What else can it be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2020 | 09:15 PM
3rd Gear

What else can it be?

Hi everyone-I’ve read a lot on your forums about similar problems my husband and I have encountered with his ‘02 3.2 TL. He bought it about 2 weeks ago, guy said nothing was wrong with it, test drove it, everything seemed great, got home, drove the next day, it was fine, but day after that, speedometer went out, cruise control went out, TCS light came on, etc. looked up reasons why. Saw about the input/output speed sensors, changed BOTH out. D5 light also doesn’t come on. To top it off, all of a sudden his brake lights wouldn’t go off when he let off the pedal, it wouldn’t shift out of park, AND it got a flat tire. This car has already run us through the gamut, I tell ya!

Anyways, as I said before, we fixed the flat tire, bought a new pedal stopper pad (and checked the fuses!), figured out how to get it to shift out of park if need be (understand it could be a solenoid, but still have other manual option), and changed out both the main shaft speed sensor and the countershaft speed sensor.

Hooked batter back up, figures out the reset codes for the radio, and everything else works just fine....EXCEPT THE D*** speedometer....still.

What else I’ve read on here is that it could be an ECU issue; even looked up the wiring diagrams and fuse positions, and went so far as to peel the carpet back just so I could take a peek at the ECU. However, I only found a bunch of “cluster” wire packs that were connected to some plugs with a lot of pins, and not any “fuses” in different positions to check. Frustrated, I figured I MUST be looking at the wrong side and peeled the carpet back on the driver’s side so I could look at the “front” of the ECU. Yeah the other side had only 1 cluster pack of wiring with a plug.

So long story short-I’m still trying to find the “front”(?) of the ECU where it has the fuses so I can check position #9, or am I wasting my time, and should look at getting a new ECU?

**Edit** everything works except the D5 light still doesn’t come on, still have to check fix shifting issue, and don’t know if the cruise control works or not, but I’m gonna guess “no”. So changing out the VSS’s didn’t do SQUAT.

Help?
Old 07-19-2020 | 06:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Welcome to the forum Zombigirl.

Glad you got most things worked out.

How did you get the speedo to work?

The ECU which is the box with the 3 big connectors down by the front passengers left foot has no fuses. The 3 primary fuse locations are interior drivers side, interior passenger side and under hood. It's VERY uncommon for an ECU to fail on these things.

The D5 light light issue is likely related to the transmission range switch being out of adjustment. It's behind the LF wheel on the trans. Pop the cover and slightly loosen the two 10mm bolts on the bottom that hold it, you should then be able to rotate it slightly left or right while someone inside the vehicle can tell you if the light illuminates with ignition on and gear shift lever in D5.

If you don't already have it, here is the factory service manual: Click here

Last edited by Iggy; 07-19-2020 at 06:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Iggy:
justnspace (07-19-2020), whitetiger5 (07-20-2020)
Old 07-19-2020 | 06:38 AM

Iggy to the Rescue!
The following users liked this post:
Iggy (07-19-2020)
Old 07-19-2020 | 07:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Iggy
The D5 light light issue is likely related to the transmission range switch being out of adjustment. It's behind the LF wheel on the trans. Pop the cover and slightly loosen the two 10mm bolts on the bottom that hold it, you should then be able to rotate it slightly left or right while someone inside the vehicle can tell you if the light illuminates with ignition on and gear shift lever in D5.
Is the transmission range position switch #25 on the link below?

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/v-2002...eft-side-cover
Old 07-19-2020 | 07:57 AM
3rd Gear

OMG Thank you!

Iggy- THANK YOU for the pdf download of the Manual. You have no idea how long I’ve been searching online for it!! Major help! Also major help for everything else you’ve told me.

BTW-I have NOT gotten the speedometer to work yet. That’s what I’m confused about, and why I came on the forum. Changed out both VSS’s, but still no speedo.

Thoughts?
Old 07-19-2020 | 08:03 AM
3rd Gear

Oh and it’s zombiCHICK, not girl LOL
whitetiger5 (07-20-2020)
Old 07-19-2020 | 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zeta
Is the transmission range position switch #25 on the link below?

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/v-2002...eft-side-cover
Yessir
zeta (07-19-2020)
Old 07-19-2020 | 12:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zombichick000
Iggy- THANK YOU for the pdf download of the Manual. You have no idea how long I’ve been searching online for it!! Major help! Also major help for everything else you’ve told me.

BTW-I have NOT gotten the speedometer to work yet. That’s what I’m confused about, and why I came on the forum. Changed out both VSS’s, but still no speedo.

Thoughts?
Check under hood fuse #47(20A)

Originally Posted by zombichick000
Oh and it’s zombiCHICK, not girl LOL
LOL, My mistake, it won't happen again!