Transmission - out of warranty help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:27 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission - out of warranty help

Can anybody help? When I bought my lease return 03 TL from a 3rd party at 48k, I had the car thoroughly reviewed and asked the local Acura dealer about my vin. Sure enough, it had a recall on the trainy and a part had been replaced at 40k. They told me not to worry becuase Acura was honorable and would extend the warranty to 100k if there were any problems.

WRONG! I have never experienced problems, until a few days ago at 77k miles. I promptly took it to the Acura dealership. Guess what! They didn't extend the warranty on certain vehichles, including mine beause they supposedly "fixed" it.

I've pushed back on Acura (I've owned 3 and help 2 friends pick TL's over BMW's the past few years.) They gave a "little" love - 25% off the repair but it is still over 2k. Now they are also telling me I need two new motor mounts so close to 3k.

Am I crazy to accept? Should I keep fighting?

Let me know your thoughts or suggestions.

PS - I'm about ready to print out the known problems on the trainys from the internet and start "visiting" with folks who are on the lot looking to purchase and give them the printouts from the web. Will that harm my cause or help me?
Old 03-28-2008, 12:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I think you are haterade/vzup in disguise once again~~
Anyone else would be smart enough to know how to read the transmission failure thread
Hopefully the Mods will close this thread and boot the new identity
Old 03-28-2008, 12:46 AM
Team Owner

If you are on private property causing a disturbance or interferance to the operation of the business- they have every right to have the police take you away

In shiny bracelets!!

Make a big scene and men in white coats put you in a straight jacket~

whats the matter vzup- sitting here waiting and no one will play?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:47 AM
8th Gear

vzup

Give me a break. I'm new to the forum. I've read the tread, but from what I can see, it looks like everyone is getting a new trainy compliments of Acura. I just want to see if I can get any alternatives.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:50 AM
8th Gear

What is a vzup and a haterade?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:17 AM
02 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by jonzy
Can anybody help? When I bought my lease return 03 TL from a 3rd party at 48k, I had the car thoroughly reviewed and asked the local Acura dealer about my vin. Sure enough, it had a recall on the trainy and a part had been replaced at 40k. They told me not to worry becuase Acura was honorable and would extend the warranty to 100k if there were any problems.

WRONG! I have never experienced problems, until a few days ago at 77k miles. I promptly took it to the Acura dealership. Guess what! They didn't extend the warranty on certain vehichles, including mine beause they supposedly "fixed" it.

I've pushed back on Acura (I've owned 3 and help 2 friends pick TL's over BMW's the past few years.) They gave a "little" love - 25% off the repair but it is still over 2k. Now they are also telling me I need two new motor mounts so close to 3k.

Am I crazy to accept? Should I keep fighting?

Let me know your thoughts or suggestions.

PS - I'm about ready to print out the known problems on the trainys from the internet and start "visiting" with folks who are on the lot looking to purchase and give them the printouts from the web. Will that harm my cause or help me?
call acura customer care number from acura.ca website

I don't know your exact situation but I own a 02 TL Type S and had issues with my transmission at somewhere in between 154000kms - 164000kms, the dealer wasn't aware of the extended warranty on the transmission as a result from a lawsuit filed in California a while ago on the tranny issues but the acura customer service rep was aware of it and he called the dealer for me to notify them and everything was taken care of when I took the car to the dealer, the fixed the transmission.

The dealership gave me a rental to use for 5 days while they repair the tranny and even gave me 50% of on the rentail because they delayed the tranny repair by 1-2 days more than what they communicated to me.

Now I go to the same dealer for any parts/service.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Team Owner

If you are truley a new member and not the banned member who comes back every day with a new id and ask a question just to cause trouble...then I apolagize to you and offer this helpful info

If you have read the tranny failuire thread here, especially the last few pages- then you already have all the info needed
Speak in person with the service manager- tell them you KNOW acura is comping these things left and right to ~out of vin~ 03s, and they are fully aware there has NEVER been a real fix on the trans. Note the 04 05 06 are all having trans failures

The 03 cutoff VIN thing was a court required number so they could settle the case and get to replacing a bunch of early death units.

Never believe the service WRITER whose job is to extract money from you!
the service MANAGER is who calls acura and the regional warranty rep- who says- not salvage title? ok then- replace no charge!!
Old 03-28-2008, 01:57 PM
8th Gear

01tl4tl - Thanks for the help. After I kept reading the Transmission thread, I realized that I need to start at the END of the thread. (I was getting frustrated with 05 dates at the front). Now I see more helpful information and appreciate your response.

I'm going back to the dealer today to visit with the Service Manager. Hopefully they can keep me a loyal client. If not, I've started a preliminary search for a Lexus or BMX to replace the TL.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Team Owner

Approaching them with a positive attitude and saying how much you love your acura is a good start. Then how you read on acurazine- the worlds largest internet site for acura owners- and it would be great if he could help you out on this.
Other members in the last month have done 03 out of vin- free- no hassle- see thread: Shady dealership? turned out they were totally taking care of him- not ripping him off

I should have mentioned to start at the end of most of these multi page threads and read back- looking at dates. Seafoam DIY is a good example- use last pages for newest directions

Its odd they gave you any hassle already - unless it was just a service writer. They can only quote what the policy says-get bonus pay on overall sales and upsells.
While the MANAGER can call acura and make anything they want happen.
Paying for the motor mounts is fair- the labor time is way less with trans removed- part $120 plus $30 labor for front mount- and the other is your passenger side mount right- like most everyone else! the side mount should run aboubt 50-75 installed I think- mine was ok-only needed front mount.
You cant see the broken mount prob from above very well- but when they look under the car, and do a few easy test- the acura techs spot it right away
Good luck!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up

Bought a 2001 with 71k 4 weeks ago. Had 6 months left on the 7.75 year warranty. Took it to the dealer to have the tranny inspected. They gave me a new TSX to drive. Two hours later they called and said they would replace the tranny and ECU. No Charge! They said the fluid looked a bit suspect. What a great country we live in!!!!! I had my car back in 48 hours! Nice!!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 02:26 PM
8th Gear

Wow. I had just the opposite. Acura is not owning up to the problem. I spoke very nicely with the Regional manager for Acura and told him about Acura Zine, how the trainy is a known issue and that I didn't expect it to go out at 77k miles. Even though I have purchased two previous cars (both used) at the same dealer that would do the service, I didn' get my oil changed at the dealer and they "have to weigh loyalty to Acura and the dealer" in their decision for goodwill. Guess what. I'm paying $2400 for a trainy, so a discount, but I don't really feel like Acura is standing behind their product since it is a known issue.

I'll drive it another year, (about 20k) since I'll have a 3 yr/36k warranty, then sell it. I'll then make the jump to a different brand.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Team Owner

jonzy- how old are you- I am wondering how much age of driver affect dealer/acuras decision. It is different with each story here!
Old 04-01-2008, 04:51 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
jonzy- how old are you- I am wondering how much age of driver affect dealer/acuras decision. It is different with each story here!
O

Ouch! I recently crossed the big four OHHHH! Do you think they charged me becuase I can afford it?
Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Team Owner

actually they have been jerking the 20somes around.
When the regional rep only goes partway for you- write a letter to acura corp
there is a ladder mentality to the organization- just keep climbing
Mention all the loyalty of buying cars- how much you love your TL and had hoped
the Gen3 would have resolved the transmission issue dating back to the 1999 cars!

Also figure times are tough all over and the service dept is trying to keep the lights on for the sales dept. Thats how that shop really works~

Good luck- print out other full coverage or most coverage threads from here, and include with your letter.
The squeeky wheel and all....No Foolin!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Team Owner

acura corp has the power to write a refund check to you if they feel like it
Old 04-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Advanced

Fight them ...Try AG office

if it had been replaced already then it now only has like 30k on the nre/replaced tranny they are going to tell you that is all their repairs are going to last for. I hav had mine replace 3 tiems and it only has 72k on it now,,and motor mount just went ao I think taking them on and of may cause them to go early.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Team Owner

nope- the front mount fails on cars with original trans all the time.
Usually not spotted until tech has the car in the air, and then its obvious.
Its also very easy to change out with the trans removed
Old 04-02-2008, 12:19 PM
8th Gear

So I'm driving to work this morning listening to KMPS, the number one rated radio morning show in Seattle. The radio personality gets into a discussions about cars and says, "oh, by the way, my mechanic - (asian name), says don't by 03 - 05 Acuras. They have "clappy" transmissions." He kept the "clappy" joke going awhile and mentioned his friend was replacing a transmission at a cost of 3k.

I think it intersting that the word is getting out.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Oh the word has been out for a long time. Just check Consumer reports.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:17 AM
Intermediate

try the dealership again...i just had my tranny replaced on my 99tl and i was 10,000 miles outside the 100,000 mile warranty and the guy at the dealership helped me out and got acura to cover 75% of the cost so i ended up paying 590 for a new tranny
Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 PM
8th Gear

I actually had the service manager schedule a meeting with the Acura regional person who had the authority to help out more. He didn't represent Acura very well. I had copies of AZINE notes AND other blogs outlining problems. He said, "look, let's just agree that there is a lot of stuff on the web and quite frankly, most of it is incorrect, so let's not argure points." I let him know that the trainys were and obvious problem and that according to what I have read, the jet kits did not fix the problems.

He proceded to say that Acura was offering 25% off the repair and that he felt this was a VERY generous "good faith" offer and said "You can take that offer, which is all we can give, or we can RESCIND the offer. Which woudl you prefer".

His gall was amazing. I'm writing a letter to Acura now.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:18 PM
02 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by billyv
Bought a 2001 with 71k 4 weeks ago. Had 6 months left on the 7.75 year warranty. Took it to the dealer to have the tranny inspected. They gave me a new TSX to drive. Two hours later they called and said they would replace the tranny and ECU. No Charge! They said the fluid looked a bit suspect. What a great country we live in!!!!! I had my car back in 48 hours! Nice!!!!
hard to believe they replaced tranny (or rebuilt it in 48 hours) it should take more than that...they don't stock the parts and have to order them from warehouse...mine took 5 days and they gave me a shitbox to drive in the winter...that kinda sucked.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:12 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so i guess if i have a salvage 00 tl-p with dead tranny im out of luck???
Old 04-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Team Owner

not totally out of luck- just no freebie trans for you- thats part of buying salvage title car- you know there are issues and you either drive it till it drops or you invest in its repairs

The trans can be rebuilt at aamco or similar place for about 2500$
If it were welded shut and non repairable- then you would be out of luck~

For the 2 day replacement- they do not order parts and rebuild it at the dealer!!!
An order is placed to the Acura parts warehouse- there are several across each country- if you live close to one- it can be on the truck and at the dealer the next day- then its a few hours labor to install the replacement
2 days is possible for lucky people