Fan Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan Noise

Hey everyone,

I have been having a recent issue with my '99 TL. Recently when I turn the fan on high (AC on or off) there is a loud thumping (almost sounds like farting) noise that sounds like it is coming from behind the fans and the air flow is a lot less than it used to be.

Any idea what this could be?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Do a search for Cabin filter DIY and follow the instructions on how to replace them Pull the filters out and see if there are any obstructions to the fan or in it. Its possible that the filters have never been changed?
Old 05-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rvl123
Hey everyone,

I have been having a recent issue with my '99 TL. Recently when I turn the fan on high (AC on or off) there is a loud thumping (almost sounds like farting) noise that sounds like it is coming from behind the fans and the air flow is a lot less than it used to be.

Any idea what this could be?
I had the same problem last fall. I live out in the country and it turned out that I had either a mouse or a chipmunk who was taking seeds and birdfood from my feeders and storing it in my blower motor. Don't ask me how it got in there, I have no idea. But just like you, the blower started to make a loud farting noise on high. 2 things you need to do: First, Follow Flounder's DIY on changing cabin air filter (remove glove box etc...) Once the glove box is out, try to contort your body and get under the removed compartment and you will see the housing for the blower motor. First, diconnect the power to the motor. You will then see 3 screws (philips head) holding the blower motor in place (1 screw is at the very front and will require a short screwdriver to unscrew. Remove the 3 screws and drop the whole blower housing out. It will likely be full of crap which is hitting your fan blades and making the noise. Clean it out and inpect your fan blades....hopefully none are broken or missing as this can affect the balance of the fan as it turns at high speeds. Re-install the motor and follow the DIY and change the cabin air filters. As the crap in the blower housing gets "mulched" it will get trapped in your cabin air filters and greatly reduce airflow. I had so much stuff in there that I removed the filters and ran my fan on high to blow the stuff out of the compartment....this makes a mess in the car, but the compartment's access is so narrow, it's tough to get in there to clean it. Should be good to go thereafter!!
Old 05-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Intermediate

There was soo much stuff in the blower motor. Thanks a lot, you guys saved me a lot of money and a trip to the dealer!