Tranny Failure Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009 | 11:32 PM
Advanced

Yup brought my 02 TLS last week from a used car dealer and notice jerk/stuttering while shifting gears yea!! Hope is under warranty still @ 95K miles. Just email acura near by about an hour way for schedule a repair for the recall. Cross finger and hope its free!!
Old 10-21-2009 | 12:06 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by OverGloc
Yup brought my 02 TLS last week from a used car dealer and notice jerk/stuttering while shifting gears yea!! Hope is under warranty still @ 95K miles. Just email acura near by about an hour way for schedule a repair for the recall. Cross finger and hope its free!!
You can call Acura with the VIN number and they can tell you immediately if the transmission is covered. So you don't have to wait for a service appointment.

Do you have any sort of return window on the car? If so, you might want to consider that option if the transmission is not covered under the extended warranty. Many 2002 TLs have already hit the 7 year 9 month limit on the warranty. If your TL is in that group it won't matter if it's still under 109,000 miles. Then you would have to hope for goodwill coverage.

A replacement transmission can run between $3,000 and $4,000.
Old 10-21-2009 | 11:28 AM
Advanced

Dont think i can return it. Small used car lot. How can i tell if my 7yrs 9months is up? I check on Acura website wit my VIN and it gave me a link to schedulea repair.
Old 10-21-2009 | 11:37 AM
Drifting

Dont think i can return it. Small used car lot. How can i tell if my 7yrs 9months is up? I check on Acura website wit my VIN and it gave me a link to schedulea repair.
Immediately call your local dealer or Acura's national customer care number and, given the VIN number, they can tell you when the warranty expires. Note that if the car has a salvage title, it is not covered.

Also, depending on the state you live in, there may be a law on the books that you can return a used car within so many days of purchase. Did you review the paperwork that you signed when you bought the car?
Old 10-21-2009 | 11:48 AM
Advanced

Just call acura my warranty expire nov 22 talking about CLOSE!! Thanks ACURAZINE!!
Old 10-21-2009 | 12:50 PM
Instructor

After 3 days of reading and taking notes on what to do about my 02 TL-s... I've lost the battle with acura/honda.

123,000 miles
96 months

I've talked to the service manager and discussed the issues, I've called acura corp a few times requesting assistance. Acura is not willing to help me with anything. My car did fall into the vin category, however because I am over it, they will not goodwill nor help with anything... any other suggestions before I take it to AAMCO?
Old 10-21-2009 | 02:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by kennedyhuynh
After 3 days of reading and taking notes on what to do about my 02 TL-s... I've lost the battle with acura/honda.

123,000 miles
96 months

I've talked to the service manager and discussed the issues, I've called acura corp a few times requesting assistance. Acura is not willing to help me with anything. My car did fall into the vin category, however because I am over it, they will not goodwill nor help with anything... any other suggestions before I take it to AAMCO?
It's sounds like you did all of the right things so you might not have any other options. Did you talk to the Service Manager in person? If not, you might want to do that.

You might want to collect a list of Acurazine forum members that have received some amount of goodwill coverage with cars that were further out of warranty than yours. You can just use this thread for that. I would just focus on the last 6 months or so of posts. You might be able to use that list to make a case for some help. Be sure to be courteous and friendly.

Finally, I don't know if I would take my car to AAMCO. I've heard a lot of AAMCO horror stories. Wherever you take it, make sure that you get the latest 2005 design improvements.

Good luck.
Old 10-21-2009 | 05:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Bob_F

You might want to collect a list of Acurazine forum members that have received some amount of goodwill coverage with cars that were further out of warranty than yours.

LOL. It will only make them angry since this is not an official Honda website. And they will probably tell you "we evaluate goodwill coverage on a case by case basis and number of variables go into it".
Old 10-22-2009 | 09:56 AM
Advanced

Is the loaner car they provide free of charge?
Old 10-22-2009 | 10:45 AM
2003 TL

Yup. Well, in my past dealer experiences it has been.
It's the least they can do after they bend you over &.. ..
Old 10-22-2009 | 01:23 PM
Advanced

Thanks again fellas looking forward to help out anyway i can.
Old 10-22-2009 | 02:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by russianDude
LOL. It will only make them angry since this is not an official Honda website. And they will probably tell you "we evaluate goodwill coverage on a case by case basis and number of variables go into it".
I wouldn't think that presenting the Service Manager with a list of those covered would make him or her "angry" just because Acurazine is not an official Acura website. Why should they care? It's a legitimate argument since Acura has clearly offered partial and even full repair coverage for many out of warranty repairs. Some of those TLs had many more miles and were much older than kennedyhuynh's TL. (Was it Phee that got full covderage for his 1999 TL?)

So it might be a longshot but it could be worthwhile for those that have tried all the other strategies.

In any case, it does seem as if Acura is starting to become less flexible on the out-of-warranty cars.
Old 10-22-2009 | 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Bob_F
In any case, it does seem as if Acura is starting to become less flexible on the out-of-warranty cars.
yeah, they want to be done with these cars for good. My dealer gave me standard BS, that these transmissions fail rarely, and I am just unlucky one, and that this new one should be perfect, and that they never seen anyone come back.
Old 10-23-2009 | 12:34 PM
Advanced

Just drop my car off and on the way up there 4th gear would delay going in on SS. What if acura said there nothing wrong and i know the tranny going out it's just a matter of time! My warranty end Nov 22 and after that im on my own. Any other suggestion on what i should tell them? I know it Jerk in D5 while changing gear and now 4th Gears on SS ain't working right.
Old 10-23-2009 | 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Just drop my car off and on the way up there 4th gear would delay going in on SS. What if acura said there nothing wrong and i know the tranny going out it's just a matter of time! My warranty end Nov 22 and after that im on my own. Any other suggestion on what i should tell them? I know it Jerk in D5 while changing gear and now 4th Gears on SS ain't working right.
There is nothing you can do, bring it in and have them do what they do. If its doing what you say its doing then they will see that and replace it.
Old 10-23-2009 | 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator

yeah, they want to be done with these cars for good. My dealer gave me standard BS, that these transmissions fail rarely, and I am just unlucky one, and that this new one should be perfect, and that they never seen anyone come back.
You cant blame Acura for what YOUR dealer is doing and treating its customers. Not all are treated like that. I would also mention that after this you will NOT be a customer of theirs even if you have to travel to a different dealer you are not happy with their service. (might want to mention that to the manager/owner of the dealer, and also fill out the complaint form to Acura about that dealer)
Old 10-23-2009 | 04:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
You cant blame Acura for what YOUR dealer is doing and treating its customers. Not all are treated like that. I would also mention that after this you will NOT be a customer of theirs even if you have to travel to a different dealer you are not happy with their service. (might want to mention that to the manager/owner of the dealer, and also fill out the complaint form to Acura about that dealer)
I got a good treatment, paid only 1/3 of the cost, loaner car.
I am just saying that if you ask most of the service managers about this problem, they will pretend that there is no big problem, just very rare problems
Old 10-25-2009 | 08:40 PM
Pro

My tranny died on my way home on Friday. Had to have it towed to an Acura dealer in Portland. I was told yesterday morning that Acura would help pay 5%, but my portion to pay would be $4200. Ouch. My 2003 TL-S fell outside the VIN range, and has ~106k miles. Do you think if I called Acura tomorrow they might pay more than 5%.

I don't expect much help from the Acura dealer (even though they've been really nice) since I've only brought my TL-S there once for service since I bought it in 2006 (easy service, front brakes, <$300.
Old 10-25-2009 | 08:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bonknhead
I don't expect much help from the Acura dealer (even though they've been really nice) since I've only brought my TL-S there once for service since I bought it in 2006 (easy service, front brakes, <$300.
you have to call Acura 800 number and open a case. this 5% is from dealer only. make sure the quote you got includes new ECU
Old 10-26-2009 | 01:46 AM
2nd Gear

Unhappy

Hello, two days ago I didn't even have an idea about all the problems with TL transmissions...
Yesterday I bought 2000 Tl with 197k miles with broken Axle... thinking it's the only problem... So today I replaced the axle, and found out that something is wrong with transmission...

So it will not move in reverse and crazy noise is coming from under the hood... It shifts perfect and smooth through all the gears in automatic or manual modes under usual or aggressive acceleration, but once in reverse crazy noise comes back and it doesn't move.
So if you go P to R (noise starts) to N(still noise) to D(noise disappears)
and from D(everything is great) to N(still good) to R(noise starts) to P(still noise until you turn off the car)

I read that everyone has problems with slipping between gears, but haven't found a single post where someone would have the problem with only reverse...
also what is weird is that when the car is off you can still move the gear shifter without pushing brake or using the special button(or key) from parking to anywhere and back...

I love the car to death everything is so great in it and I like how id drives too, but what is wrong with my tranny? and what is wrong with it being able to shift with the car off?

And BTW none of my check lights are on... except SRS, which is not important here I guess...

Last edited by Alex9101; 10-26-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-26-2009 | 09:31 AM
Advanced

Sorry to hear that alex. Did is just started? Didnt happen when you test drove it?
Old 10-26-2009 | 09:37 AM
Pro

you have to call Acura 800 number and open a case. this 5% is from dealer only. make sure the quote you got includes new ECU
I called Acura Customer Care, and they won't do anything for me since my TL-S is out of the VIN range. She suggested talking to the dealership's Service Manager who should ask the District Representative if they can assist with the $4200 cost to replace the transmission, ECU, etc.
Old 10-26-2009 | 01:54 PM
2nd Gear

Sorry to hear that alex. Did is just started? Didnt happen when you test drove it?
I didn't test drove it... The axle was broken...
Old 10-26-2009 | 04:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Admittedly a long shot, but make sure the axle is seated all the way in the trans. Also, make sure there isn't an extra snap ring preventing it from going in all the way.
Old 10-26-2009 | 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

I called Acura Customer Care, and they won't do anything for me since my TL-S is out of the VIN range. She suggested talking to the dealership's Service Manager who should ask the District Representative if they can assist with the $4200 cost to replace the transmission, ECU, etc.
That sucks, well keep fighting, see if you can get it down to $3000 including ECU, then I'd take it. Otherwise my suggestion have it done in a outside shop ($2500-3000), and sell it IMMEDIATELY.
Old 10-26-2009 | 10:16 PM
Instructor

Since I've given up the battle against Acura. I'm looking for my options. A lot of people have said they've gone to AAMCO and gotten their transmissions' fixed for roughly 3200. My question is, which is a better option getting a transmission rebuilt through AAMCO? or ordering a remanufactured transmission and finding someone to do the install?

from what i've read,

rebuilt = broken parts fixed
remanufactured = all parts fixed

is this correct?
Old 10-26-2009 | 10:27 PM
Advanced

Check local craiglist for low mileage Tranny?
Old 10-28-2009 | 06:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kennedyhuynh
from what i've read,
rebuilt = broken parts fixed
remanufactured = all parts fixed
is this correct?
Right about rebuilt, but remanufactured means that all soft parts are replaced, and all hard parts are examined and replaced if wear is shown or do not match the specs. In general remanufactured is better than rebuilt. AAMCO will be doing rebuild, where as acura will be giving you remanufactured.
$3200 to Aamco is a lot!!!

For $3200-3500 you should be able to get it from Acura (without ECU, and I bet AAMCO is not giving you one either). Acura transmission rebuilt after 2005 should be much better than what you get from Aamaco, also 3yr/36K warranty.

Last edited by russianDude; 10-28-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-29-2009 | 01:32 PM
03 TL-S

My original tranny just went out at 105k miles,
I have a third-party extended warranty thats going to cover it.

Even if I wasn't covered, Acura offerred to take care of 85-90% of the cost for the new tranny leaving me with 10-15%.

The service manager said of all the replacements he's dealt with, a lot of the goodwill from Acura was partially based on past service with that dealership.
(I just dropped $1500 for Timing belt service)

Just thought I'd share cuz my car was not in the VIN range and I was worried I'd have to foot-the-bill.
Old 10-29-2009 | 02:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DIRTYSOUTH_TYPE-S
My original tranny just went out at 105k miles,
I have a third-party extended warranty thats going to cover it.

Even if I wasn't covered, Acura offerred to take care of 85-90% of the cost for the new tranny leaving me with 10-15%.

The service manager said of all the replacements he's dealt with, a lot of the goodwill from Acura was partially based on past service with that dealership.
(I just dropped $1500 for Timing belt service)

Just thought I'd share cuz my car was not in the VIN range and I was worried I'd have to foot-the-bill.

This is very true. I picked up my TL-S yesterday. I didn't need a new ECU since the tranny was replaced by the previous owner in 2006 and already had an updated ECU. My cost was $2800. My car's VIN was out of range, and I had nearly 106K on the odomenter. I got very little goodwill from Acura, probably because I had almost all of my service done at independent Honda/Acura specialty shops (timing belt, etc).
Old 10-29-2009 | 05:40 PM
Suzuka Master

This is very true. I picked up my TL-S yesterday. I didn't need a new ECU since the tranny was replaced by the previous owner in 2006 and already had an updated ECU.
Shit, here is another one post 2005. How many miles did this transmission hold?
Old 10-29-2009 | 07:21 PM
Pro

i have a 2000 tl with almost 95k and original tranny looks strong "knock on wood"
Old 10-30-2009 | 01:02 AM
2003 TL

Originally Posted by Vman159
i have a 2000 tl with almost 95k and original tranny looks strong "knock on wood"
oh it'll go. right when it's the worst possible time financially

i just had mine rebuilt for about $2k. i know it'll go out again soon, so i guess within the next 12k miles i'm going to try and sell it.
Old 10-30-2009 | 06:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by webmastir
oh it'll go. right when it's the worst possible time financially

i just had mine rebuilt for about $2k. i know it'll go out again soon, so i guess within the next 12k miles i'm going to try and sell it.
Its tough to sell it in private sale because most of the people will google cars they are about to buy, the only easy option is trade in, but they will pay so little that you might consider buying another transmission. I need 5 more years out of this car, at that point I can just toss it out when transmission goes.
Old 10-30-2009 | 09:39 AM
Pro

Shit, here is another one post 2005. How many miles did this transmission hold?
40k miles.
Old 10-30-2009 | 08:26 PM
Advanced

Well a little update, Just got my car back today and seem everything is doing fine. I ask the service guy about the 3yrs or 36k miles warranty and told Only if you have pay some in but in my case Acura paid for everything! So warranty will end in Nov 22 with this replacement tranny Oh Well Thanks Acura.
Old 10-31-2009 | 02:09 AM
Pro

Well a little update, Just got my car back today and seem everything is doing fine. I ask the service guy about the 3yrs or 36k miles warranty and told Only if you have pay some in but in my case Acura paid for everything! So warranty will end in Nov 22 with this replacement tranny Oh Well Thanks Acura.
I'd rather have your deal - free tranny at $0 cost and three weeks warranty vs $2800 tranny with 3 years warranty. Your tranny will last as long as mine. I predict that we'll both sell our cars within the next couple of years.
Old 11-03-2009 | 01:11 PM
Advanced

Here we go again... tranny is bad. This time so much sooner. Car now has 131k miles on it. I hope they can still give me a new one. This one lasted 20k miles. Was replaced Sept. last year under warranty, so I am hopeful the give me a break....
Old 11-03-2009 | 01:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by gambitnuke
Here we go again... tranny is bad. This time so much sooner. Car now has 131k miles on it. I hope they can still give me a new one. This one lasted 20k miles. Was replaced Sept. last year under warranty, so I am hopeful the give me a break....
Don't you get a 12 month/12K warranty with a warranty replacement? You're a few months off, but if that's the case maybe they'll cut you some slack, especially if you're a good service customer.
Old 11-03-2009 | 02:03 PM
Suzuka Master

40k miles.
You have so many performance mods... Not sure if your failure is 100% transmission fault, or you have all of these mods and don't take advantage of them?

Quick Reply: Tranny Failure Thread