hidextra install - apparently my TL is not like others

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hidextra install - apparently my TL is not like others

Trying to do the hidextra kit to fix problems with the OEM ballasts in my 2002 TL-S. This is a Canadian car. Was following along with this DIY, when I got the headlights out I realized they were not built like the ones in the pictures.

Rather than the hole with rubber grommet that the igniter wires go through in the pics, the wires come directly out of the middle of the bottom of the ballast and go through a large hole which has a rubber seal. Also, the external power connector to the ballast is soldered directly to the circuit board. Finally, the stock bulb holder has a lip that takes the spring retainer wire, the hidextra bulb holder does not have a lip.

Anyone solve these problems? The wire that needs to feed from the hidextra ballast is too thick/stiff to fold back under it and go through the large factory hole. I could mount the new ballast across the hole and seal it up but not sure where to route the wire into the headlight assembly.

Here's the headlight housing where the OEM ballast mounts:

Here's the bottom of the ballast. At the bottom of the picture is the power connector. It mounts with two screws but then there are two pins that go directly through the circuit board and are soldered there.

Here's where the bulb assembly is inserted. I have removed the factory spring clip which those of you who have replaced bulbs before have dealt with. The hidextra bulb holder goes in fine, I'm just not sure how to keep it in there in a stable fashion.

Factory bulb assembly, you can see the ridge where the spring clip holds it in.

hidextra bulb holder, smooth as a baby's butt:

Old 05-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
Welcome noob.
Ur tl isn't as special as you think, 02-03 headlights are like that. The spring clip holds the bulb in place, not the entire connection
Keep stock ballast on, drill another hole for igniter wires to go through.

The search feature here is nice.
The following users liked this post:
Joe Dwarf (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 12:27 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HairyMonkey019
Welcome noob.
Ur tl isn't as special as you think, 02-03 headlights are like that. The spring clip holds the bulb in place, not the entire connection
Keep stock ballast on, drill another hole for igniter wires to go through.

The search feature here is nice.
Thanks for the help. I have searched quite a bit here, I found a nice DIY on removing the headlights to polish them which I used to get to this stage. The only DIY with hidextra-specific pics I was able to find is the one I linked to in my post, clearly a different setup. Every other thread just talks about how everybody uses this kit without too many details or pictures. For example, the only way to use the stock power connector is to open up the stock ballast and desolder that connector. I suppose I could cut into the other side but then that makes it a PITA to go back to an OEM ballast if this kit doesn't work out.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Ifyou want some more detail, go to my signature and click "inspire". That's my build thread with some info on the low beam hid kit.
OEM ballasts are terrible, if any moisture gets in them you are pretty much fucked. So aftetmarket is the only way to go
Old 05-05-2013, 03:09 PM
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Splicing into that wire is about your only option if you're switching to a aftermarket ballast. I thought about doing the same when my ballast took a dump but then I found a cheap OEM and took the easy route. It won't that difficult to switch back to OEM if you decide to but chances are you won't go back. Just do it
Old 05-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts
The thing about aftermarket ballasts is that they are generic for the purposes of fitting many vehicles. This means that you may need to do minor modifications, like drilling holes, cutting some plastic, etc. in order to make everything fit. Don't be scared to do this. Just measure twice and cut once. You can always use some silicone sealant to make all holes and cuts waterproof. It's a 10+ year old car....your other option is to spend $2000 at the dealer to install ballasts and bulbs.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HairyMonkey019
Ifyou want some more detail, go to my signature and click "inspire". That's my build thread with some info on the low beam hid kit.
OEM ballasts are terrible, if any moisture gets in them you are pretty much fucked. So aftetmarket is the only way to go
I can relate to that. Drove through a big puddle after a storm and water killed the ballast. Thought the bulb exploded but it was perfectly fine after taking it out.. What HID kit would you recommend for the UA5? I currently have 8500K Kaixen bulbs with stock ballasts but it's just color that's letting out instead of light output. I was debating if it's better to keep the stock HID setup or get an aftermarket..
Old 05-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Drifting

I would do ddmtuning, mine have been running great.
Go for 6000k or 5000k. I've had both, but all is preference. Getting more than 6000k will give you very poor light output.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:12 PM
2003 TL-p

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I did an aftermarket hid kit and drilled a hole in the cover, had to cut the wires too. It has been working for over four years just fine. Just leave the old ballast in place.