Uncontrolable revving while parked w/ hard shifts = doom?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 12:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Uncontrolable revving while parked w/ hard shifts = doom?

This evening I was on my way to my friends house to help him install springs on his Z. It was raining. I came to a light, applied the brakes, and the car suddenly jerked forward as if it had shifted up instead of down. I proceded down the road and got on the highway. As soon as I let off the gas, the car would jump forward very hard. I got to my friends house 5 minutes later. Parked, started gathering my things, then the engine started revving uncontrolably. I got OUT OF THE CAR called my friend to come listen to my car rev.

It is a rhythmic orderly rev (I don't know how else to put it). It wasn't sparatic. It would rev to 2500rpm then drop to idle the rev to 2500 and so on... until I turned off the car.

Later that night, I turned on my car, and it did it again.

When I was ready to leave (about 3.5 hours after I got there), everything seemed like it was back to normal. No real hard shifting all the way home. Got home and it idled fine.

Any ideas?

• '03 TL-P, 70k miles, original tranny, did have the oil jet done awhile ago
  • This happened out of the blue. I haven't noticed anything wrong/abnormal w/ the car
  • Just got an oil change yesterday. (Mobil 1 Synthetic)
  • Just filled up ye ole gas tank today. (Yes, 93 octane)
  • Was raining -- didn't drive through any deep water.
    • I do have a AEM V2.. and there is that stupid hole right under the filter in the undercarriage that water could potentially get up.
    • I felt the filter... I was a little wet on the surface, but I don't believe it was soaked.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The engine revving by itself is strange. But the "rhythmic orderly rev" sounds like it has to do with the rpm limiter in the TL. There is something built in to prevent it from red-lining. So I think that there is something wrong that causes it to rev.. And then as soon as it does, the limiter stops it. Maybe when the car jerks forward it did so because it was trying to rev while in Drive. So it took off a little bit. Of course it's all a big guess.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Well the good news is I have never heard of trans failing with those symptoms, sounds more like ECU or similar
Check you gas cap to for 3 clicks tight and good rubber seal
Old 03-24-2007, 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
That sounds like a IAC that was stuck. Do a search on it and how to clean it.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Happening again! Out of no where... The car was parked after driving fine.. then 12 hours later I get it and this starts. I let it sit for a day.. and it did it just now when I went out to the car.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Intermediate

Cool

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
That sounds like a IAC that was stuck. Do a search on it and how to clean it.
i couldn't agree more. usually when the idle "hunts" its the IAC. you can take that off, grab a can of seafoam and clean out the plungers. is your car throwing any codes?
Old 07-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

its been 4 months- what did you do last time to cure it?
cleaned IACV?--maybe it needs it again,,remove TB and do it right
ckd gas cap seal and had it pressure tested?

possible major vac leak!!--air filter box cover, hose off somewhere- master vac port hose not secured and clamped on ?
Old 07-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

try removing the CLOCK fuse on passenger end of dash
reinsert after a minute- forces a master reset of the ECU
Old 07-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

It's actually been 3 years. LoL. Last time, I did nothing. It fixed itself.

I've visually checked the connections/clamps on the intake tube and filter and the vacuum hoses and they seem OK.

I'm getting an engine light and a TCS light occasionally.

For measure, I added Seafoam to the gas tank. I was on a 1/4 tank w/ the "E" light just coming on.. Perhaps I got the last bit of gritty gas?

Humm, reset ECU....
Old 07-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Team Owner

the low light comes on at 3 gal remaining in tank of which 2.5 can be picked up by the pump
Its definetly in the crud area when below that- especially if on E or below
How much seafoam was added to how many gallons- those 3?
max seafaom dose is 2 oz per gal, more is not doing anything per seafoam,
less than 3/4 oz per gal isnt working either--1 for maitenance and 2 for cleaning are the magic ratios
I like to use a whole can in just under half tank- 8 gal so it gets a long cleaning time
Old 07-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Team Owner

pull the vac lines gently- not just visual
Old 07-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

I used a whole can in 1/2 tank of Shell...

I did pull the lines and felt around the connections to see if I could feel any super obvious air spewing out or sucking somewhere.

If I'm feeling up to it tomorrow, which I probably won't, I might take off the intake manifold and see how things are in there. I wonder if my spacers kicked the bucket? It's just odd this came out of no where and there were no signs.

OH! ALSO!
For the past few months, on occasion, when I accelerate WOT, the engine will bounce off the rev limiter prior to shifting...
Old 07-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

take your IACV off and clean it.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

The shop says the Idle Air Controller went bad... He actually used the term "Idle Speed Control Motor". He said it's not the EGR valve that's dirty because that would throw a code. He said the service bulletin says to not clean the "IAC".

$516 parts & labor.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jayunsplanet
The shop says the Idle Air Controller went bad... He actually used the term "Idle Speed Control Motor". He said it's not the EGR valve that's dirty because that would throw a code. He said the service bulletin says to not clean the "IAC".

$516 parts & labor.
Do not listen to him!!
This is a $2 fix. One can of carb cleaner and some patience.
Lots of members did it.
Worse case scenario, the part is $200.
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/replaced-iac-valve-479308/
Old 07-22-2010, 01:45 AM
Cruisin'

$516 parts & labor.
Whaaa>??!?! This is downright criminal!!! Taking off the IAC literally takes 10-15 minutes, and the part costs $91 at Autozone, maybe a bit more at the dealer. I can't see how they can justify $300-400 in labor for 30 minutes of work total.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BlackRaven
Whaaa>??!?! This is downright criminal!!! Taking off the IAC literally takes 10-15 minutes, and the part costs $91 at Autozone, maybe a bit more at the dealer. I can't see how they can justify $300-400 in labor for 30 minutes of work total.
My family has been going to this shop forever and have always been treated right.. so while I too thought this was a bit excessive, I just went with it because I wanted/needed it fixed. In retrospect, I probably would have just done it myself if I could have been certain that's what the problem was and the fix was a $200 (or cheaper) part. Hindsight is 20/20. I had just worked 8 12hour shifts in a week and didn't feel like troubleshooting this in 94deg heat.

I can't see how they can justify $300-400 in labor for 30 minutes of work total.
While their 2 hours may be a stretch, it definitely doesn't take 30 minutes. At least an hour or so if you're fast and know exactly what you're looking for/doing. That time period also includes “diagnosing” and then repairing. Granted, it was a pretty easy diagnosis looking back.

the part costs $91 at Autozone, maybe a bit more at the dealer
I found the part online for $185.. they charged me $204.

So yeah, the only lesson learned would be take it to a mechanic to diagnose the issue and then pick up the car and fix it yourself…
Old 07-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Always a Honda =Þ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why go on this then..lol...u ask questions ....lots of ppl answer them..for nothing...because you ended up asking the mechanic..you where answered 3 yrs ago....DUHHHH...

lesson here is som ppl have money to waste...the rest of us....wished
Old 07-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

While their 2 hours may be a stretch, it definitely doesn't take 30 minutes. At least an hour or so if you're fast and know exactly what you're looking for/doing. That time period also includes “diagnosing” and then repairing. Granted, it was a pretty easy diagnosis looking back.

So yeah, the only lesson learned would be take it to a mechanic to diagnose the issue and then pick up the car and fix it yourself…
I could change it out in 15 min. It is no where near a 1 or 2 hour job.

And even the oem price is 138.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:29 AM
Cruisin'

My family has been going to this shop forever and have always been treated right.. so while I too thought this was a bit excessive, I just went with it because I wanted/needed it fixed. In retrospect, I probably would have just done it myself if I could have been certain that's what the problem was and the fix was a $200 (or cheaper) part. Hindsight is 20/20. I had just worked 8 12hour shifts in a week and didn't feel like troubleshooting this in 94deg heat.

Sorry but you can't justify it no matter how it's spun. It's pure robbery, and I am sorry to hear that they abused your trust and grossly overcharged you.

Here is the part at autozone with a 2yr warranty:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-je2v5Z9gsof

And it does take 15 mins, to take off and 10 mins to put back on. I know because I just did it one week ago.

As for the diagnosis, this is such a common problem with this car and is so easy to diagnose, you don't even need to hook up a computer to do it.
Don't go on the defensive bud, I'm not against you, I'm with you. And I am angry for you.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Team Owner

shops charge a set fee for diagnosis- usually 1 to 1.5 hours
if the tech can diagnose in 10 minutes- good for him-- he still gets paid the full time and moves on to another car,,the shop makes bucks for nothing and still overcharges for the work

back in the day- each job included a small diagnosis time, not the screw you up front for triple the amount they do now

hopefully people will learn from this thread--when several wise ziners say the same thing- its a good idea to at least ck what they suggest
Old 07-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I could change it out in 15 min. It is no where near a 1 or 2 hour job.

And even the oem price is 138.
To get to the IACV, do you have to take off the throttle body? For easier access, do you take off the IM, and just leave the TB attached?
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
shops charge a set fee for diagnosis- usually 1 to 1.5 hours
if the tech can diagnose in 10 minutes- good for him-- he still gets paid the full time and moves on to another car,,the shop makes bucks for nothing and still overcharges for the work

back in the day- each job included a small diagnosis time, not the screw you up front for triple the amount they do now
And that’s what I needed. An actual diagnosis. The only thing I would have done in retrospect would be to FIX it myself.

hopefully people will learn from this thread--when several wise ziners say the same thing- its a good idea to at least ck what they suggest
I don’t see several people saying the same thing, prior to the fact..
fsttyms1 suggested cleaning it… I didn’t want to clean it. See previous post as to why.
After that point, my car was already at the shop.

But yes, it’s easy to say after the fact, this was a bad decision… but, that’s after knowing what it really was.

This is by no means an excuse, just pointing something out... however, back in the day, when I came on here regularly, you could ask a question and it would be answered almost immediately. It was more active, people were more engaged in wanting to learn, fix, and modify this car. Times have changed.
As for the diagnosis, this is such a common problem with this car and is so easy to diagnose, you don't even need to hook up a computer to do it.
There in lies the problem.. Find out this is "such a common problem". This goes for everything on the internet and especially forums - FINDING LEGIT INFORMATION. I have the same problem on the forum I own and other forums I'm a member of. There are so many threads with guesses and 1/2 of the info you need and random insights here and there...
Don't go on the defensive bud, I'm not against you, I'm with you. And I am angry for you.
Haha thanks man. I guess I should mention that the shop I've gone to for years lost it's front office manager who I always delt with.. It is rumored that he left because he didn't like the way the owners were treating the customers... Speculation, and I haven't heard the facts... But this recent experience of mine seems to hint to that possibly having some truth.. You live and you learn, I guess.

Originally Posted by JterrorC
why go on this then..lol...u ask questions ....lots of ppl answer them..for nothing...because you ended up asking the mechanic..you where answered 3 yrs ago....DUHHHH...

lesson here is som ppl have money to waste...the rest of us....wished
I don’t think you read this thread.

Last edited by jayunsplanet; 07-23-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Team Owner

as a forum operator you should understand there are a few experts and many guessers.
fsttyms1 is one of the most knowledgable people about the TL you will ever find.
No doubt the service bulletin said not to clean- acura is in the business of selling parts and service,,cleaning MAY fix it but replacement certainly will!
same logic by them says multi cyl misfire codes -only needs 1 coil but replace all 6 coils- that'll fix er!
If you detect attitude from some posters it may come from your first post-and later where you didnt want to go back into area you had worked on with the spacers
Plus you initial belief it was the trans,,we had to get you off that, and on to diagnosing,,but the shop already had the car

when you are not a tech or extensive DIyer, thats what you have to do- and use a forum for validation of their diagnosis and cost
mostly we feel bad anyone had to go thru this, let alone one of our own!

at long last its fixed- thats all you wanted right? when you consider the miles between repairs its not so bad a hurt
Old 07-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you detect attitude from some posters it may come from your first post-and later where you didnt want to go back into area you had worked on with the spacers
Plus you initial belief it was the trans,,we had to get you off that, and on to diagnosing,,but the shop already had the car
This thread is 3 years old.. and I'm not sure everyone who read/posted kept that in mind... I probably should have created a new thread to not aid in confusion but I figured it was the same exact issue, I might as well add to what was already there.

when you are not a tech or extensive DIyer, thats what you have to do- and use a forum for validation of their diagnosis and cost
mostly we feel bad anyone had to go thru this, let alone one of our own!
Yeah, this wasn't exactly that bad of a deal. I overpaid about $60 on the part. And paid for an hour of "diagnosing" and an hour of labor... from a "professional" and then had a working car.. However, I usually get good deals when it comes to automotive things because of the connections I have and the willingness to shop around and the resources of a forum like this to know what I'm getting into. I didn't utilize all my resources and talk to the other shops I know due to being exhausted and stressed out and just wanting it fixed.

at long last its fixed- thats all you wanted right? when you consider the miles between repairs its not so bad a hurt
Well, it wasn't a long standing issue.. It happened 3 years ago and fixed itself.. And then happened again this time and didn't fix itself.

I hadn't driven it all winter, as I bought a daily driver.. to save on wear/tear. And other than replacing the timing belt, this car really hasn't had too many non-routine maintenance related issues. However, it has more money in modifications on it than anyone would ever spend in repairs on the car. Haha. So that whole cost thing goes out the window. But of course, I'd rather spend my hard earned money on personalizing my car NOT fixing problems.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Senior Moderator

To get to the IACV, do you have to take off the throttle body? For easier access, do you take off the IM, and just leave the TB attached?

You really dont need to take any thing off. You can leave every thing attached. A little shorty screw driver or one attached to a socket wrench and you can remove it pretty easy.