Tranny Failure Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 06:03 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prospective Buyer

I want a TL really bad, but I am glad I came across this thread because I didn't know they had tranny problems until now. So my question is, is there a such thing as an aftermarket tranny?? May be a dumb question but I will ask just the same.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Las
1st Gear

tranny failure 02 TL-S

my tranny just broke (02 TL-S, 64K) I went on the net only to find that's a common problem. I don not have extended warranty. Having heard about some recalls do I have any leverage to have it covered under warranty or it's a lost case. Any similra experience out there?
Old 02-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Cruisin'

Transmission Failure

I am sorry to hear all of the tranny failures in the second generation TL's. I don't know how true this is....but I have heard that the main reason the tranny's are failing are do to Acura using the 4 speed transmission casing for the five speed automatic Acura transmission. This caused all of the internal workings of the transmission to become smaller....example the clutch packs. Generally, the second gear clutch pack fails and causes the transmission to slip in to neutral and then find third. That entire series of transmissions sucked....I had a 01 Accord Coupe with the six cylinder and by the time I traded it the torque converter was having issues and downshifts were extremely rough...acutally barking the tires. I don't understand how Honda/Acura can be so highly regarded for their engineering, but can't build a transmission to last more than 30-60,000 miles. Fricken rediculous...
Old 02-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Las
my tranny just broke (02 TL-S, 64K) I went on the net only to find that's a common problem. I don not have extended warranty. Having heard about some recalls do I have any leverage to have it covered under warranty or it's a lost case. Any similra experience out there?

You are covered to 100K; you should have to spend $0 out of pocket - they will pick up the rental tab.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BooyanTL
but can't build a transmission to last more than 30-60,000 miles. Fricken rediculous...
Yes, there are plenty of people on this board who have had problems. There are also plenty of people on this board, as well as thousands not on this board who have not had problems. There are Honda transmissions that have lasted longer than 30-60,000 miles. The one in my daughter's Honda has lasted over 150,000 miles. This thread is valuable, but it also tends to make the tranny problem appear more common than they really are which is also 'fricken rediculous [sic]'.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Airforceones
I want a TL really bad, but I am glad I came across this thread because I didn't know they had tranny problems until now. So my question is, is there a such thing as an aftermarket tranny?? May be a dumb question but I will ask just the same.
I don't know about TL specific applications, but there is a company called Intense, that makes aftermarket trannies for other cars. For example, the Pontiac GTP guys, that are boasting 400+hp, usually have Intense rebuild the tranny, if the tranny self destructs. It costs about 3-4 grand I think to have Intense make your tranny bullet proof, which coincedently is about the same cost to rebuild the tranny anyways. I doubt Acura would pick up the tab for it tho...
Old 02-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, here's an interesting question I haven't seen mentioned - do the TL-P and TL-S use the same tranny?? If so, I'd think the TL-S would have a higher failure rate, since it's pumping more HP and torque through it, which would cause more heat and thus, more failures.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Advanced

Yes, they use the same tranny...And yes that theory is pretty accurate, that's true with any car though...

More power=More heat
Old 02-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Transmission Class Action Case

I found this link recently. If we all join to get Honda/Acura attention to fix their problem on the on going transmission issue. Transmission issue happens to 1999 vehicles, and why didn't they fix it on the later models. Even on early 2004 TL has transmission problem. They need to fix the problem rather than telling us "only under some driving conditions".

http://www.kabolaw.com/pages/default.asp?pid=129
Old 02-14-2005, 06:50 PM
TL-S navi driver

Originally Posted by HomeDepot12
todorable,
insightful post. I've got the same car and my first tranny went out @ 64k. I can't imagine having to replace it every 12k. Hope they get it right for you. I know one thing for sure, this car is trade bait in about a year. Can't stand the mystery to when it may happen again. It's the first time I've ever been able to afford a near-luxury car. Been disappointing.

I know the disappointment with expecting this fab car and feeling like yuou ended up with a lemon. But, in my little world, we make LEMONADE (Lynchburg lemonade that is!!@ **wink, wink) You still have a beautiful car, remember that! Also, the dealership here in Sanford has been WONDERFUL at taking care of this problem. I dunno if I can say who they are, but they have that ex-dolphin quarterback in their ads...hint, hint...lol. I am sure your dealership will be just as courteous. Try to stay positive. It is just part of my regular service. LOL>>>"I am here for my 75K, oh, and a new transmission please...."

MMMMMMMMMM...lemonade.....

{Peace All}
Old 02-14-2005, 06:54 PM
TL-S navi driver

Originally Posted by BIG_KOUT
question....... still on my first tranny, almost 19k miles on it, but twice in the past month when I come to a complete stop, my engine kinda girgles and tries to find the neutral rpm rev. That lasts about 3 or 4 seconds and all is fine after that. Is my transmission on its way out? or is this unrelated? Oiljet was not installed when I get the recall notice because I took the car into the dealer and they said that everything looked good.

PLEASE give me some responses.............

OH NO!!!! By the time you read this, it will be too late. Say goodbye to the original smooth-shifting tranny, and hello to the rebuilt crapper break-your-friggin-neck-tranny!!
Old 02-14-2005, 06:58 PM
TL-S navi driver

Originally Posted by Scotten
Okay, here's an interesting question I haven't seen mentioned - do the TL-P and TL-S use the same tranny?? If so, I'd think the TL-S would have a higher failure rate, since it's pumping more HP and torque through it, which would cause more heat and thus, more failures.

well, i dunno the answer to that, but I am on tranny #5 ('02 TL-s) and my friend has only had one replacement and she is over 90K ('02 CL)...makes sense as to why I have many more failures than most.....
Old 02-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by MikePA
Yes, there are plenty of people on this board who have had problems. There are also plenty of people on this board, as well as thousands not on this board who have not had problems. There are Honda transmissions that have lasted longer than 30-60,000 miles. The one in my daughter's Honda has lasted over 150,000 miles. This thread is valuable, but it also tends to make the tranny problem appear more common than they really are which is also 'fricken rediculous [sic]'.

The Honda transmissions don't experience the same type of failure like the Acura transmissions. I have experienced and known of more problems with the Acura transmission. Friend of mine went through three transmissions in his Acura CL and the final transmission still had vibrations. Every time I go to the Acura dealer there are at least three Acura TLs (2nd Generation) on the lift awaiting a new/rebuilt transmission. Acura/Honda wouldn't have extended the warranty on the transmission and torque converter if there wasn't a major problem. Still ridiculous (spelling)....and unexceptable for $30,000 plus car(new).
Old 02-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Drifting

Faulty Transmission

I totally agree with you.

I am sure all of us want the transmission problem TO BE FIXED, not just extended the warranty. Extended warranty is just a way of not fixing the problem. Even if the vehicle is over 100k or out of warranty, they should fix this KNOWN PROBLEM at any time when it occurs because the problem was never fixed in the first place. Do you all think they would extend the warranty if there is no problem? I don't think so. Extended warranty is a smart way to get consumers pay for (Honda/Acura) manufacturer's problem when they call it OUT OF WARRANTY. Remember, warranty fixes any unexpected problems, NOT KNOWN PRROBLEMS. Known problems are considered "DEFECTIVE UNDER WORKMANSHIP" and SHOULD BE FIXED PROPERLY regardless of warranty.

My point of view that they told us 1.6% have problem is to fool us. It is 100% problem. However, they figured how many owners are really utilizing the vehicles to the vehicles' full extend and vehicles' ability that these vehicles were built for. Take one example, some of us don't even dare to use the Sport Shift anymore to avoid transmission problem. I am sure some of those owners who are really taking care of their vehicles, don't drive over 75mph, only speed up gratually to not hurt the engine, drive 35 mph in surface streets, such and such, will be regreted when it's time for the known problems to show. And it is too bad your cars are now not under warranty. over 7years or over 100k.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Intermediate

interesting - I was going to ALLDATA to look up information on the TL-S and a window pops up with this...

"IMPORTANT NOTICE

The American Honda Motor Company, Inc. has requested ALLDATA restrict access to Acura and Honda repair information by individual consumers. You will unfortunately not be able to register for access to Acura or Honda vehicle repair information, technical service bulletins or recalls.

We kindly request that all comments should be directed to:
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
P. O. Box 2206
700 Van Ness Ave.
Torrance, CA 90501

Honda: 800-999-1009
Acura: 800-382-2238

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you."
Old 02-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Drifting

Good information. Why don't everyone of us write to them and ask when are they going fix this known problem "defective material workmanship". We don't want to wait for it to break (are they telling us they don't have enough evidence of the transmission problem?) , we don't want their extended warranty, WE WANT THEM TO FIX THEIR KNOWN PROBLEM. This is clearly not about warranty repair, it is DEFECTIVE MATERIAL WORKMANSHIP PROBLEM.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:55 PM
TL-S navi driver

Ok...thanks for the Rah-rah-Go Honda. Did they pay you well for that plug? We are not talking about your daughter's Honda here, we are talking about TLs. Go back to your own room.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Drifting

I don't think you know all and every owner of Honda/Acura unless you work for Honda/Acura. If you are working for Honda/Acura, then that explains your comment. If not, how do you know they don't have problems even if you don't know them...must be psychic. Any chance of selling that honda transmission for my TL transmission replacement....
Old 02-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
If this was anything else, I'd agree with you. But not on this transmission. I think it is as bad as people are making it out to be. I know about 4 or 5 people that own TLs and V6 accords. And EVERY single one of them has gotten a new tranny installed. Myself included. When I went to the dealer, the first thing they asked me, was if I had the tranny replaced yet, which implies they do this a lot.

As for Honda's other trannies lasting a long time, that's really irrelevant. One reason being, as TL owners, we could care less if Honda knows how to build a tranny for a civic, etc. Another, being that the other honda cars do not have as much hp and torque as the TL, so they wouldn't exactly be stressing the tranny as much. (Is your daughter's Accord even a V6, or is it an I-4?)

Look at GM for example. They're regarded as building some of the world's best automatics. The 4T65E transaxle spends it's life sitting behind V6 engines with upwards of 280+ pound ft of torque, and a V8 with 325 pound ft of torque. The tranny in the TL only needs to handle 238 pound ft of torque, and it can't even do that reliably.

The other poster could be right about size though, with regards to using a 4 speed casing with the 5 speed tranny. But even if that were the case, that's still a puny transmission. When I drained the TL tranny, only 3 quarts of fluid came out.

When I drained the 4T65E tranny in my Pontiac GTP (which is only a 4 speed), 8.5 quarts came out. (It has a dry capacity of 13 quarts). And it has a filter in addition to it's magnetic catch. Even after 115,000 miles of hard driving (I have a lead foot), I haven't found any shavings in the tranny (magnetic catch or the filter), nor had any issues, or burned any fluid. (knocking on wood). Acura on the other hand, tried to void the warranty on my TL, because the fluid was "severely burnt" with only something like 30,000 miles on the car, because they thought I "neglected" the tranny.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:24 PM
Drifting

So, if someone has a different opinion they aren't allowed to voice it or they get accused of working for Honda/Acura or get told to 'go to their room'? Great wit, must go over big at the prom.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Burning Brakes

I know 3 other people, people that had no idea there was a transmission issue and could care less about forums, who have had there trannys fail. I'm running out of people I know that have TL's and haven't had a tranny issue.

The Budget rental people who ferried me back to the dealer to pick-up my car said they have a regular shuttle service to the Dealership with people who are in for tranny replacements on TLs. The vast majority of people with these problems DON'T know of these forums and don't contribute to our tally; if they did I'm sure we'd be shocked at the real numbers.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:53 AM
Drifting

I am sure everybody appreciates opinions, opionions that helps to resolve problems. But please don't make up fault statement, "...thousands not on this board who have not had problems...". What about "...thousands on this board have problems and thousands not on this board have problems..." if I quote it like you the other way. But, I don't know thousands of people like you. dont you think honda can last at least 150k, and TLs last only 50k and that is no problem? You are just being non-sensence that is what people are talking about, not realy your opinion. And, just like you said, so if there is a problem people should not speak up of their opinions. We all know Honda/Acura have good vehicles, but known, repeated problems must be fixed regardless of warranty. We don't need extended warranty, we need the problems to be fixed. Warranty repair is for unexpected problems, not known repeated problems.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:17 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by acutee
We all know Honda/Acura have good vehicles, but known, repeated problems must be fixed regardless of warranty. We don't need extended warranty, we need the problems to be fixed. Warranty repair is for unexpected problems, not known repeated problems.
I agree,
Old 02-16-2005, 09:28 AM
Drifting

(Editing time expired).

What prompted my comment are the recurring questions from noobs about the tranny problems. Yes, they are serious. Yes, Honda/Acura should fix the problem. Yes, it's something any potential buyer should be aware of. However, noobs shouldn't come to the conclusion, that all TLs either have or will have tranny problems. There's a whole 'nuther thread about those who have not had tranny problems, some with a lot of miles on their cars. That's all. Peace.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Severin
The Budget rental people who ferried me back to the dealer to pick-up my car said they have a regular shuttle service to the Dealership with people who are in for tranny replacements on TLs. The vast majority of people with these problems DON'T know of these forums and don't contribute to our tally; if they did I'm sure we'd be shocked at the real numbers.
The Hertz guys who rented me a Taurus while my TL was in the shop said the same thing.

Personally, my biggest concern is the 2nd and 3rd tranny failures. I can forgive them for the first one, but after that they should make my transmission bulletproof.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:56 PM
TL-S navi driver

The Hertz guys who rented me a Taurus while my TL was in the shop said the same thing.

Personally, my biggest concern is the 2nd and 3rd tranny failures. I can forgive them for the first one, but after that they should make my transmission bulletproof.

Right On!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed. The people I know or have heard of with this ridiculous issue for a luxury car don't even know car forums exist...

This problem is huge. And will only get worse as more people complain or buy used Acura TL/CLs thinking its a quality car.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:39 PM
10th Gear

Angry Lemon Law question

I have transmission failure at 62000 and Acura dealer replaced the transmission.
After replacing my RPM zooms up very high...say 3000 at 20 to 30 mph. My gas mileage went down like crazy. to 280 miles for whole tank from 380 miles.

I took car back to dealer and as per them everything is normal and did not find any problem in the car. So I called Acura client services and I told them the problem As per them, if dealer did not find any problem They can not do anything.

I told him , If you do not take any action..only option I have to go is to hire a Lawyer. As per him , "I'm more than welcome to do so".

So anyone has any idea, on following:-

1) Do I qualify for Lemon Law?
2) How much cost and time is involved in this?

thanks
Old 02-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Cruiser

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by patilsd
I have transmission failure at 62000 and Acura dealer replaced the transmission.
After replacing my RPM zooms up very high...say 3000 at 20 to 30 mph. My gas mileage went down like crazy. to 280 miles for whole tank from 380 miles.

I took car back to dealer and as per them everything is normal and did not find any problem in the car. So I called Acura client services and I told them the problem As per them, if dealer did not find any problem They can not do anything.

I told him , If you do not take any action..only option I have to go is to hire a Lawyer. As per him , "I'm more than welcome to do so".

thanks
I live in Maryland and I contacted the BBB and they contacted Honda/Acura. I Requested that they either buy the car back or replace it. I just wanted to get a reaction because I know they will not do neither. I had 133,000 on it when my third tranny went out. I'm just fed up at this point. Got a phone call from Honda/Acura saying they will not buy back the car or replace it but to call them if I wanted to discuss the issue.

I feel we have a class action suit here. No car should have multiple tranny failures. Honda/Acura needs to address this issue. Replacing trannies with faulty trannies is not the solution. I have ask people before if they would like to contact a lawyer to see if we have a case. I think we do. If you all would like, we can contact a lawyer to reprsent us in this situation. I swear, if my tranny goes up one more time, I will be at one of the corporate offices raising hell.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by patilsd

thanks

Can you ride in the car with them and have them experience it with you as it happens? That is rediculous. I would contact Acura corporate first.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:33 AM
10th Gear

Angry Class action lawsuit...

Originally Posted by Severin
Can you ride in the car with them and have them experience it with you as it happens? That is rediculous. I would contact Acura corporate first.

I did ride with the Acura Dealer service manager. As per him everything is fine.

Can we all unite together and file a law action suit? Does any one know good lawyer to whoem we can send email and our case numbers opened at Acura client services?

Unless we unite we are helpless... any opinion...suggesstions???
Old 02-18-2005, 09:04 AM
TL-S navi driver

there is a law office in california who has apparently started action against Hona America, but I have not been able to get in touch with anyone. You all are welcome to try as well......here is the link...

www.pkns.com

There is nothing on there about the acura suit, but I read about it online somewhere, I just can't remember what message board I was on.the email address to file a complaint/ tell your story is :

hondacomplaints@pkns.com

Please let me know if you hear anything back and I will do the same. I got my 5th tranny 3 weeks ago and it just blew!! LMAO. This is getting ridiculous. I am a full time student and can't afford a car payment (car is paid for) and with the value of my 34K car (new) now being only 13K....well...it just makes me sad. I feel like I have been raped by this company who has half the world believing they are A+ quality. Well, they should live up to that!

Also, did you all know they are putting these SAME trannies in the 3rd generation too? It is like they are laughing in our faces. Read about a girl with 12K on her car, 2nd tranny! oh well.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:09 AM
TL-S navi driver

ok, I found the site I originally saw this on......

/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24415

you will have to copy and paste into your browser window.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:10 AM
TL-S navi driver

hmmm...didnt copy whole address......wonder why...lemme try it again

/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24415
Old 02-18-2005, 09:11 AM
TL-S navi driver

ok...well the first part of this should be:

/forums.......

very strange that it shows the whole address in the type screen, but then cuts it off like that when you post. wonder why.

I am so annoying, I know. Have a great day all!
Old 02-18-2005, 09:13 AM
TL-S navi driver

omg...it did it again
maybe a competition thing. how funny

lets try to trick the puter.....first part are those three little w's

then , then the dot com part......hope that works
Old 02-18-2005, 09:14 AM
TL-S navi driver

too funny....it is one word with two words in it...got that? acura is the first word, world is the second.....
Old 02-18-2005, 09:19 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by todorable
too funny....it is one word with two words in it...got that? acura is the first word, world is the second.....
I imagine it's this sites software that's intercepting URLs and messing with them. Same filter that doesn't let you post a URL to honda curaworld.com.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Cruiser

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
just contacted http://www.lemonlaw.com/ says I have case. Free of charge, will seek compensation for tranny. Has handled other TL cases.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Advanced

I would watch out for those sharks, I mean lawyers. They only get paid if you get paid, and of course they're going to look out for themselves first.

Quick Reply: Tranny Failure Thread