Rear Door Does Not Open Anymore

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007 | 02:15 PM
10th Gear

Rear Door Does Not Open Anymore

Hi
I have a problem with my rear right door. It doesnt open anymore. I tried everything.. from inside ..outside... unlock lock.... nothing.

The little unlock/lock botton dont move at all.

I need to open the door panel but the door is closed.

So I need some help on that... any suggestion will be appreciated

Thanks

( ohhhh its a 2002 TLS )
Old 04-26-2007 | 03:52 PM
Shogun Assassin

Maybe this thread will help? https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=unlock+door
Old 04-26-2007 | 11:02 PM
10th Gear

No ... the lock knob doesnt move at all.. down or up.
I really need the remove the door panel ...but the door is closed...
I dont know how to do that... I think its impossible when the door is closed ??
Old 04-27-2007 | 09:05 AM
Shogun Assassin

Hmmm...I had an issue with my rear door locks when it got really cold during the past couple of winters. They just wouldn't move when I hit the lock and unlock buttons on both my remote and the switch inside the car on both front doors. It's like they were frozen.

What I ended up doing was simultaneously pulling on the lock knob and the door handle and it finally came up.

And I think it is impossible to take off the door panel while the door is closed.
Old 04-27-2007 | 01:33 PM
10th Gear

Already tried like you said... pulling at the same time the lock knob and door handle + unlocking with the remote and inside the car... ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

But nothing happened... only once I opened but since then never again.

Thanks Fahoumh ....
Old 04-27-2007 | 03:27 PM
Shogun Assassin

I'm sorry I wasn't any help. The only other suggestion I have is try doing a search.
Old 05-10-2007 | 08:35 PM
10th Gear

I finaly opened my door. How ?
Well.. you need to open the front door and unbolt the four bolts that hold the rear door in place at middle of the car. Dont need to remove completly all the bolts... just loosen them a little and try to move the door...it will open easyly.

Then i removed the door panel... Removed the plastic cover carefully to put back later... Then i removed the two metal stem..(one for the door opener and one for the lock/unlock knob) Then I unbolt and took out the door actuator. And this was really hard to take it out from the door frame. After couple minutes of trying to understand how its works...I just follow the lock/unlock knob and find out that there was a moving part which was covered of rust. With a lot of lubricant and grease...I forced the two parts to move... AND THATS ITS....

Problem fixed without any additional COST. Only 1 hour of DO IT YOUR SELF
Old 05-10-2007 | 09:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Very nice!
Old 08-01-2007 | 11:59 AM
~It Aint Eazy~

Stylish, I know this is a few months old. but Thanks Alot....

This just happened to me a few days ago. You can actually just take the interior door handle off. Then you can reach inside and grab the lower metal stem (theres 2). Pull this with some pliers and it will unlock.

I got that far but now I know how to fix the actuator.... Thank You !!!!
Old 08-01-2007 | 09:06 PM
Instructor

is it the rear passenger? seems to be alot of problems with that lock. i had the same problem, except that it wouldnt lock. i just forced the hell out of the lock until it came loose. but now it gets stuck again like every week, but not as bad as the first time. i gotta get in ther with some wd40.. but mine always gets stuck unlocked, and i know when its stuck cuz i wont get the beep when i lock the doors
Old 08-02-2007 | 07:05 AM
10th Gear

Mine was at rear passenger door.
I had fixed at the bigging of may ...and now we are on august... no more problems.

I put a lot of grease all over the places that moves... then played with moving parts until they get really smooth.
Old 08-02-2007 | 09:42 AM
~It Aint Eazy~

Last night I got into fixing the actuator. I didnt remove it. With the door panel off, I sprayed a 1/4 can of super lube all over it. Then worked the "stem" back and forth a few times and everything works perfect now....

Thanks for all the help.......
Old 09-06-2007 | 11:46 AM
MUCH bigger than you!!

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but here is my situation.

Getting ready to leave for work this morning and I try to open the drivers side rear door. I feel something when I pull the handle...then nothing. The door won't open from the outside. When pulling the handle, you can't feel any resistance...Like something is disconnected. Here's the strange thing. You can open the door from the inside though.

Any idea how to fix this?
Old 09-07-2007 | 07:45 AM
MUCH bigger than you!!

Bump.
Old 09-16-2007 | 08:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stylishboy
I finaly opened my door. How ?
Well.. you need to open the front door and unbolt the four bolts that hold the rear door in place at middle of the car. Dont need to remove completly all the bolts... just loosen them a little and try to move the door...it will open easyly.

Then i removed the door panel... Removed the plastic cover carefully to put back later... Then i removed the two metal stem..(one for the door opener and one for the lock/unlock knob) Then I unbolt and took out the door actuator. And this was really hard to take it out from the door frame. After couple minutes of trying to understand how its works...I just follow the lock/unlock knob and find out that there was a moving part which was covered of rust. With a lot of lubricant and grease...I forced the two parts to move... AND THATS ITS....

Problem fixed without any additional COST. Only 1 hour of DO IT YOUR SELF
stylishboy-

I have the same problem! How were you able to get the door open... by just loosening the 4 bolts? And how did you remove the door panel?
Old 09-17-2007 | 01:56 AM
10th Gear

Hi Jonny5

You have to unbolt the 4 bolts that holds the rear door. Dont need to remove completly all the bolts... just loosen them a little and try to move the rear door...it will open easyly.

Once the door open... re tighten all the bolts in place.
Dont close the door.... untill you remove the door panel.

Then just falow exactly what I did ..... thats it
Old 09-20-2007 | 06:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stylishboy
Hi Jonny5

You have to unbolt the 4 bolts that holds the rear door. Dont need to remove completly all the bolts... just loosen them a little and try to move the rear door...it will open easyly.

Once the door open... re tighten all the bolts in place.
Dont close the door.... untill you remove the door panel.

Then just falow exactly what I did ..... thats it
Stylishboy

I tried that, and I still can't get the door open. Check your inbox, I PM you.
Old 09-21-2007 | 01:19 AM
10th Gear

Hi Jonny,

You dont need to loosen the 4 bolts connected to the door... juste loosen or even remove completly all the 4 bolts connected to the body of the car. Get someone to help you with that...because is not easy to handle the door. One holding from the handle side..and the other from bolts side. Just try to move it (the door) up and down and forward backward. Thats the way i get opened.... but you absolutly need someone to help you.

If you open to door... bu sure to be able to fixe it that day... because you not able to close it again.

It was the same problem. Door stuck at locked mode. Nothing to do from the inside... I tried a lot. The only way is to loosen the door and make it open from where he normaly close.

Be careful to not scrach the paint or fold the body.
Old 09-27-2007 | 10:16 AM
~It Aint Eazy~

Guys I did not remove those bolts and still got mine open.....

If you remove the door panel (with the door still locked and closed) you can then grab a hold of the stem that leads back to the actuator. Spray some lube back into the actuator and then grab the stem with some pliers and work it back and forth..... Works Perfect.......
Old 09-29-2007 | 08:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The_R1Ky_Kid

If you remove the door panel (with the door still locked and closed) you can then grab a hold of the stem that leads back to the actuator. Spray some lube back into the actuator and then grab the stem with some pliers and work it back and forth..... Works Perfect.......

R1Ky_Kid,

How did you manage to get the door panel open with the door close AND locked?? Because I did try that... I remove the screw near the door handle and the screw in the middle of the door, and then tried pulling the door panel off by pulling on it up and down. But the door panel would not come off. How did you do it? I thought you need to have the door open to remove the panel.... So i'm curious as to how you manage to remove it without damaging the door panel. Any info will be greatly appreciated!!!
Because I did not try what Stylishboy suggested yet... removing the 4 bolts and with 2 people started pulling on the door up and down until it opens. Kinda afraid I might break the door or something.
Old 09-30-2007 | 06:24 PM
~It Aint Eazy~

I sent this as a pm also but I thought it might help some others......

I just worked it for a bit..... It just pops out (without screws) in the front and bottom. Then you lift up around the window. ..... It took a lot of jiggling but eventually it will come off.... I cant remember were every screw was located but I just would pull a little to find out were it was being held...... Not a scratch.... Im a little anal about that kinda thing anyway, so I would want anyone else to tear anything up.....
Old 10-04-2007 | 05:06 PM
10th Gear

I am having the same issue as eisenhulk. My 99 driver rear door will not open. The external door handle does not feel like it is attached. The child proof locks are enabled and while the door will lock and unlock the inside handle can not be used and now with the external not operating I am stuck. Thoughts?
Old 10-06-2007 | 02:06 PM
10th Gear

Removing/Loosening Four Bolts Does Not Work

I have tried loosening and even removing the the four hinge bolts but with the middle hinge not accessible and the lug at the bottom of the preventing moving the door up my door still remains closed. So I am stumped I can not see anyway to remove the door panel with the door closed since the panel is pinched between the body frame and door. I have tried for a couple hours now push the actuator with a modified hangar. At this point it looks like I am heading to the dealer on Monday unless someone has an idea on how to either disable the child locks with the door closed or has a method of opening the door without the use of the handles.

Thanks 99TL
Old 10-06-2007 | 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

with some persistence the door panel will come off. You may break the clips bot it can be pried out. A few have done it.
Old 10-06-2007 | 03:43 PM
10th Gear

Success

After multiple failures with a modified hanger I went to Home Depot and found a thin flat piece of metal that I was able to use as a slim jim. 30 seconds of moving it around and I was able to press the cam down which released the door. The hanger just bent too easy and could not put the force required on the pin to release the door. Anyway door is open and now I can remove the door panel and figure out what is wrong with the external door handle.

Thanks for the advice guys. It kept me from going to the dealer and spending money!
Old 10-30-2007 | 06:19 PM
1st Gear

Angry Front Driver Side Door Does Not Open Anymore

Without prior notice, I can't open my driver's side door! All lock functions seem to work (key and lock/unlock switch) but the knobs, both inside and out, do not open the door when pulled! The door acts as if its locked eventhough the lock knob is "up" as normal. I've read the problems addressed in this thread but haven't seen a way to open the "front" door to remove the door panel.

Please help!
Old 11-11-2007 | 10:53 AM
8th Gear

Eisenhulk & kcleve52, have you got your door handles fixed yet.

Here's your DIY fix, since I'm sure that plastic handle assembly is a pricy part, aside from a junkyard.

Once you get the handle assmbly out (pm me if need details for that), You'll see that the side of the handle that pushes on the latch has broken.
Don't bother with super glue or epoxy, just not strong enuff.
Drill a pilot hole down thru the middle & into the lower brokeoff piece.
Oversize the upper part with the drill bit just slightly so the relatively long screw doesn't stop turning before its seated into the lower part.

Sorry I didn't think to take pics. But it certainly worked out great & i believe its much stronger that original.
Old 11-15-2007 | 03:06 PM
B93P TL Owner

I think my rear driver's side door actuator is bad now. Whenever I lock the doors, it makes this obnoxious sounding noise! Sounds like a stripped gear or something. Door unlocks appear to be fine.
Old 11-17-2007 | 11:52 AM
8th Gear

Need more info. What exactly are you unable to do?
Old 11-17-2007 | 12:05 PM
8th Gear

Need more info. What exactly are you unable to do? Can you open the door?
Is the powerlock function what's making the noise?

There is a motor that spins a gear oneway or the other to lock or unlock the door.
Yes the teeth on the plastic gear can become stripped and very possibly work fine one way, but jump teeth the other direction.
There's really no DIY fix for this since its an enclosed unit, and how can you repair worn teeth on a gear.
Thats an easy junkyard pull, or order it from the stealership.
Old 11-18-2007 | 07:53 PM
B93P TL Owner

Originally Posted by kbullman
Need more info. What exactly are you unable to do? Can you open the door?
Is the powerlock function what's making the noise?

There is a motor that spins a gear oneway or the other to lock or unlock the door.
Yes the teeth on the plastic gear can become stripped and very possibly work fine one way, but jump teeth the other direction.
There's really no DIY fix for this since its an enclosed unit, and how can you repair worn teeth on a gear.
Thats an easy junkyard pull, or order it from the stealership.
Interesting. I am able to use the powerlock function without any problems, it just makes the noise in the locking position (very load noise at that). Is it possible to replace just the actuator, or would I have to replace the entire motor (w/ actuator inclusive)? This basically equates to a $30 part vs. a $90 part.
Old 12-02-2007 | 08:57 AM
8th Gear

It's all inclusive in one walkman sized unit, held on by the 3 screws around the door latch.
Old 07-31-2008 | 02:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The_R1Ky_Kid

Did exactly the same to both my rear doors today. All my friends complained since they couldn't open the rear door from the inside...

Took of the panel, and the top right corner of the plastic inside (dont have to remove the entire thing). Sprayed a lot of lubricant and let is sit for a while. Then I pushed and pulled the rod going to the actuator a dozen times or so and closed everything back together. It works like new now!!

I used the PB50 lubricant and it took total of 40mins for both the doors. Pretty easy I would say.