HELP. Car Wont Start...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP. Car Wont Start...

Im having a major(I think) problem with my car and I need some help. I've tried searching but I dont know where to look.
Whenever I run my car hard, meaning drive it fast for a while, and i turn it off and go back to start it in 15mins it doesnt start. It sounds like its goin to turn on but it doesnt. Then sometimes it does, but It idles sooo low and it would shut off so i would have to hold the gas as about 2500 rpms for about 2mins or so until it catches itself. Sometimes during this process the engine makes some knocking noises that can be pretty loud. the check engine light would come on sometimes, but then go away. so i never got to run a diagnostic.
Ive changed the pcv valve, and used the spray and cleaned the intake manifold or throttle body(whatever peice the intake it connected to)-lol- sorry dont know too much about motors.lol.. well i used the spray and sprayed n wiped it moving the butterfly to get in there..
Sorry for the long story, but its been happening for more than a month now, but only when i run the car hard. Usually if i do, like say i race someone, and then i get to where im goin I would leave the car on. causei kno if i turn it off and come back its not gonna start. Please Help..... thanks
Old 01-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Well for starters i would still try to have the ecu read for codes. There may be one.
have you cleaned the IAC? also a bad or sticking egr could cause that. I would start out with just checking to see if a clde is traped on the ecu to read?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:01 AM
On the way!

Get the codes read from the computer. Many things could cause what you're describing.

If the check engine light goes on - and then off, it will still leave codes in the computer.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Racer

Ohh i didnt know the code still stays there even when the cel isnt on. thanks guys. I'll get that read later on after work.. Ill keep u posted
Old 01-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
sittinlow...i think i may have the same problem as you. I would run the car hard and turn it off then turn it back on again and i get the same knocking/clanking noise. The TCS light will come on and the engine would run rough for about 20-30 seconds and then go away. Anyway..since your getting your codes read today..let me know if anything shows up.

BTW..how many miles do you have on your car?...i have about 86k on it..it cant be the engine going bad right?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:08 AM
10th Gear

i had same problem with tcs light and engine light happened after a hard run 1 of your coils is getting to hot. replace the coil it will fix it. 1 bad coil made all 6 cylinders misfire go figure.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:10 AM
10th Gear

83k on my car
Old 01-12-2007, 11:46 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by sittinlow
Im having a major(I think) problem with my car and I need some help. I've tried searching but I dont know where to look.
Whenever I run my car hard, meaning drive it fast for a while, and i turn it off and go back to start it in 15mins it doesnt start. It sounds like its goin to turn on but it doesnt. Then sometimes it does, but It idles sooo low and it would shut off so i would have to hold the gas as about 2500 rpms for about 2mins or so until it catches itself. Sometimes during this process the engine makes some knocking noises that can be pretty loud. the check engine light would come on sometimes, but then go away. so i never got to run a diagnostic.
Ive changed the pcv valve, and used the spray and cleaned the intake manifold or throttle body(whatever peice the intake it connected to)-lol- sorry dont know too much about motors.lol.. well i used the spray and sprayed n wiped it moving the butterfly to get in there..
Sorry for the long story, but its been happening for more than a month now, but only when i run the car hard. Usually if i do, like say i race someone, and then i get to where im goin I would leave the car on. causei kno if i turn it off and come back its not gonna start. Please Help..... thanks
My 2002 TL-S (Pearl White) with 54,000 miles recently died while idling in traffic with no prior warning. I had not driven it hard before it died; it simply started idling roughly, the rpm's went down fast, and it died. I couldn't get it restarted. Had it towed to Acura dealer. They found the timing belt had slipped. The cause of that was a frozen camshaft. They decided that was due to inadequate oil delivery, even though I checked the oil stick right after it died and the oil was full. Also, I change the oil and filter religiously. Acura determined the only way to fix the problem was to completely replace both heads, including all moving parts. They did so, but I then noticed a tapping noise coming from the front engine bank. I returned the car. Now, they tell me it had a bent rod and have ordered a new engine block. So, once they mate the new head to the new block, I will basically have a new engine. I expect to pick up the car next Monday. I'll let you know how it runs after that. Thankfully, Acura is picking up the entire tab on a one-time good will repair.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 99redtl
i had same problem with tcs light and engine light happened after a hard run 1 of your coils is getting to hot. replace the coil it will fix it. 1 bad coil made all 6 cylinders misfire go figure.
What is a coil..where is it and how do i know which one needs to be replaced. sorry for being such a nub
Old 01-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 99redtl
RedTL i have gotten the codes read and i know for a fact that my engine is misfiring in multiple cylinders. How did you know which exact coil to replace. my engine was misfiring in like 5 of the 6. HELP PLEASE anyone.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:58 AM
10th Gear

this is what you do you erase the codes wait for them to come back may take about 15 min or so. the first code to show up is likely the cylinder coil that is bad. my coil shorted the rest of the system out thats why my car ran so crapie. our tls have coil on plug which means each cylinder has its own ignition coil. if you can not check the computer like i can then buy a coil like 65.00 and then switch it in the cylinders that are misfiring one by one to solve the problem. any more questionns my email is jabyrnes1285@yahoo.com i check this more regularly.