Tranny Failure Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tegmech
I was at the dealer to get an oil change on my new (2001) tl. I had mentioned that it was rough when shifting, and long story short I shouldn't worry about it. Then he proceeds to tell me that the tranny has a warranty of 7 yrs AND 9 months. I have never heard of the the 9 months part. My warranty would expire in august if it was only 7 years, so is he just trying to keep me quiet?
As part of a class action lawsuit settlement, Acura has increased the coverage on the transmission extended warranty from 100,000 miles/7 years to 109,000 miles/(7 years + 9 months). So the dealer is correct.

Bob
Old 06-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
So if my vin(for my 03') isn't included in the extended warranty, and had my tranny replaced at 35k so now that i'm at 80k am I out of warranty? So why did they not extend the warranty for all 03's if the problem wasn't fixed?
Old 06-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Soseductivesf
So if my vin(for my 03') isn't included in the extended warranty, and had my tranny replaced at 35k so now that i'm at 80k am I out of warranty? So why did they not extend the warranty for all 03's if the problem wasn't fixed?
That's a very good question and I haven't seen a good answer to it. Acura apparenty believed that they did correct the problem during the 2003 production run. And even though they made some design changes in February of 2005 they still did not extend that warranty to all of the 2003 TLs.

But they have covered many out-of-warranty 2003 TLs with "good will" repairs.

Bob
Old 06-04-2007, 12:27 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in this same situation. I have a 2003 TL-S and the transmission bit the dust at 101,000 miles. I had the oil-jet kit installed at about 93,000 miles, but this obviously made no difference. The dealer here has agreed to pay for the parts, but is saying I am responsible for the labor. Is this a fair deal?

I have one of the 03's that is past the cut-off VIN#, making the 109,000 mile warranty extension useless to me. I really don't get how my car doesn't get included in this, seeing that it exhibits everything the extension is meant to address. Do you think I should try and get out of paying the labor fees? Thanks, CK
Old 06-04-2007, 01:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Soseductivesf
Hi all,... I have received a lot of great advice on this forum, so I just wanted to share this with you... :gheywave: I have a 2000 TL-- tranny replaced at 85000 on 7/04-- still works great at its current 106,000 miles.... I have owned the TL for 2 months and 1500 miles and its perfect, but I'm a little nerveous----

I stopped at "Acura of Tempe" in Phoenix and spoke with Service writer, Jim Ridder to get his take. He made several excellent points......He said even if the tranny was replaced over 20k miles ago, the 7y9m/109k warranty supercedes any 12k/12mo on the rebuild. He also said that many of the 2003 models have the same failure rate as 00-02, AND the real shocker--- very early 3Gen '04's have the same tranny clutch pack failures as 00-03!!! My TL is 1 month and 2500 miles shy of expiration.. He said, in his experience, after the extended warranty expires, Acura will share a "portion" of the replacement tranny costs provided you have had regular "Dealer service visits" (as tracked by VIN#)..... the more service calls, the larger portion Acura covers up to 50% total cost. (Total average replacement cost appx $3600.) The previous owner of my TL brought it to the dealer for everthing including a battery replacement and to add air to the tires, so I guess I'm good there!!! Lastly, as a gamble, He said a tranny fluid change prior to warranty expiration would get me another "good will" 1 month/1000 miles, but thats about it. Looks like some Acura dealerships can be more helpful than others during the replacement process........ Now I have to decide if I want to gamble on a fluid change and risk a failure 3-6 months from now
Old 06-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113
I'm in this same situation. I have a 2003 TL-S and the transmission bit the dust at 101,000 miles. I had the oil-jet kit installed at about 93,000 miles, but this obviously made no difference. The dealer here has agreed to pay for the parts, but is saying I am responsible for the labor. Is this a fair deal?

I have one of the 03's that is past the cut-off VIN#, making the 109,000 mile warranty extension useless to me. I really don't get how my car doesn't get included in this, seeing that it exhibits everything the extension is meant to address. Do you think I should try and get out of paying the labor fees? Thanks, CK
I think it's a reasonable deal to have the dealer cover the parts. But you might want to call Acura's national customer care folks to see if they might be able to help you out further.

As a courtesy to your dealer, you might want to let them know that you plan on calling the national group. That will give them a chance to rework their offer and they also won't feel blindsided if they're contacted by the Customer Care group.

Good luck!

Bob
Old 06-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Cruisin'

Stopped by the dealership this morning...They did not want to cover anything because the car was out of warranty. Called 800 number talked to the regional manager, they called the service manager at the dealership. The manager came back and told me that Acura agreed to pay $500 out of $3200..I was trying to talk to the regional manager before I say yes or no, but he never picked up his phone...So do you guys think 500 is fair, or should I fight further? And if so how can I make them pay more than 500?

THanks!
Old 06-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Race Director

500 in my opinion is crazy I would try another dealer most at least off to go half and half and keep on the 800 number as well.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
500 in my opinion is crazy I would try another dealer most at least off to go half and half and keep on the 800 number as well.
Well the dealerships refuse to pay anything..the car is not on extended warranty + has 92K on it...Just talked to ther regional manager at client services, he told me that 500 is the highest they can go because of the millage... anyway I already left the car at the dealer to get it done...They gave me this crapy kia Rio with no power windows...and its RED
Old 06-04-2007, 01:31 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Too Late for Recall?

I'm an Idoit. I know because SWMBO tells me all the time. She even tells me what exactly makes me an idiot. So, now that we've established my bona-fides, you don't need to tell me why you think I'm an idiot - you can just offer whatever advice you think might be helpful.

I have an '02 TL-S purchased "right off the truck" in late Dec 2001. We gotten the recall notices, but never took it in (this is the place where you are tempted to tell me that I'm an idiot and why. Resist the temptaion).

We've had no trouble with car at all. Car has ~61k miles on it. There has always been a little hitch in 4th gear (might be in 3rd, can't remember for sure) at ~35 or 40 mph.

So, are we too late to take it in for Recall Service?

If we are still eligible, should we take it in for Recall Service?

Our new '07 TL-S is in service and the '02 is going to my oldest daughter for college/work this fall.

TIA.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by constanta_TLs
Stopped by the dealership this morning...They did not want to cover anything because the car was out of warranty. Called 800 number talked to the regional manager, they called the service manager at the dealership. The manager came back and told me that Acura agreed to pay $500 out of $3200..I was trying to talk to the regional manager before I say yes or no, but he never picked up his phone...So do you guys think 500 is fair, or should I fight further? And if so how can I make them pay more than 500?

THanks!
How exactly did you get in touch with the regional manager. I thought the national group would would contact the local dealership directly and bypass the regional manager.

That seems odd but perhaps another forum member that's more familiar with the process can comment on that.

And, unfortunately, there's no way to "make them pay more than 500" since the car is technically out of warranty.

I'd suggest calling the national Customer Care group again but they might not override a regional office decision. One forum member reported that he was stuck once the regional office made a call on an out-of-warranty repair. The Customer Care folks even told him that they might have been able to do more if the regional office hadn't already made a decision.

But I suppose it doesn't hurt to call. If you haven't already, you could mention that other "out-of-warranty" 2003 TL owners have received better coverage. Point them to the Acurazine forums if they question that.

Good luck,

Bob
Old 06-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I'm an Idoit. I know because SWMBO tells me all the time. She even tells me what exactly makes me an idiot. So, now that we've established my bona-fides, you don't need to tell me why you think I'm an idiot - you can just offer whatever advice you think might be helpful.

I have an '02 TL-S purchased "right off the truck" in late Dec 2001. We gotten the recall notices, but never took it in (this is the place where you are tempted to tell me that I'm an idiot and why. Resist the temptaion).

We've had no trouble with car at all. Car has ~61k miles on it. There has always been a little hitch in 4th gear (might be in 3rd, can't remember for sure) at ~35 or 40 mph.

So, are we too late to take it in for Recall Service?

If we are still eligible, should we take it in for Recall Service?

Our new '07 TL-S is in service and the '02 is going to my oldest daughter for college/work this fall.

TIA.
There is no expiration date on the recall items.

Yes, I would take it in for the recalls.

If you don't take it in and the transmission fails they might use that to deny warranty coverage. (BTW, Your 2002 TL likely has a 109,000 mile/7 year + 9 month warranty on the transmission.)

Bob
Old 06-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Well the dealerships refuse to pay anything..the car is not on extended warranty + has 92K on it...Just talked to ther regional manager at client services, he told me that 500 is the highest they can go because of the millage... anyway I already left the car at the dealer to get it done...They gave me this crapy kia Rio with no power windows...and its RED
Call Acura Client Services and start a case with them
Old 06-05-2007, 12:39 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Bob_F
Statistically, the 4-speed transmission is more reliable that the 5-speed transmission used in the 2000-2003 TLs. But it still has worse than average reliability.

The original transmission in my 1999 TL made it to 173,000 miles before failing.

Bob
mines was replaced right before i bought it but it didnt even last me a year
Old 06-05-2007, 01:06 AM
Intermediate

Yo... Call the corporate office

Let the corporate acura office know. They know this is a common problem. My 2000 Acura 3.2TL went out last year May or June 2006 with 105.000 Miles. Just outside the warranty. However, I have a master's degree in quality assurance so I am familiar with Acura's business model. This is unheard of with a japanese manufacturer and a bad reputation for something like this would kill Acura/Honda. Let the corporate office know this and throw in a few I should have bought a bmw or a mercedez if I knew I would have to pay out this kind of money and they will react. Let them also know that you trusted the honda/acura brand and owned a couple before this and that this incident took away you time and you really feel like taking the car to the dealership and leaving it and buy something else like a bmw or mercedez. But dont throw in any curse words you know. Let them know you are a real acura believer and this screwed you for life. This how you really feel anyway right.

That'll get you about a $5500 dollar tranny and the labor. They'll put the parts on the warranty and the corporate office will take car of the labor. They will ask you if you will buy another one, so just say yeah especially if they take care of you. I can't say anything bad about acura because I got a new tranny and they paid for the labor, washed it and vacuumed and gave me a full vehicle inspection. They told me I need another $3650 in labor to make it like new. I took it to an independent auto shop who said they could do it for $2400.

oh yeah also check out the SRS because mine went out and they fixed it under warranty. Also use some silicon sealant under the trimming of the gear shifter because I spilled some soda there and it cost me $475 dollar to get a new one. And only use the 5W30 never anything else. I did after the fix with 10W30 and it screwed everything up. I thought I needed a new tranny but paid only for an oil change.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Call Acura Client Services and start a case with them
As soon as I called them they opened a case with me and transferred me to the regional manager right away. I explained the problem to him and within an hour or so he got me a deal of 500 dollars, he said we can't do anything else with this kind of millage...

so, madazh3ll you still think I can go further with that, even though I already left my car for repair?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:55 AM
5th Gear

They won't cover ANYTHING

Yesterday, took my 2000 TL to the dealership we originally purchased from -- my check engine light was on, and TCS had been on as well. They verified transmission failure, but said that because it wasn't TOTAL failure (i.e. the transmission actually got us to the dealership) they couldn't do anything because we were at 112,000 miles.

We called Acura Care before we ever took it the dealership -- they told us to take it down so the dealer could check it out. We explained that the car was at 112,000 miles, and they said, take it down anyway. Well, the dealer says "no go" and says the failure is not related to the original recall (we had the oil jet kit installed at 85,000 miles). My husband says, how do you know it's not related to the original failure? The service manager says, "Because it's still operational." But get this -- They can't tell us what the problem is!!!!!!!! The service manager said if it was under 109,000 miles, they would replace the trans, no questions asked. So they're telling us that it's not related to the recall, but they don't know what the problem is and they won't spend the time to find the problem ... what a bunch of BS!

Oh, and the service manager also said that because the oil jet kit was installed, the current failure is just general "wear and tear." You pay $40,000 for a vehicle that has transmission failure from regular wear and tear at 112,000 miles???? Give me a break, I still have the original factory brake pads on the car!

So we call Acura Care back, and they say that based on what our dealer told them, there's nothing they can do. And we're like, hello, we told you before we ever took it to the dealer that it was "out of warranty." So we paid $85 to have them hook it up, tell us it's transmission failure (we already knew that because our local mechanic hooked it up to his computer) and then tell us they won't do anything because of the mileage issues.

We are just running in circles, and both Acura care and our dealer have refused any kind of good will. And believe me, we have been more than patient on this issue.

Is there ANYTHING else we can do????? Any suggestions on who to talk to (I don't believe we ever talked to a regional manager, just whoever picked up the 800 number) ...
Old 06-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Intermediate

Check the corporate office

You have to go to the corporate office in California. Dont deal with these regional twirps. You have to let the big boys know. At Acura Client Services in California. Don't talk to anyone less than a manager and let him then assign a client services rep to you. If they have a problem they have to stand by it. No matter what they say just stick your fingers in your ears until you can talk to a manager. See as long as you dont talk to a manager they can act like they didn't know or wasn't informed by their subordinates. All of their positions and promotions etc.. are based on customer satisfaction. Make sure you write down the managers name then fax them your complaint noting that you have spoke with whoever the manager is. Dont make a complaint about him/her cause it will get you no where. Make a complaint about the car, the dealership, and how you have been treated poorly as a customer. again. let them know that you really trusted the honda/acura brand and threaten to buy another luxury model. You have to icing the cake before you cut it buddy. Just complaining and ranting about the vehicle wont get you any service. They have to believe that they have lost a loyal customer. A loyal customer will buy atleast 3 cars from any one automaker and refer their family to do the same. A disgruntled customer will buy nothing and just ruin business.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Intermediate

Hey constanta__tls,

I dont know why you talked to a regional manager. I live in atlanta, georgia and I dealt with the corporate representative in California at Acura Client Services. I originally sent the fax saying what I just told you and a manager called me like the next day. He then started a case and assigned me to a client services representative. I replied with the fax and included everyone I spoke with so I am pretty sure they had to file it. By the end of the next week I had a new tranny under warranty and they paid for the labor. It is important that the vehicle was regularly maintenanced because they are going to ask to see the papers. I had the oil jet kit installed about about 94,000 miles. I bought the vehicle at 82000 miles. It is at 125000 miles today. I was pissed because when they told you it needed the oil jet kit it was an indicator of a failure and they know it. They are supposed to check for discoloration but I bet they will claim they don't see it even when it is there. So yeah I think you can get more. You should be able to get at least half the labor.

Know some people will think that would be a good deal getting a "free" tranny and some labor but the fact of the matter is until this vehicle Acura/Honda had a reputation of being a "reliable" automobile manufacturer. So much so people bought them believing they had a quality vehicle and I mean quality by definition. Consumers believed that if they bought a vehicle from Acura/Honda that it would last for about 175000 to 200000 miles at least. Hell we had a Acura legend that went 250000 miles and was still going before it was sold for $3500. The warranty is intended at the expense of normal parts which wear out based on normal wear and tear. To think that a transmission would fail at +-$150000 made by a japanese manufacturer is and was unheard of until the Acura 3.2TL that was originally rated as one of the best automobiles to buy, of course because their were none above 100000 when it received that rating. Which is more than likely why you bought it because that is why I did it. But the fact is due to the high rate of failures they should have offer an extended warranty for 8 years and 135000 miles because that is looking like the range of failure where they can satisfy most of their consumers as opposed to screwing them.

The warranties of any product are based on that notion. Not whether or not other dealers are offering. Of course acura didn't know that the tranny would run out at 100K miles <> 150K miles. Because how could you wait 5 or 6 years and 120K testing a component before you sold a particular version of transmission that you needed to compete with BMW, Mercedez, Lexus, and Infiniti. These manufacturers also use a version of the sportshift. But you as the consumer should not be responsible for the design flaw. It was a bad design and Acura should deal with it. Too bad we all cant afford some lawyers to be able to combat Acura's corporate army and pocketed judiciary officials.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Cruisin'

Old 06-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Cruisin'

Tnaks, madazh3ll! I'll try to get in touch with someone from CA office...hope that will help.
Afterall it really was a bad experience, and I am seriously leaning towards buying a 745 or LS430 vs. RL now.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

constana_TLS

Be sure to tell them that at Acura client services. cause I wanted the RL too... but only if they give me like a 5% or 10% discount due to my problem with the acura tlor completely pay off my trade without tacking on the cost to the new loan. How do I know that the RL wont do the same thing at 100K miles. You know. Just keep talking to them. Fax them right away.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Drifting

constanta_TLs,

You earlier wrote:

"I just checked my tans. liquid and found out that its almost empty and what ever is left is BLACK and thick."

Could that fact be affecting Acura's willingness to provide out-of-warranty coverage? (They might claim that the car wasn't properly maintained.)

And are you sure that you were talking to the national Customer Care group initially? What number did you call?

Good luck!

Bob
Old 06-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Bob_F
constanta_TLs,

You earlier wrote:

"I just checked my tans. liquid and found out that its almost empty and what ever is left is BLACK and thick."

Could that fact be affecting Acura's willingness to provide out-of-warranty coverage? (They might claim that the car wasn't properly maintained.)

And are you sure that you were talking to the national Customer Care group initially? What number did you call?

Good luck!

Bob
I called 1 800 382 2238 ext:5. Got transferred to the regional manager right away, he did not even ask if I changed my trans. liquid or not. Thnak you!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:56 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by madazh3ll
If they have a problem they have to stand by it ... Just complaining and ranting about the vehicle wont get you any service. They have to believe that they have lost a loyal customer. A loyal customer will buy atleast 3 cars from any one automaker and refer their family to do the same. A disgruntled customer will buy nothing and just ruin business.
We have spent countless hours talking, and talking and talking to both the corporate office and the local people. There has been no ranting or raving (I thought that's what this forum was for! , but our patience has gotten us nowhere. And it's disturbing to think that all this quibbling on their part is because we're 3,000 miles over warranty.

I guess we'll ask to speak with a manager on the corporate level next ... stay tuned!
Old 06-05-2007, 01:30 PM
She thinks my TL's sexy.

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
my concerns

Let me tell you my car's history and get some opinions.

I have a 2002 TL-S with 126,000 miles. I bought the car off of my friend who had the transmission replaced at 88,000 miles. He experienced the issue where the car shifted into park at a reasonably high speed. The problem I have is that the transmission was replaced IN February of 2005. In fact, the car was returned to me friend (I believe) in the very middle of February, 2005. This lead me to believe that the transmission may not be the latest revision with the fix. I called the dealership that replaced it and they looked at the records for my VIN but all they could tell me is that the new transmission had the jet recall done. From what I've read on here, the jet recall seems to solve only one of the two problems that happens. But the guy I spoke to could not tell me anything about the revision of the transmission and he said he was unaware of any breakthrough revision in February of 2005.

Is there any way for me to look at something to determine the revision that is installed or to determine if I should expect to require another replacement? Does it seem possible that a dealership may have received a newly revised transmission in time for my repair?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by antaresgal
You pay $40,000 for a vehicle that has transmission failure from regular wear and tear at 112,000 miles???? Give me a break, I still have the original factory brake pads on the car!
WOW.... If you paid $40,000 for a 2000 TL, they should be rushing to give you a new tranny, engine, & 2 new front seats ....
Old 06-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

With all these most recent posts---- It soulds like Acura is willing to give 1000 miles allowance on the 109k warranty..... After that, they have decided to cut their losses and screw all 2nd Gen TL owners....
If you have a 2G TL that is 4-8 years old, Acura figures the odds of you coming back for a new 2008+ TL are slim to none. They assume you'll buy a used 3G TL or switch brands......and they dont care if your looking for a used 04-06 TL since Acura (Corporate) doesnt make anything on that sale... Its simply a calculated business decision based on several MBA studies.... ALWAYS take care of the customer (so long as you can make money on the transaction)
Old 06-05-2007, 02:25 PM
She thinks my TL's sexy.

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraTLowner
they dont care if your looking for a used 04-06 TL since Acura (Corporate) doesnt make anything on that sale
They should care. It looks good if your brand has high resale value.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by farmdevil
They should care. It looks good if your brand has high resale value.
Absolutely correct my friend...... Those Acura MBA's dont see it like that..... go to ebaymotors.com or autotrader.com and look at the $8k-$10k price plunge from 2004 TL to 2003 TL.... not to mention 00-02TL's.. A perfect example of "You get what you pay for"
Old 06-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Cruisin'

Absolutely correct my friend...... Those Acura MBA's dont see it like that..... go to ebaymotors.com or autotrader.com and look at the $8k-$10k price plunge from 2004 TL to 2003 TL.... not to mention 00-02TL's.. A perfect example of "You get what you pay for"
Well, 03-04 plunge is probably due to change in body style, but not the tranny issue...IMHO
Old 06-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

Yeah that what I thought at 1st, but other manufacturer's generation changes usually account for about $4k between the 1 model year... curiously....add an additional $4k for the tranny replacement and presto... you get $8k difference..... the used car market is pricing in the cost of a replacement tranny at $4k.... (so thinks me)
Old 06-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Senior Moderator

As soon as I called them they opened a case with me and transferred me to the regional manager right away. I explained the problem to him and within an hour or so he got me a deal of 500 dollars, he said we can't do anything else with this kind of millage...

so, madazh3ll you still think I can go further with that, even though I already left my car for repair?
Well i would call again and politely ask that you NOT be transfered, and that you want to talk to some one incharge there. Hell i had one replaced at 115k, BEFORE the 100k extension was even in place by going that route.

And sometimes it just doesnt work. Some have to realize that they are over 100k and that nothing in life is free, and that acura has done more than their part by offering an extension where they didnt have too.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Cruisin'

Yeah that what I thought at 1st, but other manufacturer's generation changes usually account for about $4k between the 1 model year... curiously....add an additional $4k for the tranny replacement and presto... you get $8k difference..... the used car market is pricing in the cost of a replacement tranny at $4k.... (so thinks me)
I don't know where you get your pricing, but as far as I'm concerned the difference between the 1 model year is in the range from 6 to 8K.
Here are some prices from Manheim Car Price Guide (MMR)
Maxima
2003:12500 2004:18300
MB E320
2002: 17000 2003:25000
BMW 530
2003:22000 2004:31000
Lexus GS
2005:30000 2006:36000
Acura RL
2004: 21000 2005:31500
Old 06-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Intermediate

I don't know where you get your pricing, but as far as I'm concerned the difference between the 1 model year is in the range from 6 to 8K.
Here are some prices from Manheim Car Price Guide (MMR)
Maxima
2003:12500 2004:18300
MB E320
2002: 17000 2003:25000
BMW 530
2003:22000 2004:31000
Lexus GS
2005:30000 2006:36000
Acura RL
2004: 21000 2005:31500
Guides are a great tool.... They give a good idea... I was just looking at sales on autotrader,ebay, & craigslist..... no offense guy... good research.... HOWEVER--What I really have learned===> when I finally do sell my 00 TL, I'm gonna look at a 00-01 Lexus ES300
Old 06-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Cruisin'

Guides are a great tool.... They give a good idea... I was just looking at sales on autotrader,ebay, & craigslist..... no offense guy... good research.... HOWEVER--What I really have learned===> when I finally do sell my 00 TL, I'm gonna look at a 00-01 Lexus ES300
Well, you should be consistent with your source of information while doing this kind of comparisson, because prices vary from place to place. I didn't do it to catch you on something, I was just curious myself. Prices I listed here come from dealers exchange auto auctions, thats what dealers pay for preowned vehicle before it gets to their lot. As for Lexus ES, the price on that car is from 8 to 13K for 2001. Good luck.

And sorry for the offtop guys, it wont happen again.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:56 AM
5th Gear

WOW.... If you paid $40,000 for a 2000 TL, they should be rushing to give you a new tranny, engine, & 2 new front seats ....
No, the original owner paid that. My point is, a high-end Honda that receives regular maintenance should not experience transmission failure at 112,000 miles from regular wear and tear ... when the brake pads outlast the soul of the vehicle, you know you've got a problem.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Acura Vet

Originally Posted by antaresgal
My point is, a high-end Honda that receives regular maintenance should not experience transmission failure at 112,000 miles from regular wear and tear ... when the brake pads outlast the soul of the vehicle, you know you've got a problem.
So true. You cannot argue with that. Since I know when the warranty expires, I will be getting rid of this car at that time. I won't take the gamble of being saddled with a repair bill and being fed that kind of crap. I love the car and I am glad that Honda stepped up and extended the warranty on these transmissions, but I know that we cant expect new trannies for life. However, I can see the other side of the coin as well. The trannies should not be failing plain and simple. Especially after the problem has been out there for several years, and Honda has had sufficient time to correct the issue. (I am speaking to those who have had trannies replaced) I would probably have had to leave the dealership if they told me something like that on a car that had been properly maintained. I would have a big problem with that and distance would have definitely been needed to prevent someone from getting hurt. I think that everyone who is under the warranty period should really weigh the risks of keeping it beyond the extended warranty or potentially be faced with the same problem.

I spent several hours on the phone getting my situation resolved (and I knew I was covered) I would not want to tackle that issue if I wasn't. Good luck to you in getting this resolved
Old 06-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by alphason'sac
Especially after the problem has been out there for several years, and Honda has had sufficient time to correct the issue.
All you have read from the trans threads are pre 05 replacements. So far the Feb updates appear to be working so it would seem they did correct the issue. It took quite a bit of redesign to fix, its not as simple as changing a part
Old 06-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Acura Vet

Cool

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
All you have read from the trans threads are pre 05 replacements. So far the Feb updates appear to be working so it would seem they did correct the issue. It took quite a bit of redesign to fix, its not as simple as changing a part
\

Not really. I have also read where some post 05 replacements have been failing but at a far lower rate. 05 was ample time for the trannies to be fixed regardless of how complicated the process is. It is not my place (as a consurmer) to care how Honda got it done, but that they did get it done.

Let me clarify that the statement you quoted was not a rant. In my post, I was merely trying to convey that there are two sides of the coin regarding this situation that antaresgal is in. Antaresgal felt that with the car being high-end and properly maintained, that failure of the tranny at 112,000 miles was premature (and it is). I can sympathize with that as well as see that Honda does not have to do anything in this case, even though it hardly seems fair. Honda also did not have to do what they did do to raise the warranty period on any of the transmissions.(Lawsuit not withstanding) Manufacturing defects are commonplace, but it is what the manufacturer does to try and correct the problem that sets them apart. Aside from giving everyone Trannies for life or brand new cars, there is no way to really make this situation right with everyone. It is a tough spot to be in, but it is what it is. I don't rant about the tranny issue because I bought this car with both eyes open. I knew that it was covered, it had low miles, and I bought an additional warranty to boot. Unfortunately, the warranty has to run out some time and some people who do not have the post 05 tranny are going to suffer. (unless they have done the 6 speed swap)

Quick Reply: Tranny Failure Thread