Maintenance Required Light and Maintenance Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:55 AM
2002 Acura TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Maintenance Required Light and Maintenance Schedule

Maint Req`d light on... I did the trick with the Ignition II hold select and that oterh button for 10 seconds.. It used to work like last year when I last did it, but now It won`t work........ what should I do?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Make sure key is on the first notch, then press and hold the two push-sticks, then turn key to ON, then let the light flash until it stops (about 10 secs). That is it.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
You NEED to push and hold the Trip AND Reset buttons, THEN while still holding them turn the key to run(don't start the car) and hold them till the light goes off.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:04 AM
2002 Acura TL

Thumbs up Help

Which hose is the thermostat housing located?

Left or Right?

I've done research and it said the hose that connects to the rad,
but just double-checking thanks!

replacing my thermostat.

I know I should clean my engine out lol..
Old 08-21-2013, 07:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Both of the large hoses go to the rad. The hose on the right which goes to the bottom of the rad is the one which has the T-stat housing located in it's top clamp. Simply remove the housing's bolts and the T-stat is within it.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Exactly what 3.2Tlc said changing the t-stat is not that hard of a job. Let us know how you do
Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 AM
2002 Acura TL

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Both of the large hoses go to the rad. The hose on the right which goes to the bottom of the rad is the one which has the T-stat housing located in it's top clamp. Simply remove the housing's bolts and the T-stat is within it.
Thank you so much, working on it right now its hard to see the 2nd screw, I see it hiding underneath.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:04 PM
2002 Acura TL

doesn't work I put keys in switch in once on the (I) hold both buttons down switch to ON (II) wait a couple seconds and the the check oil came out not maint reqd help? it used to work before
Old 08-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Registered Nonmember

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
both buttons are operational?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:36 PM
2002 Acura TL

yay, finished it!
one problem... the scanner said I needed to replace my t-stat so I can remove the Main Req'd light.. but it's still there? do I have to drive it around? I need this to pass the e-mission test to renew license plate sticker.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 PM
2002 Acura TL

Originally Posted by TheMightyQuinn
both buttons are operational?

pretty sure they both work unless theres like a fuse for em? is there?
hmmmph..

I put it in 1, hold the buttons *2 of the buttons* then switch to ignition 2...
and wait a couple seconds and this goes away instead: not the maint reqd
Old 08-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Registered Nonmember

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
meaning, you can press select showing A and B trip counters and the reset button resets the trip counter. just making sure there isn't a problem with the buttons.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:57 PM
2002 Acura TL

meaning, you can press select showing A and B trip counters and the reset button resets the trip counter. just making sure there isn't a problem with the buttons.
I'll check that now
Old 08-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Pro

First conrgats on getting the t-stat replaced. I read you other post about the light. I'm a little confused as to which light is coming on, if you could post a pic it would help. The Main Req light is trigerd by the odometer not CELs
Old 08-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Pro

Seeing your other thread about the t-stat not sure what light your talking about. The picture you posted in this thread was for the check oil light that comes on at start up or any time the oil pressure sensor reads low oil pressure. The Main. Req. light is trigerd by the odometer when you need an oil change. Your other thread reads like you had a CEL which is a different light all together. Please post a pic of the light that you currently have on the dash.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, the "Maintenance Required" light is simply a mileage driven reminder for things like oil changes. It's easily reset and won't affect your emissions. The "CEL" is the warning lamp for a potential problem requiring attention. This may cause issues with inspection and runability. A simple search or just check the "DIY" sticky for more info on resetting the lights.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Lightbulb "CEL" warning lamp.....

Originally Posted by tjkazai
pretty sure they both work unless theres like a fuse for em? is there?
hmmmph.. : not the maint reqd

Hey Tjkazai, what ya have a pic of here is the "CEL" lamp being illuminated on.

To turn this warning lamp off, have the codes read first....then with the key off, remove #13 (Clock Backup Fuse) 7.5A which is located in the passenger side's interior fuse panel. Re-install the fuse after a minute and the "CEL" lamp should go off. But beware, if there is an actual problem the lamp will come back on again !!!
The following users liked this post:
03 tls nc (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 06:31 PM
2002 Acura TL

It doesn't work for some reason? It only shows trip A.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 PM
2002 Acura TL

Yeah, the "Maintenance Required" light is simply a mileage driven reminder for things like oil changes. It's easily reset and won't affect your emissions. The "CEL" is the warning lamp for a potential problem requiring attention. This may cause issues with inspection and runability. A simple search or just check the "DIY" sticky for more info on resetting the lights.
Well I went to the shop the guy scanned everything and said I have a CEL? but nothing on the dash but the Maint Reqd, also I went to Mr. Lube not to long ago and replace engine oil and coolant, they replaced everything. And yeah I failed the emissisons cause of this? oh yeah it said t-stat made me fail or something, I replaced my t-stat today it still shows Maint Req'd also the temperature raised used to be low now its over the half line like right on the 'H' thanks!
Old 08-21-2013, 06:42 PM
2002 Acura TL

Originally Posted by 03 tls nc
Exactly what 3.2Tlc said changing the t-stat is not that hard of a job. Let us know how you do
sure I could get a picture, I took a break right when I finished everything and my dad decided to screw in one of the T-stat housing and he broke the screw....... and when I drive the temperature has risen and I think I only have 1 screw on :/ the temperature raise up to the H... so I'd like to know if you know the screw size, 1 screw on do you think thats the reason why it has a higher temp on the guage? heres the pic:

tell me what I should do with the screw, temperature, and that light up instrument thank you so so so much!
Old 08-21-2013, 06:45 PM
2002 Acura TL

Hey Tjkazai, what ya have a pic of here is the "CEL" lamp being illuminated on.

To turn this warning lamp off, have the codes read first....then with the key off, remove #13 (Clock Backup Fuse) 7.5A which is located in the passenger side's interior fuse panel. Re-install the fuse after a minute and the "CEL" lamp should go off. But beware, if there is an actual problem the lamp will come back on again !!!
Sorry this is the actual picture:

Old 08-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Pro

The screw or bolt will only cause a problem if there is coolant leaking out around the housing. The bad news is that to will probably have to take the t-stat housing back off to get the broken part of the bolt back out. Why did the bolt break hope fully it was not cross threaded. I can't see in your pic what the lights are but you have to reset the computer to clear the CEL or it will not go off. You can pull the positive battery cable for a couple mins to reset the computer but you need to have your radio code. The Main. Req light and the CEL are to different thing and I think your getting them confused. Also you really need to know exactly what code was throne to properly diagnose the problem. I have never seen a code for a t-stat.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 PM
2002 Acura TL

The screw or bolt will only cause a problem if there is coolant leaking out around the housing. The bad news is that to will probably have to take the t-stat housing back off to get the broken part of the bolt back out. Why did the bolt break hope fully it was not cross threaded. I can't see in your pic what the lights are but you have to reset the computer to clear the CEL or it will not go off. You can pull the positive battery cable for a couple mins to reset the computer but you need to have your radio code. The Main. Req light and the CEL are to different thing and I think your getting them confused. Also you really need to know exactly what code was throne to properly diagnose the problem. I have never seen a code for a t-stat.
yes I got mixed up about CEL and Maint Req'd..
I should've got a better picture, I'll take another one.. so you wouldn't know why the temperature is raising? maybe I didn't install the t-stat properly? Do you have FB or something?
Old 08-21-2013, 10:31 PM
Pro

Tjkazai first you have two threads going for the same problem you need to let one go its getting to be a mess. What 3.2TLc said was right on for clearing a CEL, but I think you are confusing it with the Main. Req light. CEL tells you that you have a problem, the Main. Req light tells you to get your oil changed. I'm not re-posting what I have already said in the other thread please read there.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:27 PM
Pro

Don't worry about the pic of the CEL I know what it looks like. What made you change the t-stat in the first place? Was the temp going up? You need to find out exactly what the CEL code was. You don't want to run the vehicle hot you can blow the head gasket or worse.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:18 AM
2002 Acura TL

Don't worry about the pic of the CEL I know what it looks like. What made you change the t-stat in the first place? Was the temp going up? You need to find out exactly what the CEL code was. You don't want to run the vehicle hot you can blow the head gasket or worse.
Shit, ok I'll tell you the story...

so basically the car is running fine but my license plate sticker is expired and I went to the Ontario ministry of transportation they said to renew you need to do an "e-missions" test so I went ahead to a shop paid 45 dollars the guy said you failed the test because you have a Check Engine problem but it doesn't say that on the dash? just Maint Req'd and this other light I forgot what it's called.... so he scanned everything and said the Coolant Thermostat is causing it to fail.. so I bought a thermostat at a part store brand new and I replaced them today.. but bad luck 1 of the screws broke in half, and while I was driving I noticed the TEMP GAUGE blasting all the way to the H, nothing is leaking I checked, thats all.. so I should find another screw at home depot and screw it in also how do I remove maint req'd so I have no light instruments showing? thats the story.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:24 AM
2002 Acura TL

Tjkazai first you have two threads going for the same problem you need to let one go its getting to be a mess. What 3.2TLc said was right on for clearing a CEL, but I think you are confusing it with the Main. Req light. CEL tells you that you have a problem, the Main. Req light tells you to get your oil changed. I'm not re-posting what I have already said in the other thread please read there.
don't know how to delete this thread, trying to find out lol
Old 08-22-2013, 05:10 AM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
You can't delete threads, you can only have mods close it.
To show trip B, PRESS the SELECT button. Do this to make sure it works.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator

doesn't work I put keys in switch in once on the (I) hold both buttons down switch to ON (II) wait a couple seconds and the the check oil came out not maint reqd help? it used to work before
You have to wait at least 10 seconds. Not a few.

It doesn't work for some reason? It only shows trip A.
So when you push select it doesnt change from A to B? If not that is your problem. Have you removed the dash trim piece at all and maybe forget to reconnect it?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Pro

OP I have never seen a CEL that said thermostat I feel like you are may have been misinformed or gotten some ones opinion, but not what the actual code reads. There are several things that could be causing the temp to raise, but most importantly if this was not happening before the t-stat was replaced then you did some thing wrong not sure if there is room to install the t-stat backwards but that could cause it or the broken bolt could be letting coolant bypass. But the bottom line is you need to get the overheating and the broken bolt fixed then reset drive it, then recheck for CEL.

Thank you to the Moderator for combining the two threads not sure if it made it any more convoluted but at least we don't have jump between two threads. THANKS!1!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:59 PM
2002 Acura TL

OP I have never seen a CEL that said thermostat I feel like you are may have been misinformed or gotten some ones opinion, but not what the actual code reads. There are several things that could be causing the temp to raise, but most importantly if this was not happening before the t-stat was replaced then you did some thing wrong not sure if there is room to install the t-stat backwards but that could cause it or the broken bolt could be letting coolant bypass. But the bottom line is you need to get the overheating and the broken bolt fixed then reset drive it, then recheck for CEL.

Thank you to the Moderator for combining the two threads not sure if it made it any more convoluted but at least we don't have jump between two threads. THANKS!1!
Ok, problem fixed, the temperature was fixed so little coolant after I checked the rad, I put more coolant and the temp goes to a quarter almost halfway so I'm guessing its normal temp right? I just need to fix that bolt.. Question what if the bolt is stuck inside the socket? :/

and btw the Select button doesn't work the mechanic didn't put it back together properly....... what the heck, what do I do to fix the button so I can reset the Maint Req'd? thanks!!!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Senior Moderator

What do you mean the mechanic didnt put it back together properly? Was the dash apart?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Drifting

Having the maintenance required light doesn't really matter, unless you really use it to make your decisions for oil changes. The real problem is why did your mechanic have to "put it back together"
Old 08-22-2013, 11:55 PM
Pro

Glad you got the temp down! If the bolt has broken off inside the housing it will have to removed to get to whats left of the bolt. Hopefully there is enough sticking up to put a vice grip on, if not you will get to learn about an easy out or bolt extractor. Like fsttyms1 and Hairymonkey said why was the dash apart? Either way you need to clear the CEL as instructed above drive the car then get it inspected so your legal.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:21 AM
2002 Acura TL

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
What do you mean the mechanic didnt put it back together properly? Was the dash apart?
the mechanic was fixing the gauages/speedometer cause they were broken at one point and he checked it and prolly got lazy and put it back uncarefully... -_-
Old 08-23-2013, 01:26 AM
2002 Acura TL

Glad you got the temp down! If the bolt has broken off inside the housing it will have to removed to get to whats left of the bolt. Hopefully there is enough sticking up to put a vice grip on, if not you will get to learn about an easy out or bolt extractor. Like fsttyms1 and Hairymonkey said why was the dash apart? Either way you need to clear the CEL as instructed above drive the car then get it inspected so your legal.
I'll test the car out tomorrow and drive it around, well my dad said it broke inside of it didn't get a good look of it, but I'll buy another bolt at a hardware store this is my only problem now, and there is no CEL I just got confused with Maint Req'd and CEL
sorry, thought they were the same.

and also 2 of my bolts broke I forgot to say lol, 1 for the air filter on the side bad luck...

now I have to fix my front turning signals they wont either I'll just pay a mechanic to fix it lol
Old 08-23-2013, 02:23 AM
Drifting

They are totally different things.
One tells you to change oil aka MAINTENANCE REQUIRED, the other is telling you that something isn't running right aka CHECK ENGINE. A lot of these things are pretty self defining.

Fix your own turn signals, that's one of the simplest jobs on the car why are you going to pay someone for that?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Pro

Hope you get it worked out, seems like you make as many problems as you fix it might be better to have a mechanic do the work.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:56 PM
2002 Acura TL

Hope you get it worked out, seems like you make as many problems as you fix it might be better to have a mechanic do the work.
yeah, I might get the guy to do it..
Old 08-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Pop the dash trim piece off and see if the trip reset switch is connected. If not connect the harness.

Quick Reply: Maintenance Required Light and Maintenance Schedule