Problem with Power Steering Pump!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with Power Steering Pump!

Hey there, this is my official newb post. I've changed a whole lot of belts in my life, but I've never had this happen. I changed the accessory belts today, and when I started up afterwards, the power steering pump was super loud (always been quiet prior to today). While the car is running, no foam, but after shutting it off, foam pours out of the reservoir. I've taken it back and forth lock to lock and it won't quiet down or stop foaming. The belt is not too tight, and it sounds like air is in the system, but how do I get it all out? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Old 12-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Cruisin'

Okay, I'll give this a little bump. After more reading, I think may have initially overtightened the belt, so how fast will the pump fail after overtightening? Could it fail in 2 seconds? If it turns out I ruined the bearing(s), is it possible to rebuild? (I can't find a kit or info other than people mentioning it) The perplexing thing is that I didn't loosen or remove any hoses, but it seems there is air constantly getting into the system and I can't bleed it out. When the car starts, the reservoir just goes crazy and will foam a lot within about 15 seconds. The reservoir is the only place fluid is coming out. Finally, if I can't rebuild, is there someplace I can get a cheap(er) PS pump? $300+ is a little steep. Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
You had the same problem i did. I ended up replacing the suction hose for the power steering reservoir. The suction hose didn't show any signs of leakage but definitely let air back in as my fluid foamed out as well after turning the car off. The hose is cheap <$5.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Cruisin'

Alex, thanks for the tip. Exactly which hoses run which direction? I'll try this today if I know which hose(s) to replace. I can't find a manual for this car to save my life. I've got a used PS pump on the way, but I'll gladly keep mine in if I can fix it more easily. My wife's getting tired of being chauffeured around in my 4runner. Thanks again.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by celesTL
Alex, thanks for the tip. Exactly which hoses run which direction? I'll try this today if I know which hose(s) to replace. I can't find a manual for this car to save my life. I've got a used PS pump on the way, but I'll gladly keep mine in if I can fix it more easily. My wife's getting tired of being chauffeured around in my 4runner. Thanks again.

The hose that i'm talking is the one that runs from the reservoir into the power steering pump. Its the hose that is sorta going up into the pump, sorta looks like a S shaped hose.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks - I actually picked up that hose this morning, and got it on. How long did it take you to bleed the system? Any special techniques?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
bleeding the system shouldn't take long, start the car, steer all the way to the left, then all the way to the right for a couple times, and that is it. If you are still experiencing the foam, then it is not about bubble in the fluid, but the air from somewhere is leaking into the system.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Cruisin'

Yeah, bleeding the system is not happening. With the noise it's making and the continuous foaming, I'm just going to put another PS pump on and see what happens. I just hope I don't have to replace the rack.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:18 PM
2nd Gear

celesTL

I am having same problem. I just changed timing belt and when I took it out of shop, it started making noises whenever I turn the wheel right or left. The shop guy looked at it and said the pump is bad. I never had a problem with ps system up until they changed the belt.

I checked ps reservoir while the engine is on, and the fluid was gushing out of the hose and swirling very hard making the bubbles. And the fluid is all over the surrounding area. The shop guy says the pressure is too much the fluid is flowing over through the cap. Doesn't seem there is any leak in hose, cause it looked clean around the hoses.

I was browsing the forum and some says air might have trapped inside the system. but, you are having the same exact problem i am having, so let me know if the replacement of the pump fixed the problem. I might just replace the pump if it fixed yours.
I am thinking about getting the pump from the junk yard for $100.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Drifting

There was a thread mentioned about this problem. You might want to use the search to find it. He found the problem with the bearing and replaced it. It could be the problem of the belt was set to tout, causing damage to the bearing, making the turning pump unbalanced and creates bubbles.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by acutee
There was a thread mentioned about this problem. You might want to use the search to find it. He found the problem with the bearing and replaced it. It could be the problem of the belt was set to tout, causing damage to the bearing, making the turning pump unbalanced and creates bubbles.
Yeah, I read that thread, and that's what prompted me to get a new PS pump. I put the pump on today and the problem stopped. It seems that I corrupted the bearing (just like acutee said). DON'T OVERTIGHTEN YOUR BELT! That was over a week and $85 spent unnecessarily (and a lot of quiet cursing). Of course, the battery died, so now I have both the CEL (P1607 and P1768) and SRS lights on. I saw how to turn off SRS, and hopefully an ECU reset will take care of the CEL. It's too cold tonight. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Q4MilMiles
I am having same problem. I just changed timing belt and when I took it out of shop, it started making noises whenever I turn the wheel right or left. The shop guy looked at it and said the pump is bad. I never had a problem with ps system up until they changed the belt.

I checked ps reservoir while the engine is on, and the fluid was gushing out of the hose and swirling very hard making the bubbles. And the fluid is all over the surrounding area. The shop guy says the pressure is too much the fluid is flowing over through the cap. Doesn't seem there is any leak in hose, cause it looked clean around the hoses.

I was browsing the forum and some says air might have trapped inside the system. but, you are having the same exact problem i am having, so let me know if the replacement of the pump fixed the problem. I might just replace the pump if it fixed yours.
I am thinking about getting the pump from the junk yard for $100.
That is the exact problem I just had. I had my timing belt and water pump replaced and the mechanic said that he flushed the steering fluid because it looked dirty. After I left the shop it was making noise on every turn...1 month and another flush later Im paying for a new pump to get put in...the pump cost me $370 new. I was wondering if anyone knew whether the mechanic could have done something wrong to cause this?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Cruisin'

Since the problem began immediately after going to the mechanic, it may well have been his fault. Did you contact them immediately after the car started making noise? Did he overtighten the belt or put non-Honda PS fluid in? Even if he did cause the problem, you have to be able to trace the problem back to him or he won't pay for the fix.
It sounds like your issue is a little different than mine was. I couldn't even drive the car due to foaming from the fouled PS pump bearing. Someone else can probably help better on exactly is wrong with your system, but you can ask your mechanic why he replaced the pump (mechanically, not "because it was noisy"). If he can tell you what part of the pump failed, and it sounds legit, maybe it is. A lot of times, though, they grasp at straws (like we do) to eliminate the symptoms. Sorry about the $370.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:12 PM
2nd Gear

Ok...so I got lucky and found $57 2003 CL PS pump which fits my 2002 TL.
My mechanic replace the pump and it works wonderfully.
The mechanic said he disconnected the hose to the ps pump and after he finished he added regular ps pump fluid. I told him that the air may gotten into the system and messed up the pump and never use the regular ps pump fluid. I bought acura ps pump fluid from the dealer and he replaced with it. He said he took out the air in system with the new pump and the problem solved. He said he tried to take out the air with old pump but it still gave a problem. Of course, I got lucky with my honest mechanic. He ackwoledged his fault, but I gave him $12 for the pump job anyways.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Noises from power steering pump

Hey guys I have an 05 TL and am having the same issues when the engine is cold, then once it warms up it goes away.

I have a power steering pump in hand, but the service bulletin says replace on the o-ring. I am going to try this tomorrow and let you know how it goes. A $1.80 part versus a $300+ part why not try it right?

Link for the Bulletin:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b07-060.pdf

Link of video showing what it sounds like:

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y18...t=PC120371.flv
The following users liked this post:
tlemmon (01-09-2013)
Old 01-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Q4MilMiles
Ok...so I got lucky and found $57 2003 CL PS pump which fits my 2002 TL.
My mechanic replace the pump and it works wonderfully.
The mechanic said he disconnected the hose to the ps pump and after he finished he added regular ps pump fluid. I told him that the air may gotten into the system and messed up the pump and never use the regular ps pump fluid. I bought acura ps pump fluid from the dealer and he replaced with it. He said he took out the air in system with the new pump and the problem solved. He said he tried to take out the air with old pump but it still gave a problem. Of course, I got lucky with my honest mechanic. He acknowledged his fault, but I gave him $12 for the pump job anyways.
That's good you got a trustworthy mechanic. From your previous post it definitely sounds like you and I had the exact same problem. I figure that my bearing went bad really quick (like 1-2 seconds), but in all fairness it had 130k miles on it. I wish I were smart enough not to over-tighten in the first place, but since I wasn't before, I am now. Now about those pesky motor mounts...
Old 01-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Air in the system shouldnt have caused it. Air gets in the system in the manor that honda says to flush the system, and the procedure to expel the air si slowly turning lock to lock till teh air si gone.

Also for the belt,Your supposed to take a tension measurement before you replace it, then your supposed to readjust it after 5 min of heating/running to prereplacement tension
Old 01-12-2008, 07:53 AM
10th Gear

It seems to have worked! Unfortunately (?) since I am in Florida it hasn't been very cold, but we're should have a front move in Monday, so I'll let you know if it worked for sure.

I did it myself it took about 20 minutes and was a fairly easy repair.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wes157
It seems to have worked! Unfortunately (?) since I am in Florida it hasn't been very cold, but we're should have a front move in Monday, so I'll let you know if it worked for sure.

I did it myself it took about 20 minutes and was a fairly easy repair.
Thanks for posting your results and the bulletin. I'm heading to the stealership in about a week and will be having them investigate the same issue. They replaced my belt and belt tensioner last time around so next up is either the ring you mentioned or the power steering pump itself. I'm still under warranty so I'll be covered either way.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:59 PM
10th Gear

Exclamation Yeah!

Ok it got down to 39 Tuesday morning and NO NOISE!!!

It seems like replacing the o-ring took care of the problem for me. Hopefully this can save everyone some $$$ by not needing to replace the power steering pump. Good luck
Old 11-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Cruisin'

To the OP and whoever posted the PDF- THANK YOU!!! This is happening to my 06 TL. I got a quote from Firestone Auto for $1150. Then I called Acura and they said $550. Then I went back to Firestone and they said I the PS pump was bad- $330. Now it's $1.80.

I owe somebody some beer.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Instructor

Slightly different problem

I had a different problem last night, but this service bulletin helped me out. I started hearing a whine at high rpm, that steadily got worse as I drove. After a few miles, by steering went dead so I know I had a PS problem. Pulled into a gas station and checked the fluid level only to find it empty and fluid all over the engine compartment.

I checked all the hoses but they looked good. When I traced the hose to the pump, I wiggled it firmly to see if the hose came unseated and what I found was the inlet pipe was sticking out to the point that I could see the O-ring. I pushed it back in, filled the fluid and it ran great. Problem is that I can pull the inlet tube out an fluid squirts out. I remember seeing the O-ring and it was orange.

Reading the service bulletin that means that it has been changed. I had my car in for service a few months ago and they corrected all of the recalls and did some other work. The mechanic must have not tightened the retaining nut properly and it worked itself loose. After reading, I found the retaining nut underneath the inlet (which I couldn't see last night in the dark) and tightened it.

I am very glad my wife wasn't driving the car, as it could have been quite dangerous when the PS gives out mid-turn.

Thanks as usual for posting this good stuff. Saved me a trip to mechanic
Old 02-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommygun
I had a different problem last night, but this service bulletin helped me out. I started hearing a whine at high rpm, that steadily got worse as I drove. After a few miles, by steering went dead so I know I had a PS problem. Pulled into a gas station and checked the fluid level only to find it empty and fluid all over the engine compartment.

I checked all the hoses but they looked good. When I traced the hose to the pump, I wiggled it firmly to see if the hose came unseated and what I found was the inlet pipe was sticking out to the point that I could see the O-ring. I pushed it back in, filled the fluid and it ran great. Problem is that I can pull the inlet tube out an fluid squirts out. I remember seeing the O-ring and it was orange.

Reading the service bulletin that means that it has been changed. I had my car in for service a few months ago and they corrected all of the recalls and did some other work. The mechanic must have not tightened the retaining nut properly and it worked itself loose. After reading, I found the retaining nut underneath the inlet (which I couldn't see last night in the dark) and tightened it.

I am very glad my wife wasn't driving the car, as it could have been quite dangerous when the PS gives out mid-turn.

Thanks as usual for posting this good stuff. Saved me a trip to mechanic
Get a good degreaser and clean the fluid off every thing it got on.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

ok guys, same problem. i had the boiling over problem after over tighting the belt. so i ordered a new seal kit, new bearing and put it all together. the boiling has stopped but the noise is still there which means air. i have to ask. how fast should the fluid be flowing thru the resoivor? it seems to be flowing very very fast. i did this work on a car for a friend from work. i do not know acura well enought to judge if the fluid should be swirling that fast inside the pump. any knowledge that can be put with this will help greatly.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:14 PM
2011 SHAWD

i know this topic has been dead for awhile but please please please i need help. i got a 04 tl at around 185k and i put on a 03 type s intake and reved it a bit (but changed it back) then after two days i kept hearing a winning noise. my mechanic told me its from the p/s pump and the pulley. its annoying and my wheel still turns back and everything but the noise is a piss off. any suggestion b4 i get a oem pump for $400. please and thank you
Old 12-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kajan_8
i know this topic has been dead for awhile but please please please i need help. i got a 04 tl at around 185k and i put on a 03 type s intake and reved it a bit (but changed it back) then after two days i kept hearing a winning noise. my mechanic told me its from the p/s pump and the pulley. its annoying and my wheel still turns back and everything but the noise is a piss off. any suggestion b4 i get a oem pump for $400. please and thank you
Your intake should have little to nothing to do with it; probably just a coincidence it happened afterwards.

Does the noise go away after the car warms up? If so look here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/diy-105-power-steering-whine-fix-754586/

If the noise doesn't go away and is persistent you may need a new pump or at least a pump rebuild which involves removing the current pump and replacing seals and bearings that may have worn out.

Post in the 3G TL forum, they be able to help you out more. Use the search function there to look for other posts with the same problem.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kajan_8
I forgot to mention to check your P/S fluid level and check for leaks. Pump noise can be either low fluid, and/or leaks which allow air into the system and drop your fluid level.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:35 PM
2011 SHAWD

it doesnt go away it gets a bit quieter. but its still there. in a desperate attempt i just replaced the the fluid in the reservoir. cause i got the car used(it was brown). it didnt do anything. but im gonna try the steps in the forum you've suggested and see if any changes occur. and thanks alot for the reply
Old 01-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Cruisin'

I can't believe this thread is still alive. I'm glad I wasn't the only one this happened to (I shouldn't be glad about that), but hopefully my bummer experience saved some headaches like I had four years ago. I'm just doing a timing belt on the TL I just bought from my dad (2002, so 2 years newer than our other TL) and I've learned so much since then. Experience is the good stuff of life. Remember: don't over tighten your ps belt!
Old 04-09-2012, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

Hello, im having serious issues with my power steering. I cannot get my car to turn sharp like a quick right or going into a parking lot. Its very stiff to turn and tightens up when i try, and is making a weird grind sound.. I ended up having it in a shop a week ago because the two top bolts that hold to pully in place had snapped right in half and my serpantine belt came out of place and shreaded up... The mechanic also said he replaced my tensionar because i guess it broke aswell.. He wasnt sure if my power steering pump is bad or not but its been 3days and the bolts he had put in to hold the pully snapped AGAIN and my belt came off again, but didnt get ruined.. Finally got everything back togather but now my reservoir is leaking but I cant see why? i just pilled my power steering fluid this morning, drove it 2miles and now its empty again and it still doesnt want to turn? Does anyone have any advice on what is going on? I was told a bad power steering pump would just make it hard to turn, but all the bolts keep snapping which causes my belts to break
Old 04-09-2012, 03:50 PM
2011 SHAWD

Check where you park. Could be that it's leaking where the outlet pipe( one that goes behind the engine form the pump) connects to your rack and pinion. Also the pulp issue is normal on the 3G TL. Also the inspect the hose. Also the inlet pipe has a defective O-Ring. Check that also.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Cruisin'

I have the same problem i can hear the pump when i start the car with a cold engine. after driving a bit it goes away all quiet. also sometimes when pulling into a parking space the wheel gets very hard to turn. i know i have to replace the ps pump. i just bought the car and was looking forward to buying parts i didnt need like a stiffer suspension. I did see some rebuilt pumps on ebay for like 100-150 if you cant swing buying it from the stealership like me.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:16 PM
2011 SHAWD

Bucky balls. The problem is the O-Ring. Just replace that and you will be fine. No need for a new pump. The O-Ring is where the inlet pipe meets the pump. It's like 5$ at Acura. New pump is a waste.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

Is there a video or pictures on how to replace the o-ring?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Drifting

This instruction was from another member if you search it, hope it helps.

"At the bottom of the reservoir there is a thicker tube that connects back up to the ps pump on the right side. There is a little screw underneath holding the connector onto the pump. Take the screw out (10mm) and then remove the o-ring. Place the new o-ring on the connector and insert back into the ps pump and replace screw. You may want to remove the return pump tubing from the connector but make sure you have a rag underneath or your belts will be covered with fluid. Also it was easier for me to remove the wiring harness clips that's are near the ps pump. Of course grap some more ps fluid as you'll most likely loose a little in the process. Good luck."

Originally Posted by ogroncal
Is there a video or pictures on how to replace the o-ring?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:57 PM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I stopped at Sears and bought a small 10MM wrench. They sell a packet of small MM wrenches that enable you to get to that 10MM bolt and turn it easily. I couldn't get a wrench of any sorts on it and the smaller ones work well. My o-ring failed back in June and I had to replace it. Just just bumped the fitting while under the hood and it started sucking air.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
I had the same problem and didnt want to wait so I took the pump out and put silicone around the o-ring its been a year and no noises or issues hope this helps. I know the ring is cheap but thought I should put this out there.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Advanced

man good thing i found this thread .. my PS is leaking and i priced the pump at autozone and its over 200$ .. im gonna degrease the heck outta the engine and then buy the O-ring and see how that works out .. does anyone have a pic of where the "infamous O'ring" leak is at?..
Old 10-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
If theres oil all over the pump then most likely its the High pressure side its the one on the top of the pump with the 2 10mm bolts on it very easy to replace.
The following users liked this post:
duran492 (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ErickUa5
If theres oil all over the pump then most likely its the High pressure side its the one on the top of the pump with the 2 10mm bolts on it very easy to replace.
how much is the high pressure hose?

Quick Reply: Problem with Power Steering Pump!