I have the power steering pump replaced but no change in steering hardness

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:54 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the power steering pump replaced but no change in steering hardness

About several months ago, I was recommended by a shop I go often to have them look at my hard to steer steering wheel. They asked about 500$ for a steering pump to change but I decided to replace the fluid first. It became better but it was still relatively hard to steer. So few days ago, I brought my TL-S 2002 to a shop to do a complete replacement of power steering pump, but after that job is done in a day, they called me and told it is ready to pick up. Well, upon driving, I just found out that it was just same steering hardness and dificulty as before. So question here is, is there a way to know whether they have replaced it or not? I was expecting far more easier steering effort. It is not bad but what makes it suspicious is that it is virtually same as before. Any visual inspection? Perhaps, being earlier models the steering is not as soft as latest models? What reference point I can use?

The another sign they might have done haphazard job is that, they left out one lugnut (I can not say for sure because I did not inspect before) when they also did the rear rotors. Also maintenance light came up few miles after picking up the cars. All of them pointing to a shoddy job.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:19 AM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
The Type S does not have the steering pump gear in the transmission like the TL-P does. The pump gear helps you turn the wheel easier at slower speeds.

This means you will have a firmer albeit harder to turn steering wheel. I have a Type S and TL-P and there is a noticeable difference at speeds under 15 mph but above that the difficulty of turning the wheel is the same.

I would say you should expect this from your Type S and if it bothers you that much then get a base model.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:48 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
I have an '02 TL-S and every morning I back out of the driveway with something in my left hand and spinning the wheel lock to lock with one finger.

What do you mean by "hard to turn", exactly? It shouldn't be *that* hard.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:00 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes the hardness can be a relative based on the person's muscularity and other factors. I am kinda wimp side but saying that, before and after the replacement I see no change in how hard the steering wheel is. It is not terrible but it is moderately harder than I expect to be specially the fact it has just been replaced. Also few times, I heard a belt tensioner screeching noise when I started the car. How would that be if they have just replaced?

I am bit concerned because somehow if it has been forgotten while in bad shape, the damage can be more extensive to other steering parts.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Did the shop or you use OEM fluid? I know that two things in these cars you stay with Honda fluids that is Power Steering fluid and Transmission fluid.

If the shop said it changed out the power steering pump they should of showed you the old one as well as the rotors. Take it back to them and ask them to fix the screw and if they still have the old parts hanging around.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:29 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by guyenacurazine
yes the hardness can be a relative based on the person's muscularity and other factors. I am kinda wimp side but saying that, before and after the replacement I see no change in how hard the steering wheel is. It is not terrible but it is moderately harder than I expect to be specially the fact it has just been replaced. Also few times, I heard a belt tensioner screeching noise when I started the car. How would that be if they have just replaced?

I am bit concerned because somehow if it has been forgotten while in bad shape, the damage can be more extensive to other steering parts.
Yeah, it's hard to gauge something subjective like this between people! If there is no difference in steering effort, than I would guess the old pump was operating normally. A hydraulic pump creates flow - restrictions in the system while operating create pressure and the relief valve restricts the max pressure.

The power steering belt tension is set manually (unlike the alternator belt which has a tensioner) so if you hear squealing when you turn the wheel they may have adjusted it too loose.

To know whether they changed it or not you can take a look at the pump and it should look clean and new. You may not be able to tell if your engine bay is really clean though.

You might try jacking up the front end of the car and without the car running, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock. It should require no effort at all. If it's hard to turn you might have something else going on preventing the wheel from turning. Just an idea to at least rule out something mechanical.