Problem with Ignition Switch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Problem with Ignition Switch Replacement

I'm replacing the ignition switch on my 1999 TL and I've run into a problem.

I removed the two steering column covers but I can't seem to free the black plastic cover that protects the ignition switch.

Following the Helm manual instructions, I removed the two screws on the cover but I can't seem to free it. It seems to be stuck on the forward/engine side of the cap.

The Helm manual just shows the two screws and it doesn't mention anything else to release. I released a snap connector on the rear/driver side of the cover but I can't see anything else that holding it in place.

Is there another screw or clip somewhere that I'm missing?

Or is there some sort of trick to remove it? I don't want to apply too much force and break anything.

I searched the forum but I couldn't find any discussion of this particular problem.

Thanks for any help.

Bob
Old 04-08-2007, 01:40 PM
MUCH bigger than you!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried actually lowering the steering column? I just replaced mine back in December and I didn't have any trouble whatsoever. I do remember lowering the column...could help you.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Eisenhulk
Have you tried actually lowering the steering column? I just replaced mine back in December and I didn't have any trouble whatsoever. I do remember lowering the column...could help you.
Thanks for the help.

Yes, I tried moving the column up and down.

I'm going to take another look at it now.

Bob
Old 04-08-2007, 10:04 PM
MUCH bigger than you!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I couldn't help you out any more. I just don't remember having any trouble with the removal.

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Drifting

OK, I figured it out!

Contrary to the information in the Helm service manual, in my TL there were three screws holding the black plastic cover piece in place.

The third screw, which was extremely difficult to see or reach, sat along the top of the cover along the path the ignition wires follow.

I was able to feel the screw before I could see it. Sitting in the drivers seat, you can find the screw by running your hand from left to right along the upper part of the cover. (This is only possible, of course, after you've removed the upper and lower steering wheel covers.)

In order to actually see the screw, I needed to lie on my back under the steering column with my head near the accelerator pedal.

And removing it was a pain as it was difficult to reach directly with a screwdriver. I ended up using a compact 90 degree ratchet screwdriver to break it free. At that point I was able to spin the screw out with a regular screwdriver even though I couldn't insert it completely.

Once that screw was out, the cover came off very easily and I was able to replace the ignition switch without a problem. When I put everything back together I didn't even reinstall the third screw since the cover felt very secure without it.

The fact that I couldn't find any other comments or complaints about this third screw makes me wonder if it just wasn't installed in most second generation TLs. In my car the ignition switch was previously replaced under a recall. Perhaps the dealership installed the third screw at that point?

In any case, perhaps this post will help someone else in the same situation down the road!

Bob
Old 11-12-2015, 07:38 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Pictures and more details

Here are some pictures of that screw, the plastic cover etc. My son laid down under the steering wheel to get at the screw, his first impression " this is a real booby jizzler" If you don't want your kids to say those things, keep them away from the Youtube!
I have a picture of a right hand phillips screw driver we used to loosen, and as mentioned above you can angle a long phillips in there to get it out. We did not replace that screw, instead used it on the new ignition, the original only has 2 screws holding it in, one on the plug and the other on the plastic cover. So we put 2 on the ignition and used the 3rd on the plastic cover.
Thanks to everyone who posted, hope this helps someone along the way.

The screw is at 1 o' clock from the end of his finger, just visible.

Above the black plastic, left of the greased yolk that holds the steering wheel.

We put the screw from the back of the cover, in the bottom hole of the harness, one goes in the top, and the other goes in the bottom left hole to secure the plastic cover

The infamous, and not mentioned in the manual, back screw in the plastic cover.

Installing the 2 screws

Inner switch, and why it would fail if the key wiggled. You can see the wear, dirt, and worn down copper contacts on the right hand piece.<br/>
The following 2 users liked this post by shamal:
BLADE RUNNER (07-28-2022), Chojun (11-12-2015)