Malfunction Indicator Lamp and TCS stay on ... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Malfunction Indicator Lamp and TCS stay on ... Help!

I bought this 99 TL last month and today, the TCS and MIL [ not Maintainance Req'd or Service Engine] lights came on and stayed on while driving to work.. I turned the car and re-started, the TCS light turned off, but the MIL stayed on...

Started driving the car and after about a mile or so, the TCS lit up again..

I tried re-setting the MIL light by turning the car off, holding down the CT and RESET buttons and starting up the car again while holding'em down .. released the buttons after about 12 - 15 seconds... but the MIL indicator stays on!

The TCS light goes off evertime I re-start the car and doesn't come on until I start driving..

I'm assuming it has something to do with the TCS sensor maybe ?

Can someone shed some more light on this and also how to reset the MIL indicator ?

I don't wanna go running to the dealer and get bent over something minor!

Thanks

Rahul
Old 01-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Rahul
[ not Maintainance Req'd or Service Engine]
Well it has to either be the service engine light (other wise known as the CEL light) or teh Maint required light.

Having the CEL light and TCS light on could be MANY things. THe ecu is programed to have those lights come on for many things. Your best bet is to go to a auto parts store that does free code reading and see what code it comes up with. Then come back to us and we can help you. Other wise all we will be doing is guessing upon the dozens of codes it could be.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Cruisin'

Smile

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Well it has to either be the service engine light (other wise known as the CEL light) or teh Maint required light.

Having the CEL light and TCS light on could be MANY things. THe ecu is programed to have those lights come on for many things. Your best bet is to go to a auto parts store that does free code reading and see what code it comes up with. Then come back to us and we can help you. Other wise all we will be doing is guessing upon the dozens of codes it could be.

I'm sorry about the mix up.. It is the CEL .. I looked up the manual and it addresses the service engine light / Malfunction Indicator Lamp as MIL .. It's def. not the Main. Required light ..

I'll swing by advance auto and have'em read the code and post back!

Thanks
Old 01-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Cruisin'

boy.. that took me a while to get done.. It is the P0401 : Insufficient EGR flow determined..

Damn EGR Valve is $167!!