Problem starting after waiting short period of time

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problem starting after waiting short period of time

Hi Guys...

I've been having a pretty serious (read expensive) problem with my 2000 Acura TL. I was having problems starting the car and eventually it went dead. I took the car to the nearest dealership (Honda) for service. They diagnosed the problem as a fuel injection system failure and replaced the system.

Since getting the car back I have been having the makings of the same problem. I have only had the car back for about 2 weeks, but after driving the car and then letting it sit for a short period of time (less than 30 minutes), when I go to start the car, it has trouble firing. I am afraid of what the root cause might be.

When I contacted the Honda dealership about this repeat problem they informed me that it had something to do with the GAS and an additive added during the winter. They instructed me to not run errands (i.e. let the car sit for a short time and then fire it up again). Problem is, that's what I need the car for mainly.

Also, I recently changed the air filter to a K&N filter...anyone think this might be part of the problem?

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Comments? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:11 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have the same problem, but ive noticed it only happens during the winter time. most people say its from a dirty EGR and IM.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like the infamous EGR issue.. theres a million threads on it and about 3 active ones in this sub-forum alone, might want to check them out to get more info.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It might be a sticky Idle Air Control Valve (IACV).

Another possibility is a problem with the immobilizer system.

I had a low RPM stalling problem in my 1999 TL and it turned out to be caused by the presence of a Honda key on my keyring.

The immobilizer keys can also be damagerd if they get wet or too hot. Do you have a spare key that you can try? It might be a longshot but it's easy to check out.

And, as Blazin_TL wrote, there are a ton of threads on stalling problems in this forum and the main 2nd gen forum. Try a search with the term "Stalling".

Good Luck!

Bob
Old 01-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Believe it or not, check your alternator and Battery. It is a simple thing to do, no harm, good assurance, and may fix your problem.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamHMiller
When I contacted the Honda dealership about this repeat problem they informed me that it had something to do with the GAS and an additive added during the winter. They instructed me to not run errands (i.e. let the car sit for a short time and then fire it up again).
The suggestion not to use the car for short trips is ridiculous, especially after the dealership replaced the fuel injection system. That couldn't have been a cheap repair. They might be trying to cover the fact that they mis-diagnosed the problem.

If you haven't already, ask to talk to the service department manager. If the service department manager does not help out you might want to call the Honda/Acura national customer service folks and see if they can help.

And the alternator/battery check mentioned by acutee is another good suggestion. The dealership should have done this but you never know.

Good luck!

Bob