sunroof jammed

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 01:15 PM
deal with it

Received 378 Likes on 316 Posts
Exclamation sunroof jammed

i never usually open the roof all the way.....i just vent it.........but the other day i decided to open up and hear a weird cracking sound........i didn't think anything of it........so i just keep driving, when i get to my cousin's house and try to close the roof it jammed up.........(looks like the driver's side)..........it would open but it won't close..........so i try the sunroof wrench in the trunk..........and it moves a little bit..........(about an inch)..........and then jams up again............i went by the dealer and they couldn't close it but..........and they told it was gonna cost about $400, just to take the headliner down and tell whats wrong..........and then i still have to pay for the part and labor...........it appears to have just come off the track............so i went home and closed the sunroof by force........but now if press the close it goes into like a vented position........has this happened before to anyone before.........and does anyone have instructions on how to remove the headliner and sunroof..........
Old 02-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well my guess about the headliner off hand, would be to take the front door seals and molding off first, then the corner pillars should snap off maybe try using a pry tool or a flathead with tape on it. Either that, or take it to a trusted shop, im sure they would charge way less than the dealership.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:16 PM
08 Civic SI

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
it also happend to me. turns out there was a pice of metal clamp like thing that mooved and got on the track enogh to block it from closeing all the way .i just a bit i just jiggled it and mooved it back in place
Old 02-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dreem1er
i never usually open the roof all the way.....i just vent it.........but the other day i decided to open up and hear a weird cracking sound........i didn't think anything of it........so i just keep driving, when i get to my cousin's house and try to close the roof it jammed up.........(looks like the driver's side)..........it would open but it won't close..........so i try the sunroof wrench in the trunk..........and it moves a little bit..........(about an inch)..........and then jams up again............i went by the dealer and they couldn't close it but..........and they told it was gonna cost about $400, just to take the headliner down and tell whats wrong..........and then i still have to pay for the part and labor...........it appears to have just come off the track............so i went home and closed the sunroof by force........but now if press the close it goes into like a vented position........has this happened before to anyone before.........and does anyone have instructions on how to remove the headliner and sunroof..........
Originally Posted by orgnlprankster7
it also happend to me. turns out there was a pice of metal clamp like thing that mooved and got on the track enogh to block it from closeing all the way .i just a bit i just jiggled it and mooved it back in place
I'll bet you the screws holding everything in place were just a little lose and the brackets were jamming it... happened to me, too this summer just after I bought my car (and it was before a big storm, so of course I was scared as hell)... closing it by force may have just cost you a LOT of money ... I just tightened the screws and everything has been working normally again since then ... good luck