY its VERY hard to screw something up.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 AM
B A N N E D

lol.. this is probably going to be the craziest thing.. but I will give it a try and hopefully if I do run into some problems, I'll just post some videos on here to let you guys help me out.

Pray for me! lol..
Old 08-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you're crazy dude, I remember my first car, I bought some springs for it and attempted the same way you are trying to. read up a lot about it but once you take off the wheel, you realize its not as simple as it may seem. Steps are simple but it does require a lot of work. The thing is there are steps where you have to be really rough on the suspension to the point it may seem too rough but thats just how it is. Then when you get the strut out, you have to decompress the springs because of the built pressure to hold it down. You cant remove the top hub by itself, you have to take off the pressure. if you havent done this before and attempt without a spring clamp, it will shoot in your face buddy! I'm not trying to tell you not to do it, I'm just telling you, first time, its not easy. I just ordered my springs which on the tracking shows it should be here today. If I have time I'll swap them tomorrow after work and I"ll take pics of each process. Other dude is right, video will be too much work because your body will cover the angle. Good luck man
Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Grippin' Grain

Originally Posted by WPD01TL
yeah.. I'm willing to pay someone to help me do it though.. I'd fork up about 50-75 bucks depending on how much I have.. I know its not much but I'd also be very appreciative..

And shops charge like what.. 250? thats TOO MUCH lol..

Yeah I know making an uncut film of Spring installation is alot to ask.. but I really want things to be done RIGHT.. not a nook or cranny missed.. I'd hate to have my car ruined because I misread a simple step.
Check www.houston-imports.com, there are quite a few shops on there that charge 100 to 150 for instalation.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:11 PM
B A N N E D

Thanks a lot guys, I got a friend to help me do the springs now.. He dropped his s13 240sx not to long ago and knows how to do it pretty well so I will be in good hands.

Thanks ALOT once again, you guys were very helpful.