EGR Valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Valve

I looked and searched everything that has to do with the egr valve and I haven't found an answer. The instructions on how to clean the egr valve are not clear to me(the instructions that I read on some of the post are instruction on how to take the IM off and the throttle body; it stops right there. The instructions are saying spray into every hole on the IM but which hole is going to fix the egr problem?). Once I take the IM off where is the egr valve located and what are the steps to cleaning it? I talked to the Acura service department and asked them how they clean the egr valve and he said something about drilling(what kind of drill is he talking about?) in the port to get the build up out and sucking it out. Does anybody have a picture of the port that he is talking about? Also do I need to remove the egr valve itself(I'm a visual person, does anybody have a picture?)
Sorry guys for asking so many questions that may be consider comman sense. I'm a beginner and very eager to learn.
I have the 99 3.2 tl.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tnewyes
I looked and searched everything that has to do with the egr valve and I haven't found an answer. The instructions on how to clean the egr valve are not clear to me(the instructions that I read on some of the post are instruction on how to take the IM off and the throttle body; it stops right there. The instructions are saying spray into every hole on the IM but which hole is going to fix the egr problem?). Once I take the IM off where is the egr valve located and what are the steps to cleaning it? I talked to the Acura service department and asked them how they clean the egr valve and he said something about drilling(what kind of drill is he talking about?) in the port to get the build up out and sucking it out. Does anybody have a picture of the port that he is talking about? Also do I need to remove the egr valve itself(I'm a visual person, does anybody have a picture?)
Sorry guys for asking so many questions that may be consider comman sense. I'm a beginner and very eager to learn.
I have the 99 3.2 tl.

your not cleaning the egr valve. your cleaning the egr port. For your car you will need the EGR pipe kit, you can purchase it from Acura parts. There is an EGR port on the bottom of your Intake Manifold. It is located on the bottom next to your throttle body outlet. You'll notice it right away as to wher eit will be CLOGGED with carbon. The carbon buildup needs to be drilled out VERY CAREFULLY so you do not damage the inside of the plenum itself. Then a steel sleeve(ie pipe kit) is installed into the port to prevent any future buildup. The EGR VALVE is REPLACED with that procedure.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by loud_whispers
your not cleaning the egr valve. your cleaning the egr port. For your car you will need the EGR pipe kit, you can purchase it from Acura parts. There is an EGR port on the bottom of your Intake Manifold. It is located on the bottom next to your throttle body outlet. You'll notice it right away as to wher eit will be CLOGGED with carbon. The carbon buildup needs to be drilled out VERY CAREFULLY so you do not damage the inside of the plenum itself. Then a steel sleeve(ie pipe kit) is installed into the port to prevent any future buildup. The EGR VALVE is REPLACED with that procedure.

IMO, i wouldnt recommend it for your average DIY'r.. many things can go wrong with that procedure.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Racer

Here is a link to the repair Procedure..

PDF format.. dummy proof.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B00-004.PDF

if that doesnt work, let me know.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks, loud_whispers, that helped 110%, that was exactly the kind of instructions I was looking for. I will keep you updated. I bought the car in January of 2002. I wonder if they installed the pipe kit while they were waiting to sell it(knowing that it was an extending warranty on the egr). I think the car had 54,000.00 miles, when I bought it.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Instructor

in the service bulletin it shows the part # for the egr pipe kit. I went to the parts department today and that includes a EGR valve, costing a total of 216. I have a 99tl and I heard someone mentioned that I already have a steel sleeve in the port. I opened it up and by looking at it there does seem to be a steel sleeve in the port, but I'm not sure if the egr pipe kit is just the steel sleeve or egr valve only.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:13 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
stupid question. I have the EGR recall done of my car about 2 yrs ago. with the egr recall do they replace the EGR valve itself or just clean the port? I assume they replace the valve and put in the EGR pipe kit. Last spring I cleaned by IM, TB and EGR while installed thermoblok spacers and EGR port was clogged pretty good, but not completely. I was going to another cleaning this spring and was wondering what I should look for to see if EGR pipe kit was done or not.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:34 AM
Instructor

what exactly is the egr valve? Do we need to replace it? I drive my car for a while and then I turn it off to go to the grocery store. After I come back and turn on the car, the outside temp rises really high and the car kinda stalls. What's the reason for this? Is it the o2 sensors or egr valve? I also snap off one of the plugs that goes into the intake manifold while trying to reinstall the damn thing. I already past the extended warranty coverage b/c I have over 100k. I kinda damage the white plug "IAT sensor" would this be a important issue?
Old 01-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by em17henry
what exactly is the egr valve? Do we need to replace it? I drive my car for a while and then I turn it off to go to the grocery store. After I come back and turn on the car, the outside temp rises really high and the car kinda stalls. What's the reason for this? Is it the o2 sensors or egr valve? I also snap off one of the plugs that goes into the intake manifold while trying to reinstall the damn thing. I already past the extended warranty coverage b/c I have over 100k. I kinda damage the white plug "IAT sensor" would this be a important issue?
The outside tem rises because its sitting in front of the radiator and the heat causes it to rise whin stationary. The egr is that Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Its an emissions part. the car having issues is likely due to the sensor you broke??? what exactly on it broke?
Old 01-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Racer

To answer everyone's question..

EGR Valves must be replaced. The only time the EGR valve doesn't have to be replaced is on the 98CL, I think?? I dont know..but the older model CL strictly get the port clean..

EGR Valves will bind up and cannot be cleaned. They are unserviceable. Must be replaced if you have an EGR code on Your 99'-03' TL.

1999 TL's recieve the port clean(Pipe Kit) + EGR valve
2000+ TL's just recieve an EGR valve.

You may clean the ports on the 00'+ TL's but they tend to be fine most of the time.

Hope that answered everyone's question.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:23 PM
I need 2 more gears

what about recleaning the port in my 99 again?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Racer

If you did it once, why would you need to clean it again? are you getting a code for it?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:33 PM
I need 2 more gears

no i am not, but sometimes my car runs very strong and growls very nicely at v-tec. and others during same conditions car is running well but doesn't pickup as strong. I figured it might be due to the EGR port being clogged. the difference is not huge in acceleration, but I can tell. Not sure what else it could be that is robbing me some power. car runs well, no issues I can pinpoint.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:33 PM
I need 2 more gears

BTW no CEL on.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sbuswell
no i am not, but sometimes my car runs very strong and growls very nicely at v-tec. and others during same conditions car is running well but doesn't pickup as strong. I figured it might be due to the EGR port being clogged. the difference is not huge in acceleration, but I can tell. Not sure what else it could be that is robbing me some power. car runs well, no issues I can pinpoint.
If it were clogged and it was teh reason of it, it would do it all the time and not once and awhile
Old 01-10-2006, 09:04 PM
I need 2 more gears

that is kinda what I figured, but what else could it be? time for new plugs maybe? I got about 25-30k on my denso iridium's now?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Instructor

the egr valve isn't a sensor? After cleaning my intake manifold and cleaning up the egr pipe line where all that carbon build up is at, I'm still getting the same problem. I drive for a while and then I turn off the car for about 15 minutes and then the car temp rises and it stalls at startup. This happened before I accidently broke the IAT sensor. Maybe its a o2 sensor? could it be something else?
Old 01-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Intermediate

Red face

Originally Posted by loud_whispers
To answer everyone's question..

EGR Valves must be replaced. The only time the EGR valve doesn't have to be replaced is on the 98CL, I think?? I dont know..but the older model CL strictly get the port clean..

EGR Valves will bind up and cannot be cleaned. They are unserviceable. Must be replaced if you have an EGR code on Your 99'-03' TL.

1999 TL's recieve the port clean(Pipe Kit) + EGR valve
2000+ TL's just recieve an EGR valve.

You may clean the ports on the 00'+ TL's but they tend to be fine most of the time.

Hope that answered everyone's question.
Here I go again loud_whispers...back in Oct. of '01 dealer under warrantee "REPLACED EMISSION BYPASS VALVES"...
..FP# 17310-s0x-A02 Valve canister VE
.. " 17012-s84-A00 Set bypass sol. VL
.. " 17371-s84-A01 Valve 2 way

Is this the port clean (Pipe Kit) + EGR valve?

At the same time they replaced defective ECM and Fuel Pressure Regulator-under warrantee. Thanks!!

everfeb99TL
Old 01-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Senior Moderator

the egr valve isn't a sensor? After cleaning my intake manifold and cleaning up the egr pipe line where all that carbon build up is at, I'm still getting the same problem. I drive for a while and then I turn off the car for about 15 minutes and then the car temp rises and it stalls at startup. This happened before I accidently broke the IAT sensor. Maybe its a o2 sensor? could it be something else?
No the EGR valve isnt a sensor, if you cleaned teh IM and you still have teh problem then the egr needs replacing.
The egr valve wouldnt be causing your temp to rise. That would be something different. Are you talking the OUTSIDE temp OR THE ENGINE temp is rising?
Old 01-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Instructor

my engine temp guage is kinda damage, therefore I can't tell whether if its if its overheating, but my outside temp rises after each time I stop and turn off the car for about 15minutes. Then the car stalls on me. I already cleaned the egr port and the intake maniford, I can't seem to find why does my intake maniford heats up after the car is turn off. I have a friend who thinks its b/c of a dirty air filter.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

my engine temp guage is kinda damage, therefore I can't tell whether if its if its overheating, but my outside temp rises after each time I stop and turn off the car for about 15minutes. Then the car stalls on me. I already cleaned the egr port and the intake maniford, I can't seem to find why does my intake maniford heats up after the car is turn off. I have a friend who thinks its b/c of a dirty air filter.
For starters your OUTSIDE air temp rising after the car is off has NOTHING to do with the way your car is running. It rises because the sensor is right in front of the radiator and the heat that comes off sitting still causes it to rise.
I also snap off one of the plugs that goes into the intake manifold while trying to reinstall the damn thing.
This is most likely the reason your having issues. Get a new sensor or clip (what ever is broken)