Newbie with questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 10:02 AM
peg
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Newbie with questions

This is my first time posting. I bought a 2003 Acura TL Type S about two weeks ago. It's beautiful and I'm really liking it.

I have noticed a couple of things that are bothering me and I did take it to the Acura dealer service department to have it checked out but of course they found nothing wrong. (They did find that there is a recall on the timing belt which I plan to have fixed next week). So here are my problems.

I have heard a static, transmitter type sound a few times. It only last a couple of seconds. Not long enough for me to detect where it might be coming from. My guess was the audio system. I read some threads here and this was mentioned that others have the same problem and that it is the cell phone. So I'm hoping that's the case. It doesn't happen often at all.

Second problem, We have had a lot of rain so I have been using my wipers a lot.
There is a cloudy film on the windshield when I use my wipers and when it rains. So I turned on the defogger thinking that would take it away but it didn't. The dealer checked the blades and said they were good and they cleaned the windshield good thinking it could be a build up of road debris or wax. Nothing worked. What could this be and does anyone else have this problem?

Thirdly, I have noticed a little flutter (like skipping) between the automatic first and second gears. My husband has driven it, my son has driven it, and they test drove it at the dealership but of course it didn't happen with them. Again, this does not happen every time. What could this be?

I asked the dealership guy if it could be the gas I used. I put regular in it when I got it and then someone told me (plus I read it in the manual) to only use high grade (91 or higher) so I did that the next time I filled up. He said NO that wouldn't cause the car to do that and that it's not bad on the car to use regular.
What type of gas do y'all use and do you think it makes a difference?

Thank you all for your replies!!

Tell me some great things about the Acura TL. I thought this is supposed to be a top grade car.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:56 AM
peg
5th Gear

Originally Posted by peg
This is my first time posting. I bought a 2003 Acura TL Type S about two weeks ago. It's beautiful and I'm really liking it.

I have noticed a couple of things that are bothering me and I did take it to the Acura dealer service department to have it checked out but of course they found nothing wrong. (They did find that there is a recall on the timing belt which I plan to have fixed next week). So here are my problems.

I have heard a static, transmitter type sound a few times. It only last a couple of seconds. Not long enough for me to detect where it might be coming from. My guess was the audio system. I read some threads here and this was mentioned that others have the same problem and that it is the cell phone. So I'm hoping that's the case. It doesn't happen often at all.

There is a cloudy film on the windshield when I use my wipers and when it rains. So I turned on the defogger thinking that would take it away but it didn't. The dealer checked the blades and said they were good and they cleaned the windshield good thinking it could be a build up of road debris or wax. Nothing worked. What could this be and does anyone else have this problem?

Thirdly, I have noticed a little flutter (like skipping) between the automatic first and second gears. My husband has driven it, my son has driven it, and they test drove it at the dealership but of course it didn't happen with them. Again, this does not happen every time. What could this be?

I asked the dealership guy if it could be the gas I used. I put regular in it when I got it and then someone told me (plus I read it in the manual) to only use high grade (91 or higher) so I did that the next time I filled up. He said NO that wouldn't cause the car to do that and that it's not bad on the car to use regular.

Tell me some great things about the Acura TL. I thought this is supposed to be a top grade car.
Is there no one out there that can help me? I particularly interested about the windshield.
I also would like to hear from those with the same car I have and how you feel about it.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2005, 11:33 AM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cloudy film is probably do to road build up - I would suggest two things - 1) replace your wipers (even though the dealer said they are "good") you can get some at autozone, pep boys or walmart - if you want to go higher end you can get some online. In addition to replacing the blades you can (some have different opinion here) wash down your windshield with a mixture of dawn and water - only your windshield, this will get off any oil and residue.

Does this occur around 18 to 22 mph and while you are in first almost shifting to 2nd?

Bad gas can cause issues - most here use 91 or higher, some have no issues with 89, but the manual and recommended octane is 91 - stick with want Acura suggested - Back to bad gas this can cause the fluttering, partly due to a mixture of water in the gas, stick to a station with heavy traffic flow - generally the gas is replished more often and have a better seal on holding tank. Try a gas treatment - STP and see if that helps.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bareback
Bad gas can cause issues - most here use 91 or higher, some have no issues with 89, but the manual and recommended octane is 91 - stick with want Acura suggested - Back to bad gas this can cause the fluttering, partly due to a mixture of water in the gas, stick to a station with heavy traffic flow - generally the gas is replished more often and have a better seal on holding tank. Try a gas treatment - STP and see if that helps.
In addition, change spark plugs with NGK Iridium and use Redline fuel cleaner (avail at Pepboys).
Old 08-12-2005, 12:17 PM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By the way welcome!
Old 08-12-2005, 03:30 PM
peg
5th Gear

Thank you both for your help! And thanks for the welcome!

What type of Acura do y'all drive? Are you satisfied?

This message board is different than others I have been on as far as posting. I don't quite understand it.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by peg
Thank you both for your help! And thanks for the welcome!

What type of Acura do y'all drive? Are you satisfied?

This message board is different than others I have been on as far as posting. I don't quite understand it.
Your posting in the TL community 2nd Generation so 99.9% of members that post here owns a 2nd Gen TL. I own a 99TL w/Navi and I'm very satisfied
Old 08-12-2005, 04:13 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by peg

Do you have a nextel? I do and every time I change a tower or get a voice mail I have the same noise. So does my wifes TSX. Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to 2G Acura TL forum. So, obviously most of people here are driving 2G Acura TL.
About the windshield, I find that my car, 02TLP, has a really reflected windshield. So, under the sun, it is a bit hard to drive.
Acura builds reliable cars and they really stand behind their products. Of course, no one is perfect and you will find some minor problems here and there, but Acura will fix it under warranty for you. I even have a broken door handler with my 02TL. lol
Old 08-12-2005, 09:18 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

There is also a TSB for this. Something about the wiper fluid from the factory being corrosive and causing the wiper blades to create this "cloud" you mention. Mine do it, too.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:17 AM
peg
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
There is also a TSB for this. Something about the wiper fluid from the factory being corrosive and causing the wiper blades to create this "cloud" you mention. Mine do it, too.
coupeV6....What is TSB? Also, have you solved your "cloud" problem?
Old 08-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by peg
coupeV6....What is TSB? Also, have you solved your "cloud" problem?
TSB is Technical Service Bulletins. It is for car mechanics to easily diagnosis the problem with the car.

I guess he solved the "cloud" problem by using all the wiper fuild in the car and switch to different brands .
Old 11-22-2008, 01:25 AM
1st Gear

cloudy and skipping

Originally Posted by peg

I preface this with: If you had any success with solution to the windshield problem, please post it!

I have a 2003 Toyota Corolla with the same windshield problem. I was googling to see if anyone else had the same phenomena. Every time my wipers go back and forth, my windshield clouds up. The first time I drove in the rain was at night--I thought my windshield was fogged up from the inside and turned on the defroster. When headlights hit the windshield, I could barely see. It is a pain and a hazard.

I had the wipers changed under the warranty and the objections of the dealership (because they were replaced at inspection--hmm). I had the car washed at an auto car wash and waxed with their super spray coat. It didn't make any difference. I am going to try dish soap, lemon juice, vinegar, Windex, anything. That Rainex (?? name) that sheets off water, and, maybe a hit of Maguires Marine paste wax. Before my warranties/service contracts that cover a new windshield run out. It is a used car purchased recently.

As far as your skipping--Buy the higher octane gas. They told me the Corolla would run on the low grade as well. So far not so bad. I had a Celicas for 20 years--my black GT for 18 years. High test all the way. Never had a problem. Fuel injectors stay cleaner with higher octane. It is your fuel injectors.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:59 AM
2003 TL-p

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
ur TL is fine for the most part, if the tranny is acting any bit more weird than it its toast. a little shuttering is normal.
check the tranny fail

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/tranny-failure-thread-566833/