random clicking from turn signal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
random clicking from turn signal?

ok.. so i started noticing this a couple weeks ago and its just freakin weird.. you know the clicking sound you get when you have your blinkers on right?.. and you know how its a fast clicking when one is burned out?.. well recently there has been a random fast clicking like a bulb is burned out, only there are none burned out and my turn signal is not even on.. so uh.. wtf??
Old 12-20-2009, 10:01 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
are you sure every bulb is working, but it could also be a bulb that is basically burned out, but is still working enough (like the filament is broken, but it is still dangling there, and still making contact, so it still kinda lights up)
Old 12-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Pro

like i said.. its making this noise when i have no turn signals on whatsoever.. i could understand if it was randomly fast when a turn signal was in use and i would check the connections, but its doing just the clicking noise when there is no signal being used.. when i get off work tomorrow ill see if i can make a video of it or something (if i can figure out how to upload the shit from my phone)
Old 12-20-2009, 10:30 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Mista Juice
like i said.. its making this noise when i have no turn signals on whatsoever.. i could understand if it was randomly fast when a turn signal was in use and i would check the connections, but its doing just the clicking noise when there is no signal being used.. when i get off work tomorrow ill see if i can make a video of it or something (if i can figure out how to upload the shit from my phone)
is it the evap purge solenoid (on the driver side strut tower) you are hearing, cause it is resonating through the car???

but is there any specific time you are hearing it; like hot/cold ambient temp; engine is hot/cold, right after you start the motor or you have been driving at least 30 minutes or so, etc, etc.
kinda need more info
Old 12-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Regional Coordinator (SoCal)

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
check your turn signal relays?
Old 12-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by friesm2000
is it the evap purge solenoid (on the driver side strut tower) you are hearing, cause it is resonating through the car???

but is there any specific time you are hearing it; like hot/cold ambient temp; engine is hot/cold, right after you start the motor or you have been driving at least 30 minutes or so, etc, etc.
kinda need more info
its definitely coming from the turn signal stalk area.. it only did it a couple times today though.. the sound on my phone is shit, so i couldnt get a decent vid.. while trying to record it in my driveway, i could only trigger it by turning on/off the signals.. it just seems like maybe the relays are sticking or something.. not sure how everything works down there so i dunno.. ill try using my digicam later to see if i can trigger it and get better sound..
Old 12-21-2009, 05:27 PM
B A N N E D

its definitely coming from the turn signal stalk area.. it only did it a couple times today though.. the sound on my phone is shit, so i couldnt get a decent vid.. while trying to record it in my driveway, i could only trigger it by turning on/off the signals.. it just seems like maybe the relays are sticking or something.. not sure how everything works down there so i dunno.. ill try using my digicam later to see if i can trigger it and get better sound..
there are no relays in the steering column (but there are some right above your left foot), and i think the turn signal relay (or control) might actually be in the warning hazard switch (do you got factory navi???)

only things that i can think of that might be in the steering column area that might make a similiar nose to a relay clicking might be the ignition switch contacts arcing (if so, you will find out shortly if that is it), or maybe the solenoid for the key interlock (so you can only pull the key out with the car in park)
Old 12-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Pro

well i always just assumed the clicking came from the stalk since it was related to the signals.. it is definitely the exact same clicking that occurs while the signals are on.. just more random and faster here and there.. ill look more into it tomorrow when theres more light..
Old 12-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Pro

ugh.. so it seems to be more of a weather triggered issue.. on wednesday (got up to fucking 70 here) it was hardly doing it at all.. cold front came in that night and the past fews days have been very annoying.. im just gonna have to find the relays and probably just replace the damn things.. really irritating..
Old 12-26-2009, 05:38 PM
B A N N E D

ugh.. so it seems to be more of a weather triggered issue.. on wednesday (got up to fucking 70 here) it was hardly doing it at all.. cold front came in that night and the past fews days have been very annoying.. im just gonna have to find the relays and probably just replace the damn things.. really irritating..
i would love for it to be 70 degrees here, we are getting high's of like 30-40 degrees
Old 12-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Pro

i would love for it to be 70 degrees here, we are getting high's of like 30-40 degrees
trust me, it felt great.. but when its that temperature when you are fucking christmas shopping??.. fuck that..

the last few days were ~30/55 which is great weather for xmas IMO.. not TOO cold and not warm..
Old 01-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Pro

so i know im probably just going to replace the relay in the next couple days, but i went ahead and made a video a bit earlier when i got home.. crank up the video players volume and adjust your speaker volume accordingly..

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...t=03e84058.flv

Last edited by Mista Juice; 01-02-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:14 PM
B A N N E D

can barely even hear it, even on full volume :shakehead

but it does kinda sound funny, can you take a video and show the turn signal indicater in it too
Old 01-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Pro

can barely even hear it, even on full volume :shakehead

but it does kinda sound funny, can you take a video and show the turn signal indicater in it too
you can hear it enough to realize its there.. its a fast click like as if a turn signal bulb is out.. and i can take the video like you said, but you definitely wont be able to hear the clicking.. i had my phone right next to the panel just below and to the left of the steering wheel.. plus, when i panned down to the relay, i turned off the blinker.. so theres nothing to see anyways..
Old 01-02-2010, 10:31 PM
B A N N E D

only thing would say is take off the knee bolster (one philips screw inside the fuse box cover, and some snaps) and feel each relay and listen to try and pin it down closer to the source (there are a bunch of relays around that area)
Old 01-03-2010, 10:30 AM
B A N N E D

this might help TOO
Old 01-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Pro

this might help TOO
a red x?

thats not an image file i dont believe..

and yeah, im probably gonna check it out after work tomorrow and hopefully get it figured out.. its getting to the point where its doing it damn near all the time now.. ugh..
Old 01-03-2010, 10:38 PM
B A N N E D

, give me a second and i will get it again
Old 01-03-2010, 10:42 PM
B A N N E D

Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Pro

so its definitely the flasher relay that is clicking like mad.. i went up to the dealer near work just to see if they had a clue what it might be.. the guy that "helped" me looked at me like i was a fucking moron the whole time.. i asked if it might just be the relay sticking somehow and he says "well, some of these cars dont even have the actual flashers anymore, so it might be in the stalk".. umm.. what??.. then he promptly asked if i wanted to leave the car there.. i said no, which led to the "do you want to make an appointment?" and i said "umm.. no.. ill just check it out at home".. still looking at me like a moron, he walked off.. this was one of the retard service guys that have probably never touched a car in their life.. at least back at honda the service techs actually made a point to get a shop guy to come out with them to check out any problem i had.. ugh..

so i guess im just gonna buy a new relay tomorrow after work and see what happens.. if it doesnt fix it, ill ask my buddies at honda to check it out.. im only out like $12 for the relay anyways, plus itll definitely not be the problem if they do check it out..
Old 01-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Pro

so a faaaaaaaaaantastic turn of events today.. met up with a friend for lunch and was telling him about my issues.. got to the restaurant and started seeing what was flashing, what wasnt, shit like that.. looking closer, with the signals off but clicking like usual, the left indicator on the dash was faintly flashing.. so i went out and sure enough, the signal was barely flashing too... it would do it intermittently when the right signal was on also.. so after saying "fuck it, lets eat" we finished our meal and started messing around with the signals again.. while sitting there trying to figure it out, the fucking signal stalk started to smoke.. ugh.. so when the clicking was occuring by itself, the stalk would smoke, which meant it would be smoking all the fucking time.. so i just pulled out the relay for now and currently have no signals.. heading to the dealer tomorrow for a new stalk and hoping to hell that it will be fixed..
Old 01-08-2010, 06:23 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
Did you ever get the new relay? ^^ Post 20
Old 01-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
Did you ever get the new relay? ^^ Post 20
i went directly after work and the guy said that he has never had to order that part, so there wasnt one in stock.. he told me i might be able to hit up a parts store and they would be able to cross reference the numbers on the relay if i didnt want to order it.. i decided to put that off until after lunch, which is where, as mentioned in my previous post, i noticed the smoke and funky flashing problems.. this has put the relay on hold because it obviously was NOT the relay that was smoking..
Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Oh...Behave!

I have a 2001 CL and I just noticed a faint ticking/clicking relay-type sound that seems like it's coming from the left lower area of the steering column. It's not nearly as loud as yours is and only seems to do it while I'm cruising along the freeway at around 80 mph and steering slightly right or left to stay in the lane.

Please let us know what you find out!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same problem

i have the same problem with my tl. from i hear the tranny mounts but im not sure about that .
Old 01-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Pro

so i went bought the combo switch on saturday and started the dismantling.. had other shit to do and it was cold as fuck, so i didnt do much.. did more on sunday, but ran into an issue trying to take off the cable reel behind the steering wheel.. went to acura today and talked to a couple of the shop guys and they told me that there is another hidden clip that the manual doesnt mention.. got home, found the clip and the rest was smooth sailing.. swapped out the combo switch, put everything back together and tried it out.. NO CLICKING!.. plus the switch is a SHITload quieter than the other one..

after everything was double checked and tools put away, i went inside for the disection of the old combo switch.. here is what i saw.. the dark areas are burnt to shit and smell horrible..

Old 01-11-2010, 07:04 PM
B A N N E D

, melted plastic is never good

also to help anyone else, do you happen to have higher amperage bulbs in your turn signal or anything (or maybe a trailer lighting harness hooked on)

Last edited by friesm2000; 01-11-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Pro

bone freakin stock.. i guess it was just its time..
Old 01-11-2010, 07:25 PM
B A N N E D

bone freakin stock.. i guess it was just its time..

not very good at all if it is completely stock as far as the lighting goes, (i was thinking maybe it was cause of higher amperage being asked to go through it )

so how many miles were on it at the time

also just another reason to not use your blinker
Old 01-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Pro

im at a bit over 118k right now.. when i mentioned the quietness of the new switch, i mean there was a serious difference.. i noticed it seemed a bit louder than usual when i bought the car, but being that i didnt know the car, i figured it was kinda normal.. now that i have heard the way its SUPPOSED to sound, im thinking somewhere down the line the previous owner may have damaged it in some way.. but i dunno.. i got it all situated and shouldnt have to worry about it anymore for quite a while..
Old 01-11-2010, 07:48 PM
B A N N E D

im at a bit over 118k right now.. when i mentioned the quietness of the new switch, i mean there was a serious difference.. i noticed it seemed a bit louder than usual when i bought the car, but being that i didnt know the car, i figured it was kinda normal.. now that i have heard the way its SUPPOSED to sound, im thinking somewhere down the line the previous owner may have damaged it in some way.. but i dunno.. i got it all situated and shouldnt have to worry about it anymore for quite a while..

i was kinda thinking the same thing, cause that does not seem normal at all, maybe they liked to be those idiots that you see driving down the road with their blinker on

also did that stalk ever seem to be loose/have play in it

and normally when they go bad, it is normally the headlight switch on that stalk, or is basically hanging there, or has alot of play in it
Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Pro

it seemed to have a bit of play, but it didnt stand out as much as how loud the thing *clicked* when engaging the signals.. it literally sounded like something was cracking or something each time..

no play or anything in the headlight portion though..

and as far as the previous owner, he was a friend of mine.. cool guy and all, but honestly didnt really know much about cars at all.. so i wouldnt put it past him that he might have screwed something up by either pulling up or down too hard or forcing it some other way..

aaaaaanyways.. those days are over.. now i gots my new shit and hopefully troubles in that area are behind me..
Old 04-19-2010, 02:27 PM
on to the next one...

so i went bought the combo switch on saturday and started the dismantling.. had other shit to do and it was cold as fuck, so i didnt do much.. did more on sunday, but ran into an issue trying to take off the cable reel behind the steering wheel.. went to acura today and talked to a couple of the shop guys and they told me that there is another hidden clip that the manual doesnt mention.. got home, found the clip and the rest was smooth sailing.. swapped out the combo switch, put everything back together and tried it out.. NO CLICKING!.. plus the switch is a SHITload quieter than the other one..

after everything was double checked and tools put away, i went inside for the disection of the old combo switch.. here is what i saw.. the dark areas are burnt to shit and smell horrible..
I'm going to need to bump this and hope you're still around...

I am having the exact same problems with my 2001 CL-S you were having. I swapped out the Signal Relay for a new one from the dealer, but no dice. Same issues continue to occur and they dealer is NO help WHAT-SO-EVER. So, can you please explain this "combo switch" in better detail? Do you have a part # by chance? Where exactly is it located? What does it look like?

My local dealer wants two hours labor and $100 in parts to "maybe" fix it. Pass.

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend me.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by bgsm1th
I'm going to need to bump this and hope you're still around...

I am having the exact same problems with my 2001 CL-S you were having. I swapped out the Signal Relay for a new one from the dealer, but no dice. Same issues continue to occur and they dealer is NO help WHAT-SO-EVER. So, can you please explain this "combo switch" in better detail? Do you have a part # by chance? Where exactly is it located? What does it look like?

My local dealer wants two hours labor and $100 in parts to "maybe" fix it. Pass.

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend me.
the combination switch is what they call all the shit dealing with the turn signals and lights.. the 2 stalks coming out of the column.. the one you need to replace of course would be the turn signal side.. according the hondapartsunlimited.com, the part # is 35255-S0K-A11 and is about $60..

it should be roughly the same setup as mine, so let me know if you need any pointers or copies of the manual to look at..
Old 04-20-2010, 04:29 PM
on to the next one...

Thanks!