Instrument Cluster Bulbs and Shift Plate Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 12:49 PM
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Instrument Cluster Bulbs and Shift Plate Bulb Replacement

I have eight interior control lights that are out (some instrument cluster bulbs and the shift plate bulb) and I've been searching this web-site for info on how to replace these bulbs. Thought I would consolidate the info here.

Instrument cluster bulbs (cruise, tcs, sunroof, ac panel, clock, etc.) are neo-wedge bulbs - either T3/Type A or T4/Type B depending on the control. You can find these at autolumination.com for a reasonable price. By my count, there are 6 T4 and 8 T3 lights.

Instrument cluster removal -
4 screws to remove
*two in the top of the panel right above the speedometer/tachometer
*two behind the top of the steering wheel. Pull the steering wheel all the way down. Pull the plastic trim piece off the top of the steering wheel (no screws, just pulls off). Lift the black flaps at the top of the wheel and remove the two screws.
*I also previously pulled the trim piece below the steering wheel to get to my dashboard cigarette lighter that had come loose. Not sure if this is necessary to have off or not. Seemed useful to have it off. Don't forget the gold screw in the fusebox if you are taking this off.
*working from left to right and from the top...slowly pull the plastic cluster out. Undo the the electrical connections as you go. Not a hard process...just take your time.
*Once you get the cluster out, you can see all the neo-wedge lights on the back of the cluster. Use a small screwdriver to pull these out. Just twist a quarter turn and they'll come out. You'll need to remove the tcs/cruise and sunroof controls from the panel to get at the lights on these controls.

Shift plate bulb can be found at a local autopart store (autozone, oreilly, etc.).

Shift panel removal - remove black trim piece by pulling straight up. Just get something small under the trim piece and pry straight up. Remove the silver shift plate by pulling up from the front of the plate. The sides of the plate are tight...but you can get your fingers under top of the plate and pull up and back. I thought I was going to break it when doing this, but couldn't find another way to get the thing off. Under the silver trim plate is the PRND plate. Pull this straight out and the light bulb is under the PRND plate. Carefully use needle nose pliers to pull the lamp.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
nice job
MODS please ck and move to DIY list-thanks!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Thanks for taking time to do that.