Tranny Failure Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008 | 04:20 PM
Team Owner

by now you should know the safety procedure!- pull off road- turn off car- wait 15-30 minutes then restart engine- will usually get you home with all the gears working.

What warranty amount did acura say was with the current trans-
it keeps changing, but 1 year is normal and 3 years 36k miles if you paid partial on the replacement, but at 90k that should have been a freebie anyway.
The current limits are 7years PLUS 9 months from cars first date in service OR 109k miles, whichever comes first.

Acura has been known to ~goodwill~ well past that- and one would think in this case they should do it!!
Old 05-01-2008 | 04:38 PM
Instructor

Cool

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
by now you should know the safety procedure!- pull off road- turn off car- wait 15-30 minutes then restart engine- will usually get you home with all the gears working.

What warranty amount did acura say was with the current trans-
it keeps changing, but 1 year is normal and 3 years 36k miles if you paid partial on the replacement, but at 90k that should have been a freebie anyway.
The current limits are 7years PLUS 9 months from cars first date in service OR 109k miles, whichever comes first.

Acura has been known to ~goodwill~ well past that- and one would think in this case they should do it!!
we'll see what happens with the dealer, i know its not their fault, but they could be much more vocal to honda

sometimes i get the feeling this is like crappy capacitors in motherboards which are put in intentionally to keep you coming back, i know honda can make cars which do 300,000 with basic maintenances, at this point all they have is excuses, im going to try and get a new transmission and not a manufactured one, we'll see how that goes :P i wish dr. evil was a proven solution....i love the engine so much, this car would be have been considered a classic example of honda engineering prowess rather than a failure no more reliable than a car from 50 years ago

i don't want to be a hater, i have all the mods you can on the car without going FI or nitrous and honestly, i know its a touring car and FWD but I would continue to this car more if I could trust it, just venting because I was hopping to get more than 40k out this transmission
Old 05-01-2008 | 05:47 PM
Team Owner

The replacement units made since mid 2005 are performing better than older ones.
Speculation of improved oil passages, because they use an actual NEW case- but the parts inside are a mix of perfectly good used parts and certain parts are always new.

You CAN NOT buy a brand new everything transmisson from acura- you would have to hijack the truck enroute to the factory to get one!
Old 05-01-2008 | 09:47 PM
hates the winter

So last night I was cruizing at 50mph in my 03 TL-S with 55k on the clock, light turned yellow and I decided to punch it to make it through. Well the revs shot up and the car took a few seconds to downshift and move.

So I tried this a few more times, and it seems that 50mph downshifts are the trouble spot for me. Everything else is fine, smooth shifts, takes off like a bat out of hell, downshifts perfectly at other speeds.

I have an appointment next week for some basic service and I want to have a tech come for a ride with me while I drive the car and duplicate this for them. I'd love to get a new tranny before I get stranded, or before my warranty is up since I plan on and want to keep this car for a long time. I love it.
Old 05-01-2008 | 09:57 PM
Team Owner

thats how the tech test drives it for trans problems- a few specific lower speeds cruising and stomp the gas. Looking to see what 2nd and 3 gear does.
It either does a proper positive downshift and launch- or the clutch plates are toast-
which is what you have

Go IN and speak with the service MANAGER- explain you have trans symptoms and are scheduled for some basic stuff- what day do they REALLY want your car so the trans guy(s) are available to inspect it.
Certain days of the week are busier than others and mondays are a no-no
Old 05-01-2008 | 10:00 PM
Team Owner

chris- have you verified 7/109 coverage on your car?- not all 03s automatically covered,
but we can get you thru the ~goodwill~ process if not
register and make sure- check the recall section
http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx
need your VIN number handy for that- and you can store the radio and nav security codes there for free too
Old 05-02-2008 | 01:12 PM
hates the winter

chris- have you verified 7/109 coverage on your car?- not all 03s automatically covered,
but we can get you thru the ~goodwill~ process if not
register and make sure- check the recall section
http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx
need your VIN number handy for that- and you can store the radio and nav security codes there for free too
I am not under the extended warranty. My car is CPO and my powertrain is covered until June 2010 or 100k. So it would be covered under a regular warranty.

I have a very good relationship with my dealer (service, sales, parts) as we have been giving them business for 14years. Purchased 4 cars, two of my friends purchased cars with me as a referance. So Im sure if there is a problem they will handle it without a hassle. The service writer is a friend of the family as well.

I'm scheduled to drop it off monday morning and recieve a loaner car for the day. I will talk to the manager, he always likes to ask what I'm having done when I get there so he can schedule it so my car is out first. It's going for the coolant flush and trans fluid 1x drain. I want the tech to come with me while I drive the car so I can show him. You are spot on with the 2nd gear shifts because it's fine all other times. No hesitation, slips, bangs, clunks.

The current trans in the car looks to have been replaced since it has the blue bolts, but it has an external oil jet kit installed. When my friend worked at Acura he said according to the records the car had it's 2nd gear replaced. To me that is really weird because they are suppose to inspect 2nd gear and if it's discolored they replace the unit, not just the gear.
Old 05-02-2008 | 01:32 PM
Team Owner

since you have the cool warranty and a known trans failure symptom- skip the trans fluid drain- its a total waste of money since the replacement unit you will be getting comes with fresh fluid
The tech will spot the prob as soon as yo utell him its there. They like replacing warranty transmissions and do their best to inspect for any symptom!
Like I say- they can replace my trans every year- saves me the trouble of a fluid change.

Maybe the first attempt several years ago-- was before they knew what was wrong and they did a gear install- or more likely, your friend had only partial info on what was being done.

The fresh trans will make it like a new car- just make sure you have a clean fuel induction system and good spark plugs- for best fuel economy
Maybe even try the dealer fuel injection cleaning service instead of the trans fluid change!!
Ask your friend that works there now- is their cleaning method special in some way?
a special machine?- do they happen to know who makes the cleaner and how is it done- the Wynns stuff- the honda stuff? seafoooooam?????
lets get a fair comparison to seafoam and the dealer way.
Old 05-02-2008 | 02:34 PM
hates the winter

He no longer works there. He pulled up the info on the computer about the cars complete history. (I guess like that number you can call) He worked for a different Acura dealership.

Yes, instead of the fluid change I'm going to talk to them about the symptoms, and IF they replace it I will have the fuel injection service performed. It can't hurt. My plugs should be pretty good at 55k. I am getting 27.07mpg 85% highway 15%city. The car is in excellent overall condition. I just hope they don't say "change the fluid and see how it is after that" I change the trans fluid every 15k so it's clean.

I will ask for details about the fuel service and what is exactly done and report back here. Thank you very much for the info, and your help. =)
Old 05-02-2008 | 02:53 PM
Team Owner

you have failure mode just like I did- as long as it does it often enough that it will happen when they have the car...taking the tech for a ride is good plan too- as you know

55k miles is actually a good time to do the plugs- its pretty easy if you have basic skills and can follow a DIY
dealer charges 25 per plug- for the part! we get the same ones for 7 bucks each at kragen type store- 1.0-1.5 hours of your time to install
While the book says good till 100k, gas prices going where they are- 5 a gallon is going to be a found memory- maximum performance from the plugs starts to fade about 60k
clean fresh plugs in a hi energy ignition with clean injectors and clean internals and a fresh transmission- all the better for you and not for ~them~
Old 05-02-2008 | 05:25 PM
hates the winter

Yeah, I think the plugs are rated at 90k but I never follow that. I'll look for the DIY on here and plan that for an upcoming weekend. The fronts will be easy, but the rears look like a pain. I'll also have to purchase a torque wrench. My front mount was replaced under warranty about 8k ago, if they replace the trans I want them to do the side one this time, I'll mention movement and do the visual two foot (gas/brake) inspection
Old 05-02-2008 | 05:49 PM
Team Owner

only the front mount is easier to change when trans removed
The side one is easy if you are doing timing belt at 100k
The trick to the rear plugs is making a 9 inch extension (use a 3 and 6 together-
if you dont own one)
that fits down in the hole perfect and there is a bump in the firewall where your hand fits once the ratchet is on.
Its very easy and the diy list step by step- each tool needed etc.
I am all in favor of torque wrench useage, but if one does not own that tool- there is a hand spec- something like finger tight (using the socket/extension) and then add 1/3 of a turn. NGK Iridium highly regarded plugs
Old 05-02-2008 | 08:17 PM
hates the winter

Thanks again for all your help. I will for sure use your tips at the dealership, and use ONLY NGK iridium plugs when I change them in the near future. I'll also be sure to post in the regular forum about the fuel service. Tranny issue will be posted here.
Old 05-05-2008 | 05:45 PM
hates the winter

Well the transmission is fine, I couldnt really duplicate the symptom I had from the other night. (Maybe it's because it wasn't hot enough, but I drove around for a while with the tech) He said I have one of the smoothest shifting transmissions he has ever felt in a 2nd gen TL. lol Also complimented me on how nice and clean the car is.

The service manager said not to worry, and there won't be a warranty problem with my car although I don't qualify for the 109k warranty they will honor it if it fails. They know I take care of the car, and are well aware of the bad transmissions these cars have. Gave me half off on the trans fluid change, flushed the coolant, replaced the wiper blades, and found that my driver side window switch will need to be replaced (warranty) They had to order the part so I have to come back in a week or so.

Had a nice 07 TSX to drive around all day, they checked my tire pressure, added washer fluid and DID NOT wash the car (thank god) I totally forgot to even mention the fuel injection service, and next time I go in for service I'm having the brake fluid flushed as well.

So no trans replacement for me yet, they said if the did it they would get in trouble because there was no failure, or obvious slippage, engine codes. They need to open the trannies and take pics of the failed parts in order to be paid for the replacement. So I'll just ride it out for now with this transmission.
Old 05-07-2008 | 08:44 AM
1st Gear

Considering

I'm in the market for an 02-03 TL Type-S. I love these cars and have decided thats what i want, although the transmission problems are scaring me away. Does anyone recommend buying one regardless of the tranny problems? Also, has Acura came out with a permanent fix, or would it be a lifelong problem of the car?
Old 05-07-2008 | 11:09 AM
Team Owner

asked a hundred times and answered just as many
Try using the search feature of azine- prob never fixed even with the newer 04 05 cars!
BUY an Extended warranty to 10 years 150k miles and you will have coverage at least- otherwise 109k miles 7yrs+9 months is all yo uget- and late 03s dont get that automatically!
They are nice cars as long as you know of the $4000 trans problem
Old 05-08-2008 | 07:41 PM
8th Gear

Question Tranny revving during idle....

I left my car in idle for about 8 minutes or so today (I haven't started it for about 3 days before this).... and all of a sudden it started revving up and down by itself..... It goes up to about 2500 rpm or so.... has anyone had this symptom before? This is my 2nd tranny.... and it has about 79k miles. I just don't remember having this symptom on my first one.... so I really don't know if it is a symptom of a bad tranny or not....
Old 05-09-2008 | 06:28 AM
hates the winter

idle air control valve needs to be replaced
Old 05-09-2008 | 08:17 PM
4th Gear

Just an update... I just got my car back after 5 days (Thurs.-Mon.) from the dealer and everything seems to be going good, hopefully my new tranny will be good for a while, better be a long ass while . The dealer took pretty good care of me, even provided a loaner 09 TSX which was pretty fun to drive while i had it.
Old 05-10-2008 | 12:05 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChrisQ1980
idle air control valve needs to be replaced
If it is an IACV problem, it can also be cleaned. There's a DIY thread somewhere on the forum.
Old 05-12-2008 | 10:54 AM
10th Gear

01 TL tranny not available says dealer !

So our 01 3.2 TL's second tranny has gone kaput. Got 197,000 on car.
Took to ocala acura dealer where we bought and have had serviced, the serv. mang. said acura no longer makes the tranny for the 01 tl anymore! If acura did, he said we would pay labor .
That they would have to get one from a third party and it would cost us $3800
Is this a bunch of crap or what?
What are my options?

thanks
Old 05-12-2008 | 02:36 PM
hates the winter

The transmission is the same for the 00-03. It's the 5 speed automatic. It's a bunch of BS
Old 05-12-2008 | 05:11 PM
10th Gear

Thanx chrisQ . They "the manager" said it HAD to be an 01 tranny, and that they didn't make them anymore. I thought "Yeah Right" buddy.

So the 2000-2003 5spd auto is interchangeable right?
Then they shouldn't have a hard time getting one fom the acura warehouse.
Old 05-12-2008 | 05:44 PM
Intermediate

TL transmission availabilty

TL transmissions are NOT currently available on a customer pay basis. They are using all of them for warranty replacements. I just tried to get one today and it CANNOT be done. Only way to get one is if Acura goodwill warranties a portion of the cost of replacement then you can get one
Old 05-12-2008 | 06:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by acuraservice
TL transmissions are NOT currently available on a customer pay basis. They are using all of them for warranty replacements. I just tried to get one today and it CANNOT be done. Only way to get one is if Acura goodwill warranties a portion of the cost of replacement then you can get one
See if you can get them to goodwill some nominal amount, like $20, to meet the requirements of that policy.

Good luck.
Old 05-13-2008 | 10:03 AM
10th Gear

latest offer from acura rep and dealer: They will put in a USED tranny with 50,000mi on it for $2500. I think NOT!
Needless to say I'm picking the car up today from dealer and taking it to a local tranny shop, where the tranny will be rebuilt with a 2yr.-24000mi warranty for $2800.
So much for Acura and them standing behind their "reliable luxary cars"
Thanks to all who posted on this thread and my problem with the info they provided.
Old 05-13-2008 | 10:49 AM
Team Owner

Considering you have 195,000 Miles on the car, how much goodwill can you really expect for something that has a miles limit of 109k- you are only 90,000 miles past that- !!!!

How many miles did you get on the 2nd trans anyway- 100k?
If it was installed after mid 2005, it has the allegedly improved case design with better oiling- and the shop will install all the latest upgrades
Old 05-13-2008 | 11:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hey was sup guys,

I have a situation. I got my tranny replaced last November at 51K on my 2003 TLS. Vin # was out of range but the dealer replaced it for free anyways since I was barely out of warranty. Thing is that at 57K now, the tranny is already acting up. My question is, did the replacement tranny come with a warranty??
Old 05-13-2008 | 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SWEETBABY
latest offer from acura rep and dealer: They will put in a USED tranny with 50,000mi on it for $2500. I think NOT!
Needless to say I'm picking the car up today from dealer and taking it to a local tranny shop, where the tranny will be rebuilt with a 2yr.-24000mi warranty for $2800.
So much for Acura and them standing behind their "reliable luxary cars"
Thanks to all who posted on this thread and my problem with the info they provided.
With the mileage you had what were you expecting??
Old 05-13-2008 | 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by LatinSmoke 01CL
Hey was sup guys,

I have a situation. I got my tranny replaced last November at 51K on my 2003 TLS. Vin # was out of range but the dealer replaced it for free anyways since I was barely out of warranty. Thing is that at 57K now, the tranny is already acting up. My question is, did the replacement tranny come with a warranty??
Contact your dealer. If they good willed it probably not, if not it should be covered.
Old 05-13-2008 | 12:17 PM
Team Owner

I am of the `opinion` that 12 month 10k miles would be what they give every trans, even goodwilled 03s- its not like the problem was magically fixed-
as you would be the resident expert on kris~

ALWAYS Speak directly in person to the SERVICE MANAGER only!!
the writers/advisors are not empowered to do anything for you, and the Manager is who calls the regional rep for acura and says- well- got another one only lasted 6k miles and has problem x- ok thanks
Heres your loaner car sir
Old 05-13-2008 | 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Contact your dealer. If they good willed it probably not, if not it should be covered.
Damn, so if they good willed it, and the tranny is crapping out, its more than likely that ill have to pay for another one?? Damn that sucks especially since it hasnt even been a year since the replacement tranny was installed.

I will contact my dealer tho. Thanks
Old 05-13-2008 | 12:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

I am of the `opinion` that 12 month 10k miles would be what they give every trans, even goodwilled 03s- its not like the problem was magically fixed-
as you would be the resident expert on kris~

ALWAYS Speak directly in person to the SERVICE MANAGER only!!
the writers/advisors are not empowered to do anything for you, and the Manager is who calls the regional rep for acura and says- well- got another one only lasted 6k miles and has problem x- ok thanks
Heres your loaner car sir
Good info and thanks for the tip....
Old 05-13-2008 | 01:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by LatinSmoke 01CL
Damn, so if they good willed it, and the tranny is crapping out, its more than likely that ill have to pay for another one?? Damn that sucks especially since it hasnt even been a year since the replacement tranny was installed.

I will contact my dealer tho. Thanks
Yes, ive seen many members goodwilled trans and they dont have a warranty. My self included
Old 05-13-2008 | 07:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hi Guys, i never thought I'd be a part of this thread, but My first Tranny Just died yesterdaty night at 91,xxx kms.
Its an 03 TL-S A-Spec that had the oil jet kit installed.

I'm just glad It died before the 100,000km because the sevice advisor told me that the tranny warranty expires after 5yrs/100,000km.
He just ordered a new tranny and just waiting for approval to get me a courtesy car.
For the meantime, he told me that the car is still driveable and so i will take it home tonight.

I'll give you all an update once i get my car back.

good luck to those who is still able to hold on to their original tranny....
Old 05-13-2008 | 09:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Yes, ive seen many members goodwilled trans and they dont have a warranty. My self included
I'm assuming that you never take it to the dealer for most things, and they still goodwilled it?? I thought that they usually only did that for people who primarily used the dealer for servicing their cars. I don't think I've ever used the dealer for anything except for a few warranty things. otherwise I use an independent or do the work myself. I've got 90K in my first tranny (and mine is not covered by the extended warranty and has the oil jet kit), so I'm just trying to plan what I'm going to do when the inevitable happens....
Old 05-13-2008 | 10:11 PM
Team Owner

the oil jet kit has nothing to do with the actual problem in the failure
it handled a different issue

plan ahead- 2500-2800 for a good rebuild at trans shop-
Old 05-13-2008 | 10:56 PM
Instructor

the oil jet kit has nothing to do with the actual problem in the failure
it handled a different issue

plan ahead- 2500-2800 for a good rebuild at trans shop-
Thanks - yeah, I realize the kit is a completely different issue (not sure why I mentioned it in my thread??) Anyway, I guess my question was that the dealership would've been the last place I would consider taking my car for an out-of-warranty expensive problem like a transmission, but if there's a chance they might goodwill it, I probably would. I don't really have any relationship with the dealer (I bought it in northern cal) so I'd be surprised if they would replace it for free. Just curious about other peoples experience out of warranty with this. I love my car, but know I'm living on borrowed time so I was thinking of reluctantly cutting my ties with it (plus the new G37 is looking pretty sweet), but if there's a good chance Acura would change it out for free, I might hold on to it another few years (and wait for the G39 to come out!)...
Old 05-14-2008 | 02:06 AM
Team Owner

warranty and goodwill have nothing to do with where you bought the car or how many owners or how much service $ you gave them- thats all BS the service writer says to get you to spend cash money there

SERVICE MANAGER is who you need to talk to- goodwill begins with a box of donuts or ice creams for the shop guys- then you can get amazing results!
The dealer does not pay for the trans- acura corp does- so what you spent in the past has nothing to do with it
Regional rep ask if you are a good guy- manager (wiping donut from lips) says yes!!- goodwill warranty is approved.
If you are out of VIN 03- they know for fact the problem was not fixed and goodwill replacement is fairly normal thing for them to do.
Some have managed to get denied- it takes effort for that! IMO
Canada cars are a different story
Cars with salvage title do not get ANY trans warranty
If your car makes ANY of the known symptoms get to the dealer now!
Positive attitude and you love your acura- you belong to acurazine.com- all good things
Old 05-17-2008 | 03:31 PM
6th Gear

So I read through the first 11 pages, then found this was 39 pages long. So I hope im not beating a dead horse when I ask this but...

I just got my car thursday(05/15/08), its a 99, with 140k miles. The car shifts fine, a little rough when downshifting i suppose, but other than its pretty smooth. From what I have read this issue is with the 2000 and up 5 speed automatic? My 99(non type-s) is a 4 speed auto. The car came with a 90day full powertrain warranty(i made the guy throw it in) and is good at any acura dealer or certified mechanic. So I am wondering if my car is affected by this issue. There was absoutly nothing in the car fax that it had ever been fixed, and no recalls concerning anything with the transmission are found for a 99 TL on owners.acura.com site when I registered. I guess I sort of answerd my own question through resarch, but does this even effect 99s??

Quick Reply: Tranny Failure Thread