loud buzzing sound above 45MPH

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 05:11 PM
She thinks my TL's sexy.

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
loud buzzing sound above 45MPH

I've had this on and off for a while. It happened today so I got agitated enough to finally ask...

I get a speed-dependent buzzing sound from what sounds like the front driver's side. It actually sounds like it is coming from the dashboard, but I know that is unlikely unless it has something to do with the speedometer. It seems to start when I go above 45 and stop as soon as I go below that. It happens every couple months normally as I get up to speed on the highway and then it typically stops in about 5 to 10 minutes. It is a very loud noise that sounds like I've got an angry bee stuck in the dashboard. The noise doesn't really change based on speed except for to come and disappear as I go above or below 45, respectively. I can't seem to find any correlation to RPM or gear.

I don't think it's the tires since the sound doesn't really change as I go faster. I don't think it's the transmission, as the RPMs seem irrelevant. I don't think it's related to the A/C or fan since it seems to only be speed dependent, though I don't recall if the A/C has always been on or not. I don't think it's a bee since this has been happening for months. Thoughts?
Old 08-30-2009, 11:51 AM
2003 TL-p

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
it could be the axles
Old 08-30-2009, 11:20 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I once had something similar. It turned out to be the black trim piece around the guage cluster. It was loose and I tightened the two screws just above the speedo (gotta get low and look up to see them).

Try pinching the front edge of the dash just in front of the steering wheel. You'll want to squeeze the dash and the black plastic trim piece to see if the sound goes away.

If that's not it, try pushing on any trim piece on the dash you can find. I have a feeling it's something like that, but it could be deeper in the dash. Let's hope not!
Old 09-12-2009, 06:14 PM
She thinks my TL's sexy.

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mooseink
I once had something similar. It turned out to be the black trim piece around the guage cluster. It was loose and I tightened the two screws just above the speedo (gotta get low and look up to see them).
I recently installed those screws actually (must've forgot to put them in at some point). This happened before and after, so it shouldn't be related to them.

Originally Posted by mooseink
If that's not it, try pushing on any trim piece on the dash you can find. I have a feeling it's something like that, but it could be deeper in the dash. Let's hope not!
I tried hitting and squeezing everything I could when it was happening. Nothing helped but I do feel like the sound is coming from deep inside the dash. Unfortunately it only happens for five minutes every few months so it's a little hard to troubleshoot.