Strange 02 rev problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 01:21 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange 02 rev problem

I have a bone stock tl type s and I am having the strangest problem. When I leave from a stop and floor it when it gets up to 5500 rpms revlimiter kicks in and then falls on face for a second then takes off like a rocket up to 68 to 7200 rpms like usual . it's really bad getting on it in a turn it does the same falls on face but as soon as it straightens out it takes off like a rocket I have changed the fuel pump cleaned the filter and blew all the fuel lines out and there is nothing in the tank. Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 10-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
"Falls on face" - do you mean your engine stalls or chokes out? Is it always exactly 5500 RPM?
Old 10-24-2015, 05:11 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Chojun
"Falls on face" - do you mean your engine stalls or chokes out? Is it always exactly 5500 RPM?
Bounces the rev limiter and stalls acceleration because of limiter then takes off back up to 7200 like usual and no cils or stored codes
Old 10-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Pro

The only thing I can think of is I believe 5500 is the park rev limiter. I can't think of any other thing that kicks on or off at 5500. Did you have work done on your transmission or anything recently? When you're in D5 is the D5 light on in your dash cluster next to the Tach?

The only thing I can think of at this point is you might have a loose connection in the shift selector (making it think it's in park or whatever) but somebody around here might have a better idea.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:33 PM
5th Gear

The only thing I can think of is I believe 5500 is the park rev limiter. I can't think of any other thing that kicks on or off at 5500. Did you have work done on your transmission or anything recently? When you're in D5 is the D5 light on in your dash cluster next to the Tach?

The only thing I cabn think of at this point is you might have a loose connection in the shift selector (making it think it's in park or whatever) but somebody around here might have a better idea.
I have never paid attention to the light on dash will look today no work was done when this started it progressively goten way worst started only doing that in a hard left turn under heavy excelleration to now when I cant get on it from a stop wide open but weird thing is if I leave hard but gradually lay into the throttle it won't do it which is weird also the other day when it rained I layed into and smoked the intersection and I noticed the car ran fine which make me even more baffled I'm starting to think its force related
Old 10-25-2015, 10:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Dont worry, with the way you are treating that TL trans... it wont last much longer

Hitting rev limiter is stupid as it actually slows the overall acceleration situation
Running to redline is past optimum torque.
If your valves are not recently- perfectly adjusted- you are taking a major risk!
Timing belt new- with all new tensioners? any breakage in there is total loss of the engine.
Do you seafoam or bg44 so the carbon is removed from intake valves and piston tops?
More danger when loose valve hits raised carbon layers = really bad news

PLEASE!!! look up Track Day at a nearby car race track. Car Clubs rent the track for a day and hold low cost schools
where Real race drivers teach you how to brake- turn- apex- throttle the car the right way, smoooooothly

Each session on track is several laps followed by a briefing with an instructor.
Sometimes you can get a teacher to ride in your car giving instant feedback, or you play lead and follow around the course.
Ask an instructor for a demo Hot Lap in their car- bring a change of underwear~ Their Vette is NOT stock

This is the SAFE and SANE place to work on skills, and enjoy some speed No oncoming traffic, telephone poles or Cops
actually- there may be a few cops- many of them are also racers, and volunteer teachers.
The average class price is far less than ANY speeding ticket,,
~$150-250 for a full action packed day.
Passing a cop on track at 100 mph = Priceless Go-Pro moment!

It its wet out and you are `laying in to it` You need education on the car, and on how to operate it within its limits- and yours!!
Or do you have unlimited replacement parts funding??
If so, may as well buy a set of NEW axles now- going to need them by Winter.

I say all this with good intention- All drivers can benefit from Track Days, driving 5 -10 or 40 years,,,learn something,
no matter how long you have just been surviving on the road

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 10-25-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:43 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Dont worry, with the way you are treating that TL trans... it wont last much longer

Hitting rev limiter is stupid as it actually slows the overall acceleration situation
Running to redline is past optimum torque.
If your valves are not recently- perfectly adjusted- you are taking a major risk!
Timing belt new- with all new tensioners? any breakage in there is total loss of the engine.
Do you seafoam or bg44 so the carbon is removed from intake valves and piston tops?
More danger when loose valve hits raised carbon layers = really bad news

PLEASE!!! look up Track Day at a nearby car race track. Car Clubs rent the track for a day and hold low cost schools
where Real race drivers teach you how to brake- turn- apex- throttle the car the right way, smoooooothly

Each session on track is several laps followed by a briefing with an instructor.
Sometimes you can get a teacher to ride in your car giving instant feedback, or you play lead and follow around the course.
Ask an instructor for a demo Hot Lap in their car- bring a change of underwear~ Their Vette is NOT stock

This is the SAFE and SANE place to work on skills, and enjoy some speed No oncoming traffic, telephone poles or Cops
actually- there may be a few cops- many of them are also racers, and volunteer teachers.
The average class price is far less than ANY speeding ticket,,
~$150-250 for a full action packed day.
Passing a cop on track at 100 mph = Priceless Go-Pro moment!

It its wet out and you are `laying in to it` You need education on the car, and on how to operate it within its limits- and yours!!
Or do you have unlimited replacement parts funding??
If so, may as well buy a set of NEW axles now- going to need them by Winter.

I say all this with good intention- All drivers can benefit from Track Days, driving 5 -10 or 40 years,,,learn something,
no matter how long you have just been surviving on the road
Lol nice sales pitch but I drive a world challenge ctsv everyonce now and then at Sonoma raceway I know how to drive and yes my car has been gone thru no carbon build ups looked using camera to check and I'm not intentionally hitting the rev limiter this is the entire problem I can't drive the car hard because it will hit the limiter for no reason and yes I absolutely kno how bad it is for my car hence why I'm trying to diagnosis it and fix it

I have 3 race cars by the way
2 240sx ls1 swap drift cars
81 s 10 big block swap running low 9s high 8s
Old 10-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Pro

I looked over the manual and just found one thing.

The park rev limiter is 5K. Max when in drive is 6.6K.

One thing I forgot to ask - when you say "stalls acceleration because of limiter then takes off back up to 7200" does this occur in 1st gear or are you in 2nd gear when it takes off back to 7200?

I've never redlined in 1st gear in mine but I'm hearing that there may be a built in limiter in 1st to prevent engine damage. If so, and you're hitting that limit, my guess is that you may be experiencing some kind of delay in shifting due to a problem in your shift solenoids. This is usually a precursor to death of our pesky transmissions.

My gut feeling is that you've got some kind of problem in your transmission - it could be slipping at 5500 WOT and your PCM is trying to keep your valves from getting mashed. I'd back off it until you get it figured out.

One last thing it could be since you mentioned it occurs in corners and you have a Type-S, there could be a problem in your VSA system. The system will cut the throttle if it senses drift and apply braking to certain wheels to keep you in your turn.

Try a 3x3 drain/fill with Honda DW-1 - let us know the condition of your fluid - also pull off and inspect your clutch pressure control solenoids A/B, C, they have screens in them that can catch stuff and get clogged up.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:26 PM
5th Gear

I looked over the manual and just found one thing.

The park rev limiter is 5K. Max when in drive is 6.6K.

One thing I forgot to ask - when you say "stalls acceleration because of limiter then takes off back up to 7200" does this occur in 1st gear or are you in 2nd gear when it takes off back to 7200?

I've never redlined in 1st gear in mine but I'm hearing that there may be a built in limiter in 1st to prevent engine damage. If so, and you're hitting that limit, my guess is that you may be experiencing some kind of delay in shifting due to a problem in your shift solenoids. This is usually a precursor to death of our pesky transmissions.

My gut feeling is that you've got some kind of problem in your transmission - it could be slipping at 5500 WOT and your PCM is trying to keep your valves from getting mashed. I'd back off it until you get it figured out.

One last thing it could be since you mentioned it occurs in corners and you have a Type-S, there could be a problem in your VSA system. The system will cut the throttle if it senses drift and apply braking to certain wheels to keep you in your turn.

Try a 3x3 drain/fill with Honda DW-1 - let us know the condition of your fluid - also pull off and inspect your clutch pressure control solenoids A/B, C, they have screens in them that can catch stuff and get clogged up.
I've never hit limiter untill this problem started and yes its a first gear problem but it even happens when I put it in gear 1 manually I am going to check those solenoids today just in case thanks for the info!! Much apreciated