Tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 03:27 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny problem

Hi all,
My fear has come, the TL threw the P0730 code today right before the week I was planning on getting the timing belt replaced - still on the original belt.

I did some reading online after I identified the code when the engine light came on today. Most post and comments I read didn't mention or ask anything about the timing belt being the cause of the P0730 code.

Only recently, I experience some infrequent revving before gear shifts - I think mainly between gears 2-3. Shifting was ok for the last couple of weeks but only recently it's starting to shift a bit poorly.
I checked the transmission oil level and it's good, and I did a transmission change about 10,000 miles ago.

I'll still bring the car to a shop to have it looked at but wondering from the community the chances of me needing to get the transmission rebuilt or replaced? My worse fear is that the shop tells me that they can try to replace the transmission belt, problem continues and tell me the tranny is kaput.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
Don't rebuild it just go for the Accord V6 06-07 transmission with the lowest miles possible. This trans is the proven alternative for our TL`s, Can be done for less than a rebuild and far more reliable.
You can take off the timing belt front cover to inspect it but since its original its a good idea to replace it.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
P0730.....

Originally Posted by drey
Most post and comments I read didn't mention or ask anything about the timing belt being the cause of the P0730 code.

Only recently, I experience some infrequent revving before gear shifts - I think mainly between gears 2-3. I'll still bring the car to a shop to have it looked at but wondering from the community the chances of me needing to get the transmission rebuilt or replaced?

My worse fear is that the shop tells me that they can try to replace the transmission belt, problem continues and tell me the tranny is kaput.
Hey Drey, when replacing the tranny fluid......did ya use DW1 during the drain & fill ? Did the old fluid appear dark or smell burnt ? Was there alot of residual fines on the drain plug magnet ?

The P0730 code indicates a possible problem within the shift control system. Ya could try cleaning the solenoid screens and then reset the PCM.

PS: There's no belt in our trannys, belts are only used in "CVT" trannys.
If your tranny is checked by a shop and they tell ya that it's kaput, then your best bet is to have an "AV6" donor tranny installed into your TL.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
the shop tells me that they can try to replace the transmission belt

Go to a diffrent shop these guys are clueless.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:59 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Hey Drey, when replacing the tranny fluid......did ya use DW1 during the drain & fill ? Did the old fluid appear dark or smell burnt ? Was there alot of residual fines on the drain plug magnet ?

The P0730 code indicates a possible problem within the shift control system. Ya could try cleaning the solenoid screens and then reset the PCM.

PS: There's no belt in our trannys, belts are only used in "CVT" trannys.
If your tranny is checked by a shop and they tell ya that it's kaput, then your best bet is to have an "AV6" donor tranny installed into your TL.
i used transmission oil i bought from the dealership. i think it was the dw1. the drain plug looked pretty clean, the oil drained out was not too bad.

Is ccleaning the solenoids difficult? ill have to look for guides to see if i want to attempt this.

i was pretty sure our 2g TL uses a belt....
Old 04-06-2014, 11:08 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
The shop tells me that they can try to replace the transmission belt, problem continues and tell me the tranny is kaput.

They went Full Retard there, Never go Full Retard....

Our transmissions don't use belts ROFL, they are conventional "Honda-Matic" stuff which is more like a Manual Trans with Automatic Solenoids Nothing like any CVT in the market today, Don't go to that shop again..

i was pretty sure our 2g TL uses a belt....

Well, They Don't use them... only CVTs uses a Belt.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:23 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Skirmich
They went Full Retard there, Never go Full Retard....

Our transmissions don't use belts ROFL, they are conventional "Honda-Matic" stuff which is more like a Manual Trans with Automatic Solenoids Nothing like any CVT in the market today, Don't go to that shop again..

Well, They Don't use them... only CVTs uses a Belt.
My bad.. i was typing on my small tablet and meant to say timing belt. No wonder I was so confused with a couple replies
So my car is due for a timing belt, what's the chances that the P0730 code is causing this or is this a common problem with something else. I was ready to spend the 500-700$ on getting timing and water pump replaced. I would hate to go back to the shop with the same code, to find out I need to spend another $2000 for transmission and labor. I know this is hard to answer but any guidance will help.

Last edited by drey; 04-07-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:29 AM
Suzuka Master

The P0730 code is for the tranny's shift control system.
Replacing the T-belt won't have any affect on making that code go away.

Basically, the T-belt is on the passenger side and the tranny is on the driver's side of the car's motor.......if that helps to put things into perspective for ya. I'd suggest having the tranny checked before having the T-belt replaced, if in any doubt concerning overall expenses involved.

If the tranny is shot, labor installing an "AV6" donor will run ya about $500.....and the labor replacing the T-belt components another $500. These are the average prices with an independent shop using parts supplied by you. For parts, figure on $800 for the donor tranny and $200 for the T-belt kit. So, for a ballpark of around $2000.....ya should be good for a few more years.

Last edited by 3.2TLc; 04-08-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:36 AM
10th Gear

3.2TLc - thanks for the advise.
I feel better about what I might be walking into if there's going to be more than just the timing belt that needs replacing.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:26 PM
10th Gear

Just coming back here to get some comments on a couple shops I talked to.

I went to Shop A and told the manager about the Pcode and wondered if they can fix the problem (with the solenoids). He said they don't fix transmissions but only remove and replace it with a rebuilt. He suggested that I inquire with Shop B that specializes in transmissions to fix my tranny and noted they're a bit pricey but do great work. So I called Shop B and the guy said they can rebuilt my current transmission for 1500+tax (a 2-3 day job).

Since I was still at Shop A, I inquired about their price to replace it with a rebuilt and they told me 1900.

Maybe I heard wrong. I'll be calling Shop B again tomorrow, but does the price sound legit - the work and labour involved? Any questions I should ask when I call back tomorrow?

I didn't have the courage to ask about the AV6 06-07 tranny, most shops seem to blow me off when I try recommending alternatives I get from the internet. We'll see though, I may try to bring it up with Shop B if they really are the experts with transmissions.

Last edited by drey; 04-11-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Read the threads concerning the replacement of our 2nd Gen TL's problematic 5 speed transmissions with the updated and much improved "AV6".

This donor tranny comes from a '06>'07 Honda Accord V-6. The AV6 can be sourced from most auto salvage recyclers for less than $1000. Installation labor runs about $500 for removing the old tranny and dropping in the donor AV6.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:57 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Here is the skinny on rebuilding your transmission:

Rebuilding it simply doesn't solve the problem. It is simply building the internals to a point where they can fail again. It will fail again no matter what if you rebuild it.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Just coming back here to get some comments on a couple shops I talked to.

I went to Shop A and told the manager about the Pcode and wondered if they can fix the problem (with the solenoids). He said they don't fix transmissions but only remove and replace it with a rebuilt. He suggested that I inquire with Shop B that specializes in transmissions to fix my tranny and noted they're a bit pricey but do great work. So I called Shop B and the guy said they can rebuilt my current transmission for 1500+tax (a 2-3 day job).

Since I was still at Shop A, I inquired about their price to replace it with a rebuilt and they told me 1900.

Maybe I heard wrong. I'll be calling Shop B again tomorrow, but does the price sound legit - the work and labour involved? Any questions I should ask when I call back tomorrow?

I didn't have the courage to ask about the AV6 06-07 tranny, most shops seem to blow me off when I try recommending alternatives I get from the internet. We'll see though, I may try to bring it up with Shop B if they really are the experts with transmissions.
Dont get a rebuilt, dont have it rebuilt. Source out a lower mileage Accord V6 trans (06-07) on your own and have the shop install one of those. Dont call it a swap. Most shops dont want to touch "swaps". All they will have to do is swap over a few sensors from your trans before installing it back into the vehicle. It is a reliable trans unlike a rebuilt that will just fail again.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeppur, no doubt about it.....get the courage, just do the right thing and don't look back.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:02 PM
10th Gear

Just reviving this as the pcode came back today.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
I decided to do the drill and fill but only had time to do the 1x1 in April. For the past two months since then, the engine light never came on... until yesterday. That prompted me to go and buy more trans fluid to complete the 3x3. I also stopped by the local auto shop and asked the guy to look up the code for me and he said something about a solenoid (the transmission control ...something) and maybe trying to get that replaced by a mechanic.
Anyone know how to examine the solenoids and where to find it?

Just so you know, I will try to source and find out the cost of the AV6 tranny so I have this to fall back onto.
I hoping that I don't need to change the transmission just yet. So far, the only thing wrong with anything transmission related is that sometimes the gear change is a bit delayed, that is it revs a bit before it changes gears. But this happens very infrequently. Gear changes are still very smooth. and I'm now hoping it's this solenoid thing. I was unable to search the net for any diagrams or instructions on how to change the solenoid on this car.

Last edited by drey; 06-28-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:20 PM
10th Gear

Just reviving this as the pcode came back today.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
I decided to do the drill and fill but only had time to do the 1x3 in April.
I meant 1x3 (1 drill and fill, 3 bottles)

Just found a thread on cleaning solenoids. Just in case anyone is also looking for info (click here)

Last edited by drey; 06-28-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:52 PM
3rd Gear

I recently had that issue with my tranny too, it threw 2 codes. one was the 0730 and I forgot what the other one was (maybe 0710) but it read a "incorrect gear ratio" I took it to three local shops and they all suggested a rebuild bc it hard to know whether or not you might run into a different problem with a used tranny. It was brought to my attention too that you could swap it with an accord tranny bc the metals they used were up to par with the motor.

I ended getting a rebuild tho it was bit pricey bc of the labor for pulling it, but from what I understand, if you pull it your self and take it to them it'll save you a good chunk of cash. Plus most likely you'll get some kind of warranty. I paid about $2000 and got a 1 yr/36,000 mile warranty with mine and it shifts just as well as ever.