I have delayed Acceleration prob!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:07 PM
FamusTLX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I have delayed Acceleration prob!!

Hey guys I have a 99tl-p with about 118k km. I have several pressing issues I'm worked tirelessly over the spring and summer months to try and resolve. Here's just one of them......................

1, When I"m at a light and I depress the throttle (gas) my car really hussles really quick. I've beaten a couple of G's and BMW 3 series with the kind of punch that this baby has. However, say if I'm rolling at 40, 60, 100 km/h and I punch the gas there's a delay of about 1/2 to a full second before the VTEC kicks in then it really motors. Also I can hear the engine reving right before the VTEC kicks in. Its as if the engine wines up and then unloads. I've searched about the place to see if I could find anything info on delayed accelearation but nothing yet. I don't know if my throttle body needs to be looked at or is this the way the '99s are designed. Any and all help is welcome.

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:10 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you get the transmission recall fixed yet? I was having the same problem with mine and took it to the dealership and they said it was the transmission. Since I bought my car used and it had over 100k on it, it was out of the recall range so they agreed to pay for half. I ended up shelling out $1500 to get it fixed, but that's better than $3000
Old 10-02-2007, 07:16 PM
FamusTLX

Originally Posted by ATLBlack99TL
Did you get the transmission recall fixed yet?
No I'm over the Acura warranty so they won't do nothing I'm tried so hard with them but nothing, absolutely nothing...damn bastards. I'm over the 96 months or whatever it its although I only have 118k km. So that method done. I have the dealer warranty which I paid $400 for but guys what they only cover $700 dollars and at the time of I bought it I was told everything under engine, tranny and differential is covered.

I just haven't had no time to go up there and tell them about their mothers, unless they fix my car.

Is it really a tranny issue?????
Old 10-02-2007, 07:21 PM
10th Gear

I didn't think it was my tranny either because it worked fine when I used the slap-stick (or whatever you call it) but after I got it fixed and they sent me a new tranny, it's been perfect. I would write a letter to Acura or talk to the head of the service department to see if they will at least pay for half as they do for many of their customers.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:16 AM
SixSpeedDreamin'

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/r-kelley-gets-go-grammy-awards-128793/
Click the thread above and try this. It might help.

Hey ATLBlack99TL did you go to Sons Acura fromerly known as Baranco Acura? I know Sons did a shitty job on my tranny replacement less than 1500 miles on my new tranny and it's doing the same as before. Sorry to jack the thread man.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:21 AM
SixSpeedDreamin'

FamusFace, have you registered your vehicle at Acura.com, if not do so. Go to Acura.com, and at the bottom of the website, click ownership experience and then click owner link. This will allow you to register your vehicle. The site will also tell you about recalls on your vehicle and if your vehicle is under warranty. It's just a helpful site to be honest. I called Acuras Client Service in California and they told me my vehicle was not under warranty, but I took the vehicle to the dealership and they said it was under warranty. Fucking backwards.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:35 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by AcurazinesFinestTL
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128793

Hey ATLBlack99TL did you go to Sons Acura fromerly known as Baranco Acura? I know Sons did a shitty job on my tranny replacement less than 1500 miles on my new tranny and it's doing the same as before. Sorry to jack the thread man.
No, I got mine done at Acura Carland. I was kinda upset after I left because after they had my car for two weeks and I paid them $2500 they didn't even change my oil for me.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:32 PM
T-Swzy

well back to the original question, this is kind of a stretch, but here's my uneducated 19 year old guess (setting myself up for an escape if im wrong )

when you're sitting at the light, your car is in gear and it just shoots right away. when ur cruisin at 40 or 50, chances are your car is in 4th or 5th gear, where for optimal performance it should be in 2nd or 3rd. so when you floor it, the delay is from the car shifting into the right gear for the pull that you need, then it shoots.

try driving in sport shift and putting it in 3rd or so and floor it
Old 10-03-2007, 12:49 PM
OMGWTFVTEC

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Razzi
well back to the original question, this is kind of a stretch, but here's my uneducated 19 year old guess (setting myself up for an escape if im wrong )

when you're sitting at the light, your car is in gear and it just shoots right away. when ur cruisin at 40 or 50, chances are your car is in 4th or 5th gear, where for optimal performance it should be in 2nd or 3rd. so when you floor it, the delay is from the car shifting into the right gear for the pull that you need, then it shoots.

why sport shift when you can gate-shift?

actually, this does seem like it would happen. i hardly drive in D5 so i cant say much, but hopefully, its that and not really a tranny problem...
Old 10-03-2007, 01:25 PM
T-Swzy

Originally Posted by 2K3_TLs
why sport shift when you can gate-shift?

actually, this does seem like it would happen. i hardly drive in D5 so i cant say much, but hopefully, its that and not really a tranny problem...
i never gate or sport, too much effort lol
gate shifting scares me because i jump gears very often and land in the wrong one

if that wasnt the problem, then good luck with whatever it is
Old 10-04-2007, 02:46 AM
B A N N E D

depends what RPM ur at.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:02 PM
FamusTLX

Wow that can't be right b/c I driven many cars that are old and new and none of then have this kind of a delay. You can literally hear the engine winding up then releasing the VTEC power. This is absolutely unexceptable for a luxury performance care. I'm pretty sure its a tranny issue. my frend has a 99 with 180k+ km on it and his drive way better than mine that has 118k km on it. Is it too hard to ask this fcuking car to shift normally?? WTF!!!

Sorry guys I'm a little bitter b/c this isn't the only issue I'm have this car.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:14 PM
FamusTLX

Wow that can't be right b/c I driven many cars that are old and new and none of then have this kind of a delay. You can literally hear the engine winding up then releasing the VTEC power. This is absolutely unexceptable for a luxury performance care. I'm pretty sure its a tranny issue. my frend has a 99 with 180k+ km on it and his drive way better than mine that has 118k km on it. Is it too hard to ask this fcuking car to shift normally?? WTF!!!

Sorry guys I'm a little bitter b/c this isn't the only issue I'm have this car.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:52 PM
OMGWTFVTEC

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
torque converter?
Old 10-10-2007, 05:07 PM
SixSpeedDreamin'

I would say it's a tranny issue. I had a major lack of power and my vehicle would run like it's restricted. I got tha' issue fix and it was the tranny, she ran perfect for about a week. Quick acceleration and boi that Vtec sounded great. Well after the two weeks she had a relaspe and went back to slow gear engagement, sluggish, etc.... I took it to Sons Acura and they said they didn't feel a difference, the tech and the service manager drove my car. That was complete bull&**(. I had them document the problem in their database. I'm under warranty so I will continue to drive the shit out of the tranny until they fix it.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:43 AM
B A N N E D

its probably just turbo lag =p
Old 10-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your Transmis should downshift a gear and accelerate when you hit t ithe pedal at 100km/h
if it does not ..then try to change the AT fluid
How old is your AT fluid ? Is it dark ?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:09 AM
FamusTLX

Originally Posted by acurabum
Your Transmis should downshift a gear and accelerate when you hit t ithe pedal at 100km/h
if it does not ..then try to change the AT fluid
How old is your AT fluid ? Is it dark ?
well had it flushed and drained twice since december last yrs.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:34 PM
FamusTLX

I really think this issue has alot to do with my torque converter. B/c is get alot od shutter when I either accelerated or come off the throttle. Is it passible to just replace the torque coverter b/c is was told that its locking up that's where the shutter is coming from.

my next issue is that when I put it is D3 instead of D4 then there's no delayed acceleration or torque lock up. I don't know if my D4 tranny is completely screwed.

Any advice????