03 TLS trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 TLS trans fluid

What's up everybody, I'm Tyler and I'm Brand new to the forum, and i have a WDP 03 TL-S, with 151k, and a while ago I took it to my local shop for new tired and such and requested a trans fluid change and upon pickup I was told it was an involved process that involved a debris filter and such, just curious as to what the input on this and how involved it would be to safely change the trans fluid in my car, and as far as I'm aware it doesn't have the external oil jet. Thanks everybody!
Old 05-08-2017, 08:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
transmission service

If you are at all handy, this is a fairly easy do it yourself project. the external transmission fluid filter is relatively easy to change and the fluid drain and refill is almost as easy as an oil change. with basic hand tools, 3/8" drive ratchet with long extension and 17 mm socket required for the drain and refill, and a 1/4" drive ratchet, 10 mm socket, a short 1/4" extension and 1/4" universal joint needed for the filter replacement. you may also want to have a drain plug and filler plug crush washer on hand just in case, but these washers can usually be re-used more than once. there is at least one Do It Yourself segment on this forum explaining the exact procedure. of course you will also need a drain pan and a funnel. the drain and refill should be performed 3 different times, and requires approximately 9 quarts of fluid total. i change my transmission fluid after the engine is completely warmed up and the fluid is hot. i than drive the car several days or accumulate 100-300 miles, than change the fluid again and so on. it would be somewhat expensive to have this service performed at a shop compared to doing it yourself. always use Honda DW1 transmission fluid.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
I know everyone does the "3x3" but the actual procedure calls for a final drain & fill so that makes 4 total. Regardless, the dealer likely won't change your filter if you have them do the fluid. Many of them claim there is no filter. IMO it should always be changed with the fluid.