0%
Intermittent headlights
0%
Intermittent low beams
0%
headlights issues
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Intermittent low beam headlights, 02 TL. Help please ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 08:04 PM
dukester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Intermittent low beam headlights, 02 TL. Help please ?!?

A couple nights ago while running errands I noticed while parking my right low beam was out. Restarting the car I noticed the right light was on again. Later in the evening I was testing in the garage and the lights came on fine, I shut them off and on and the right side was out again. Turned off/on again and no headlights at all. Tried again and this time the right fired but not the left.

Now, the next day I swapped out the fuzzes and reseated the headlight relays and tested them. The first time I applied power, the lights worked fine. Turning them on and off after that, most of the time I just get parking lights. Some times I get the left only, less often I get the right only and one in twenty or thirty tries I get both low beams. When they power up, they stay that way until I shut them off. The markers, high beams and fogs all work as designed.

This may be relevant…
The night before this occurred we had our first real snow storm in Buffalo, N.Y. I mounted my Nokian Hakkapeliitta snows (mounted on extra rims) and did some high speed (speed limit 65 M.P.H.) cruising on the local thruways. I had to use the left lane to pass the slow traffic in unplowed virgin fresh powder up to a foot deep. I was cruising for more than an hour before the plows came out and spoiled the fun. When I parked I had snow in tight places I had not seen it before.
I had done things like this last year /w no issues…

So I’m thinking moisture got into something – relays, computer or ballasts?
Ideas, advice and prayers are welcome. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:29 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moisture in ballasts? Since they are both acting up then it will be nearly impossible to test. You may either have to go to a dealer, or throw parts at it. Either way it cuold get expensive.

BTW - repeatedly powering the HIDs on is killer on the bulbs and shortens their life. Avoid doing this at all costs. For my HIDs, I turn them on only when they will have time to run for a while, I do not leave them on for the car to automatically cut them off because I've noticed that if I do that, one flickers a yellow color as the engine turns over. I just take caution.

Also, no need for a poll.