replacing 1999 3.2TL hard drive based navigation unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 04:05 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing 1999 3.2TL hard drive based navigation unit

Hi,

I have read a number of messages on this site about failed hard drives in 99 TL navigation unit. I have preyed for a while that this wouldn't happen to my unit but it finally has. I read in this forum and on navhelp.com about how to get the hard drive replaced or get the whole unit replaced. I have a few question about this:

1. What generation navigation systems are compatible with 99 TL? Can I get the 4th generation nav unit in it?

2. Does anyone have experience with buying a replacement unit online (from navhelp.com or other website)? If so, please share your positive/negative recommendations.

3. How well does after-market in-dash navigation units work with 99 TL? I really don't want to do this unless I absolutely have to.

thanks,
Osho
Old 07-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
1.I would just get 00-03 Naviagtion Box Unit B/c it's simple plug an play. Also 3Gen don't work
2. No...
Check on ebay for them. I got mine for $300 and I can SAY worth the money an you get whole USA not like harddrive disk you get your selection region only.

3. Stay with OEM much cheaper. Also think no Aftermarket will work will it.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"2. Does anyone have experience with buying a replacement unit online (from navhelp.com or other website)? If so, please share your positive/negative recommendations.

I haven't personally purchased one of the compact flash replacement navigation units that are sold on Paul Mooney's navhelp site but I built one myself and it works great. There are instructions for assembling one of these units yourself on this forum if you search a bit. I've posted some messages regarding my experience.

The parts are really cheap and the toughest part is probably finding a set of your regional navigation files to load onto the assembled unit. I was fortunate in that my local dealer loaded these files for free. Some dealers charge for this while others don't even have the equipment to load the files.

If your current hard drive unit still works at times you might be able to download the files yourself if you have a PCMCIA equipped laptop or PC.

As far as buying one of these units from the navhelp site, Paul Mooney has sold a ton of these units on eBay and his feedback is running at 99.6% positive. (He's "paulemooney" on eBay.)

So you can be pretty comfortable buying from navhelp.com.

Bob
Old 07-25-2007, 11:52 PM
2nd Gear

I just replaced my 99 TL Hard Drive unit with a DVD unit.
was nice and easy without a problem.
I did not even disconnect the battery, just crawled in the trunk and unhooked the wiring and removed the bracket (3 bolts) holding the HD unit, undid the 4 screws to remove the HD unit and put the DVD unit in the bracket then bolted it back up and hooked up the wiring.
Started the car, inserted the DVD and typed in the anti theft code, let the thing sit 10 minutes to figure out the GPS signal and that was it.
It did keep trying to give me directions from another state (must have been where the unit was from). I shut the car off and turned it back on and problem solved.
20 minute job and that included rounding up a 10mm socket for the 3 bracket bolts.
now to get DVD 2.40..
Old 07-27-2007, 08:51 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by dewmanm
I just replaced my 99 TL Hard Drive unit with a DVD unit.
was nice and easy without a problem.
I did not even disconnect the battery, just crawled in the trunk and unhooked the wiring and removed the bracket (3 bolts) holding the HD unit, undid the 4 screws to remove the HD unit and put the DVD unit in the bracket then bolted it back up and hooked up the wiring.
Started the car, inserted the DVD and typed in the anti theft code, let the thing sit 10 minutes to figure out the GPS signal and that was it.
It did keep trying to give me directions from another state (must have been where the unit was from). I shut the car off and turned it back on and problem solved.
20 minute job and that included rounding up a 10mm socket for the 3 bracket bolts.
now to get DVD 2.40..
Hi dewmanm,

Could you please tell me where did you get the DVD unit for your Acura and for how much (if the forum rules allow discussing that)?

thanks,
Osho
Old 08-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Cruisin'

You can find them on eBay for around $300-$400... Are the units plug and play swappable?

Nick