Talk about Stealership RIP-OFF

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Talk about Stealership RIP-OFF

Called local dealer " Frankel Acura, Cockeysville, Md." this a.m. to check availability of part # 90471-PX4-000 transmission drain plug crush washer. Parts rep. says yes, we have it in stock, THAT WILL BE $6.44. Delray Acura OEM parts shows the Acura Suggested Retail List Price for this washer at $2.77 and a discounted selling price of $2.08. How can Frankel Acura justify a Parts Mark Up of OVER 232% ON TOP OF SUGGESTED RETAILl!!! Yes i know what free enterprise is, and i also understand the Federal laws relative to price fixing. I do however, take exception to FRANKELS PRICE GOUGING. I WONDER IF MR.FRANKEL ever questions His Store's percentage of retail parts sales performance relative to overall parts sales, to those of the top 20 dealers regionally and or nationally! I THINK NOT.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:58 PM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Apple Tree Acura does the same thing here near Asheville NC. They mark up parts a lot. Why they are called Stealerships. I usually check online like you to see what the online dealers retail and discounted price is.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Dealerships don't make their money on car sales, believe it or not. Its their service shop and parts. I laugh every time people find a problem and their first thought is to take it to the dealership. Half of those "service techs" are idiots and don't know nearly what they should while working on cars.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 874 Likes on 669 Posts
You think that's bad? I had a 2004 VW Touareg and I needed this little small plastic clip that clipped on to where the windshield wiper arm connected (basically covered the joint) and I was gob smacked when the asking price was. Get this. FORTY FIVE DOLLARS.

The only time I go to the dealer is when I have to get something asap and don't have a choice. The blower motor went on my (POS) MDX last winter and I needed one asap obviously, so picked one up from the dealer. It was only $150 so I wasn't upset, VW wanted $550 for the blower motor on my Touareg (that too was a POS).
Old 05-05-2017, 02:31 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
The fact that you're paying anything over $1 for a crush washer is borderline criminal. I ordered a bag of 10 of them for less than $7 Canadian and the copper washers were made in Germany no less lol. Find a parts store that's able to sell them to you in bulk bags of 10 or more. At least that'll justify paying more than 5 bucks for washers.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Originally Posted by Darksyne
The fact that you're paying anything over $1 for a crush washer is borderline criminal. I ordered a bag of 10 of them for less than $7 Canadian and the copper washers were made in Germany no less lol. Find a parts store that's able to sell them to you in bulk bags of 10 or more. At least that'll justify paying more than 5 bucks for washers.
Transmission crush washers are a little different though.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:29 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
I get these ones:
Amazon Amazon

5 for $4.85. With stuff like this you need to plan ahead and stock up. Getting little parts one at a time at the dealer is highway robbery.
The following users liked this post:
frankjnjr (05-06-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
I count myself as lucky. My local acura parts dept. has me as a wholesale client and the prices are within a few bucks of the online places. I buy trans. fluid by the case and he always drops in a handful
of both engine and trans drain washers
Old 05-06-2017, 07:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Stealership rip-off

Originally Posted by Iggy
I count myself as lucky. My local acura parts dept. has me as a wholesale client and the prices are within a few bucks of the online places. I buy trans. fluid by the case and he always drops in a handful
of both engine and trans drain washers
Wish i could accomplish this. no dealership in my area is willing to recognize me as a wholesale account.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Exactly. Purchased similar crush washer from local "Salvo" auto parts store. The washers i bought have the same outside diameter but the inside diameter is much larger. The OEM washer "hugs" the drain plug threads providing a good "seat", whereas the parts store washer does not, which allows the parts store washer to slide around when tightened and results in an off set when fully tight. the sizing of the OEM washer allows me to re-use it at least two or three times with no issues.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:19 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
yes I know, but I work at a parts store part time and I was able to special order a pack of 10 for way cheaper than individuals. Just ask any parts store like autozone, or Napa for you guys in the states or partsource if you're in Canada if they can special order specific washers for your engine oil pan or transmission. I'm sure they can get them for you but you'll probably have to buy them in packs of 10.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:20 AM
Burning Brakes

great suggestion. i'll try Autozone and see if indeed they can be ordered. i use OEM parts exclusively to maintain my car, but it just annoys me that the Stealership more than doubles the Manufacturer's suggested retail for "ANY" part. THIS IS THE REWARD ONE GETS WHEN ATTEMPTING TO DO BUSINESS WITH THE AUTHORIZED DEALER!
Old 05-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Well if you do let us know if Autozone will order them for you cheaper than the less than $1/each at Amazon.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Have you tried Anderson Honda gotta believe they use the same parts. I found their prices reasonable compared with Acura especially if you can't wait for shipment from online dealers
Old 05-08-2017, 08:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Anderson Honda actually did my timing belt service. At that time, I tried to order a transmission filter and some miscellaneous parts and was told by the parts department representative that they cannot order Acura parts. Apparently, this same crush washer (Acura part #90471-PX4-000) is either not used on Honda models, or it is listed under a different part number. I have ordered this crush washer on-line through non OEM and alleged OEM sources in the past and found that the crush washers received have a much larger inside diameter than the correct OEM washer. The OEM washer "HUGS the threads on the drain bolt allowing for a perfect "seat" when tightened. The replacement crush washers, with the larger inside diameter, allow the crush washer to slide around when tightening, which does not provide a good "seat".