foggy headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 08:28 PM
two miles an hour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation foggy headlights

ahhhhhh i cleared my headlights 4 days ago no fog(condensation) nothing untill today when i wash and wax my car i notice it after 4 hours note it rained 2 days straight and there wasnt any fog until i wash my car

k so im gonna try to reseal them tmr before my hids get fryed

i used the honda bond i think i might have not let it dry enough? does anyone have any ideas b4 i use the honda bond again or suggest using something diff?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
take teh light out, let it air dry really good, use silicone to seal them.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if your not going to replace the lense, i heard BAKING them works. Stick em' in the oven!

then seal them.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:58 PM
two miles an hour

Originally Posted by loud_whispers
if your not going to replace the lense, i heard BAKING them works. Stick em' in the oven!

then seal them.
thats what i did the first time i baked the suckers now im goin to try broiling them and use a different sealer
Old 02-12-2006, 07:17 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
When sealing headlights make sure that you use holding clips to secure them and leave them like that for at least 3~4 days for a good leak free seal. The following is a picture from Larry (littodevil) from Hid planet showing the clips and the proper usage. Also in case of silicone more is not always good, using a whole lot of silicon leads to silicone ending up in the inside of the headlight and once the headlight warms up that can lead to silicone fumes inside the housing. Quite a few times fogging due to silicone fumes is mistaken for fogging due to a leak and moisture.

Old 02-12-2006, 12:02 PM
two miles an hour

Originally Posted by Jack_n_Coke
When sealing headlights make sure that you use holding clips to secure them and leave them like that for at least 3~4 days for a good leak free seal. The following is a picture from Larry (littodevil) from Hid planet showing the clips and the proper usage. Also in case of silicone more is not always good, using a whole lot of silicon leads to silicone ending up in the inside of the headlight and once the headlight warms up that can lead to silicone fumes inside the housing. Quite a few times fogging due to silicone fumes is mistaken for fogging due to a leak and moisture.

damn clips for 3-4 days dont think i can be without my car for that long as a daily driver but im gonna have to try it one of my damn lights started leakin again might have to bite the bullet and get a new headlight
Old 02-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I think if you went 24 hours -- that would be enough. Let them dry in a relatively warm place (not in your garage, but room temperature ... or even your basement!) I did changed my foglight lens 'cause it busted and I let it dry 24 hours. No fogging
Old 02-25-2006, 03:52 PM
two miles an hour

k my driver side hid just went out after i finished washing my car.
it never leaked before untill i washed my car for the 3rd time and snowed and rained here for over a month
anyway im doin the thing all over again for the 3rd time. the 1st and 2nd time i didnt have clamps so i got some clamps and hope everything goes well

hey whats the name of the tool that u need to take off that screw (torx?) that is holding the Hid cover in place
Old 03-01-2006, 04:07 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
^^ Sorry to hear that bro, but i think you blew the ballast . It happened to me as well, but luckily i had a spare one that i bought with the headlights and later used that one in place of the blown ballast. What happens is that the rubber washers that form a seal between the ballast and headlights are not actually made of rubber but instead of a foamy material, so when you take the ballast off of the headlight and put it back on it doesnt set in well and doesn't properly seal the ballast and headlight from water and moisture.

Instead of buying a screw driver just to open that one screw you can just use a small flat head screw driver.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Future JDM Whore

dam man i guess i wasnt suppose to let it dry in my garage....what i did was i took them out of the oven cleared em and put em back in so the glue can warm up and i sealed it re-using the stock glue.....it worked but now on my driver side headlight its hazy but that was even before i ever opened the headlight....i let the glue stick together for like 5 minutes and just threw the headlights back on the car......so far they are fine like i said the driver side is hazy it looks cloudy like the inside is dirty....its not water though heres a pic take a look

this is the dirty hazy look im talking about its not water it looks hazy when i scratch the headlight with my fingernail it seems to take off whatever is on the headlight cover but it still has the hazy effect

this was the passenger side after i sealed it back up....i think it did this because i took the headlight from hot to cold too fast.....but now its all fine

i know a couple of people who have had the problem you are having with the fogging not happening for a while and then it just pops up....sometimes it will do it being in heavy amounts of water but then it goes away good luck with it man
Old 03-02-2006, 06:05 PM
two miles an hour

Originally Posted by Da_iLLeZt_TL973
dam man i guess i wasnt suppose to let it dry in my garage....what i did was i took them out of the oven cleared em and put em back in so the glue can warm up and i sealed it re-using the stock glue.....it worked but now on my driver side headlight its hazy but that was even before i ever opened the headlight....i let the glue stick together for like 5 minutes and just threw the headlights back on the car......so far they are fine like i said the driver side is hazy it looks cloudy like the inside is dirty....its not water though heres a pic take a look

this is the dirty hazy look im talking about its not water it looks hazy when i scratch the headlight with my fingernail it seems to take off whatever is on the headlight cover but it still has the hazy effect

this was the passenger side after i sealed it back up....i think it did this because i took the headlight from hot to cold too fast.....but now its all fine

i know a couple of people who have had the problem you are having with the fogging not happening for a while and then it just pops up....sometimes it will do it being in heavy amounts of water but then it goes away good luck with it man
i took this opp to order a set of bulbs i went with the 6000k from xtralights.com plus i havent even checked to see if its the ballast yet so i might i have to get that as well
anyway im tackling this bastard this weekend
my headlights didnt look like urs it had water inside like no other
oh i ordered the screw for my HIDs its called a SECURITY torx screw T20 not jus a regular torx just incase anyone else had that problem
Old 03-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Future JDM Whore

good color choice i hope its not your ballast just as much as you do....get it done asap so it doesnt do more damage than it has already done....post pics of the 6000k's
Old 03-03-2006, 10:38 PM
two miles an hour

i finally opened the bastards up today its not the balast just the bulb so i guess i lucked out with that one
ive put the car down for this whole week in fear or messing with the other light so ive been catching rides to school like a hobo.
i just need to purchase some more clamps before i begin the process
but i definetly gonna have pics posted of the 6000ks if everthing works out alright
Old 03-05-2006, 06:06 PM
two miles an hour

got everything done the 6000'ks are in and they look great well worth the money
i went ahead and used honda bond this time the clamps really made it easier
so i got my fingers crossed hopin i got it right this time

will post pics in the pic section later