Rear passenger side door problem (loose molding)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 02:41 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear passenger side door problem (loose molding)

I live alone, so I rarely use my rear doors. But about a year ago, one day I noticed a slight resistance when I opened the rear passenger side door (and no resistance was felt on the driver side rear door). I looked down, and could see that it seemed like the interior molding for the door was a little loose on the bottom side of the door, rubbing against the frame of the car when you opened and closed the door). At the time, I thought the molding just wasn't fitted right, and that's just the way it was. I was about 500 miles past my warranty miles, and so the Acura dealer refused to even look at the problem (and some other person at Acura said that upholstry issues aren't covered under warranty anyway?? idk).

Well, it has gotten much worse now. Now when you open the door, there is a very strong resistance when you try to open the door, and if you open the door slowly, you can clearly see the bottom of the door upholstry being pulled away from the door (below the arm rest). I don't think it will get much worse from this point (since there are lower bolts that keep the upholstry on), but it's very annoying when opening the door on that side, and I have to explain this crappy Acura quality to everyone who uses that door.

I know about engines and such, but I don't know much about upholstry. Does anyone know if this is a common problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this? Other than the Acura dealer, what shops should I look for that can repair this? I can't push the upholstry back in place, I'm not sure if the entire interior panel has to come off. I assume what happened is some internal glue gave way (it gets hot here in Texas). I wouldn't mind spending about 100 bucks to fix this, but much more than that (which I'm sure the dealership would charge) I don't think would be worth it...