Anybody know..

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 04:39 AM
Put the shoes back on in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anybody know..

Anybody know where a good place in Atlanta, GA. that will install S-Techs for cheap? I've been sittin on a set for damn near 2 mos and its about time to get lowered..

Thanks folks!
Old 06-17-2008, 07:29 PM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Where are you in the A? I know of 2 places in Marietta near my house that would probably help you out - not sure about how cheap. It's an easy job - why not DIY?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
While I normally encourage DIY projects- certain things are not for the untrained- and a shop is the way to go
playing with the removal and replacement of the highly compressed coil spring/shocks CAN result in serious injury or death to the untrained- and trained- installer
The loaner or cheap spring compressor tools are not worth using IMO- if you want to DIY the removal of the units and take them to a local shop for transfer over- thats one way for the DIY to save some money while retaining control over the repairs of their own car.

Since you are looking for a shop- go look at a few alignment shops- the one that has Hunter Road Force tire balancer and a Hunter alignment rack -excavated into the floor and sunken the rack mechanism to work on any car! Those are going to be smart people!
Look for shops that advertise 20-22 inch tires- they will have the good eqiupment.
That same shop will likely do suspension work for a good price.
Its not a difficult job- just the spring transfer danger.
A member here was helping a buddy do a coilover install and needed the tops off the old shock assembly- something happened--- result $2500 for new front teeth, and that was getting off easy. Others have injured friends or relatives, ER visits and more.
When I worked in a shop- this was the tool I dreaded and respected the most, and we had a good one!! Treat shocks like loaded gun- pointed away from anyone!!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:26 AM
Put the shoes back on in

Originally Posted by FirePR2002
Where are you in the A? I know of 2 places in Marietta near my house that would probably help you out - not sure about how cheap. It's an easy job - why not DIY?
I live in Lil' 5 Points but I'm up in Marietta a lot.. So that could work. I'm, just tryin to get these damn things on already!! Lol! Normally, I would DIY, but just like 01tl4tl said, it's way too dangerous with the rental tools.. I have a friend that has done it to one of his cars, but he's all the way up 85 past 316.. Thats a hike!! He said that he'd help me out.. Depends on how much the shops you know are talkin about chargin.. I'm not even sure if he has all the tools.. I'd also like too go ahead and roll my fenders for when I put my rims back on.. You think they would do that for me as well?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:49 PM
bringin lead

Call Vishal at VP Automotive in Marietta - he's right off the south 120 loop (south marietta parkway). 770-792-1115. I almost had him replace my timing belt. Clean shop and seems to know what he's talking about, although he does not specialize in Honda / Acura, but might roll your fenders while he's at it.

Next would be AlanCox Automotive - call Sherry (I think) at 678.905.1718. They replaced my timing belt and alternator a few months back. Clean shop, knowledgeable techs. They do some performance work as well and would be likely to roll your fenders for you.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Put the shoes back on in

Thanks FirePR2002!! I will give them a call!
Old 06-20-2008, 04:09 PM
bringin lead

If all else fails, I could probably help you with the s-techs for a case of beer and an afternoon of shootin' the shit.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
While I normally encourage DIY projects- certain things are not for the untrained- and a shop is the way to go
playing with the removal and replacement of the highly compressed coil spring/shocks CAN result in serious injury or death to the untrained- and trained- installer
The loaner or cheap spring compressor tools are not worth using IMO- if you want to DIY the removal of the units and take them to a local shop for transfer over- thats one way for the DIY to save some money while retaining control over the repairs of their own car.

Since you are looking for a shop- go look at a few alignment shops- the one that has Hunter Road Force tire balancer and a Hunter alignment rack -excavated into the floor and sunken the rack mechanism to work on any car! Those are going to be smart people!
Look for shops that advertise 20-22 inch tires- they will have the good eqiupment.
That same shop will likely do suspension work for a good price.
Its not a difficult job- just the spring transfer danger.
A member here was helping a buddy do a coilover install and needed the tops off the old shock assembly- something happened--- result $2500 for new front teeth, and that was getting off easy. Others have injured friends or relatives, ER visits and more.
When I worked in a shop- this was the tool I dreaded and respected the most, and we had a good one!! Treat shocks like loaded gun- pointed away from anyone!!

what he said, so much stored energy in the springs when compressed, that can do some serious damage....either use a proper spring compressor or dont do it at all, the wall mounted compressors r the best imo