Spark plug blew out of its cylinder....

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 04:08 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark plug blew out of its cylinder....

2002 tl type s- So I had my check engine light come on followed by a couple others a few miles later. Car went from running awesome to running and sounding like crap. Got it to autozone andThe codes that were pulled up were misfire codes. I tried driving it home but got so bad I had to tow it home. Studied what the codes were and talk to a couple mechanics and then went a bought a coil pack and spark plugs. All but one coil and spark plug looked good. #4 coil was melted and some of it was left around the spark plug. Spark plug was loose and I was having trouble digging out pieces of the coil. Decided to turn the engine and blow out the pieces since spark plug was loose anyways. So I did that and it shot out the pieces from the coil and the spark plug. So that's where I am. I'm told a thread chaser is where to start next. Not sure what size get or if that's what I should do. Help.... Oh I never found the spark plug that shot out.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
Did you use a vacuum /compressed air to clear out any loose debris before turning the engine? no doubt that you shot out some of the debris that was on top of the sparkplug, but there is a good chance that not ALL debris was cleared of the sparkplug insertion channel and could have made it's way into the combustion chamber.

You absolutely want to clear all of that out of both the tube and now possibly in the combustion chamber for that cylinder. it could get caught anywhere and prevent a valve from seating or scratch the cylinder wall creating a leak.

Next time, I would keep working at it, and shooting compressed air into the spark plug channel to clear out any loose debris; avoiding the method of turning over the engine all-together (it's a very uncontrolled method).