Front driver window will go down, not up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:06 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front driver window will go down, not up.

My front driver window will go down by the switch, but not up by the switch. When I found out this problem existed, I visited a dealer and had them apply direct power to move to window back up. Fine. That worked until I bought the part they recommended and tried using the window, only to find the window will not go back up. Obviously it was not the part they thought it was. Anyways, I now have a window that is down, waiting to let rain and small animals in and I would like to force it back up by applying power the same way the dealer did. However, I have no wiring diagram to use to figure out which wire to use, so I was hoping maybe someone on this forum would have access to the wiring diagram and be able to help me. Since it's Saturday obviously the soonest I'm getting help from the dealer is by booking in on Monday, which means my appointment could be god knows when. I would love to solve this today. Anyways, please reply if you can help.

Thanks,

Dustin
Old 06-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
And what type of vehicle are we talking about? motors will work either way. If you unplug the motor and apply power and ground to it in will go one way. Reverse your leads and it will got the other way. MAKE SURE A> THE MOTOR IS UNPUGGED AND B- YOU ARE HITTING THE MOTOR SIDE WITH THE POWER. Not the car side.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:44 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Instead of mucking around with the wirings and risk blowing up the window controller, it is best that you open up the door, unplug the window motor, and apply power to the motor to wind the window back up. Connect the +12V and the ground wires one way and the window will move down, reverse the connections and the window will move up.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:46 PM
10th Gear

Ok thanks for the prompt advice guys. What I had done yesterday was try to jump power to the wiring harness plugged into the window toggle switch unit, but that didnt work. I did what you guys recommended today. I pulled the door panel off, pulled away the plastic skin, looked at the wires running into the window motor, found the harness they connect to between the inner metal door skin and the plastic skin I pulled away already. Ran a piece of speaker wire from the positive and negatives of the battery to the prongs on the wiring harness holding the wires to the window motor, and had to reverse the polarity and boom i was done. Soooo easy I cant believe I even posted on here to find that out. Oh well, anyways, thanks for the advice!!

Actually, one thing I wouldnt mind asking is...so since my window switch is good (bought a new one from Acura and it didnt help) and the motor obviously works, what does this mean the problem is? I noticed a little black box mounted higher up inside the door skin that has a pile of wires running to it. Does this unit have any control over the windows? If so, I would suspect it must be the problem cause I dont see anything else inside the door that could even be listed as a possibilty in terms of things wired in line between the switch unit and the motor unit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Dustin
Old 06-22-2008, 02:57 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by RACINGHART03
And what type of vehicle are we talking about?

03 3.2TL S
Old 06-23-2008, 02:42 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
That little box is indeed the power window controller (PWC).

The window toggle switch only grounds the "up" and "down" signal wires going to the PWC, it doesn't directly send power to the window motor. It is the PWC that sends the power, with the correct polarity, to the window motor.

If you're sure that the toggle switch is good, it could still be contact problems or the wiring that goes in between the toggle switch and the PWC. Using a multimeter, you can determine if this is the case.

If all is well, the next step is to probe the two window motor wires. First make sure that there's still power going to the PWC, because after a few minutes the passenger multiplexer unit will cut power to all accessories, including the power windows. Toggle the window switch up, and with a meter you'll see a +12V across the two wires, if the PWC is working properly. Then toggle down, and you'll see a +12V but in reversed polarity.

Troubleshooting auto-up and auto-down is very complicated, because it involves reading signals from the window motor, so I won't elaborate here.

Dustin, the above instructions are just a basic guideline which may or may not fix your window problem. The factory connection diagram will definitely help here. Trying going to a Acura service center and politely asking them to photocopy for you a few pages from the repair manual. I always do that before start working on any electrical problems.

My last advice is that unless you are familiar with electrical circuits, I suggest you leave the task to the professionals, because applying power or shorting things in the wrong place and you'll end up having to buy expensive new controllers.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:31 PM
10th Gear

Awesome recommendations! Thank you so kindly!

Edward'TLS you really seem to know what you're talking about so hopefully you will look at my new thread and see if you have any opinions about the other problem I'm having.

Thanks again and I'll keep this thread updated on how things progress.