Egr, Sensor, Vacuum??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 05:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Egr, Sensor, Vacuum??

I have a 2002 Acura TL that I bought 7 months ago, and I owned a 02 CL 8 years back. A few weeks ago it started running like crap and I thought I had gotten some bad gas, and I always put in mid - grade. I took it to Autozone to get a diagnosis and it came up with misfires on all 6 cylinders, EGR codes, etc.. I started doing my research since I really didn't have the money to take it anywhere to see the possible reasons of why it's doing that. Since then I have taken the intake manifold off cleaned it thouroughly, cleaned all the EGR ports, changed oil with synthetic, changed spark plugs, took EGR off and cleaned it in and under it in the ports with carb cleaner, and then ended up getting a new EGR valve. It's running much better than it was, but not quite there yet. I've done a couple of Sea Foam treatments in the gas also. I haven't done Seafoam in the oil yet, but I'm wondering if that is something I should do but I've never done anything like that before and don't want to mess anything up. It seems do better after I put more gas in it, but the CEL will still flash, stay solid for few minutes, or even off for a minute, and I've reset the CEL numerous times by taking out the back up fuse. It seems to want to open up a scream down the street, and I notice a hell of a lot more power I never had from it before usually when I'm on a regular street driving anywhere from 20-50 MPH, but when I get on the hwy going around 60 mph or higher it will shake and run bad. When I start the car it will idle rough and I can smell gas. It's only doing a code of 1399 of EGR blockage. Have I missed anything or does anyone have any suggestions of what I should check or do next? Could it be a sensor, egr passage blockage I missed, fuel filter, injectors, wiring, vaccum leak?
Old 02-13-2015, 10:44 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Diagnose or replace your ignition coils. Misfires on our cars is mostly caused by faulty >or> bad coils.

search 4 Power balance test.

Last edited by TLZINE99; 02-13-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Have you been using our DIYs to guide you thru these cleaning and replacements?
Are you running the correct 8 dollar each NGK spark plugs?

did you remove the intake manifold to clean the egr passage and ports- not just open the top cover and poke around the openings?
the main passage thru the inside of manifold is where the problem is, plus the ports to each cylinder
requires 3 cans carb cleaner and wire coat hanger to poke thru the length of manifold egr path!!
Cleaning all that should take care of the egr code and problem
Lube operating arm of egr valve too

Sounds like 1 bad coil with the multi cyl misfire codes, that's common after a plug change too- break a coil inside without knowing it by setting on workbench too hard, later it fails- they are fragile!

the TL NEEDS 91 octane gas MINIMUM, 93 or 94 if you can get it at the pump.
Seafoam in gas to clean system is 1 can to half a tank- do that 2 times

when the intake is removed for cleaning - do the Idle Air Control inside bottom of throttle body
Clean throttle body air plate

there are many threads with similar problems if you scroll thru the main list and section called Problems and Fixes

Why was the egr valve replaced? broken in handling? the internal passage goes from those 2 holes under egr valve to the opposite end of manifold

!!!Possible problem area: the top manifold cover gasket as you do the egr job-
it can be flipped over- UP side down, causing running problems!
Have to match holes to openings on top cover- not manifold, if you didn't keep it in same position as removed--moving during repairs

Welcome to the forum, we will get you back running right for the fewest dollars and most diy as possible
You are on the right path, lets make sure you used the right parts~ (spark plug brand/type/number)
The following users liked this post:
btran (02-14-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 08:57 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I've been using this forum for tips. I'm not sure on the spark plugs but I think it was those I used, but I'll have to double check. I replaced the egr because I thought that was what the issue was after I did the cleaning and spark plugs. I already checked ignition coils, but I'll check again. I'll look up on how to clear the whole passage and the egr arm. Thanks!!!
Old 02-14-2015, 04:16 PM
Team Owner

spray the arm on egr valve with wd or deep creep or silicone spray- but its new so not as much an issue
try the thread called Thermoblock install and egr cleaning, it may have pics again
or search in here for egr cleaning,,use outside search engine for any 3 letter things like egr- our search wont look for them!
use +acurazine.com after whatever you are looking for

the cleaning itself is pretty self explanatory- remove crud where you find it!
Old 02-14-2015, 04:19 PM
Team Owner

some things don't make it to the diy section, so you need to look in main area and problems and fixes

plugs NGK iridium, iridium IX or Platinum are fine,,all about 8 dollar each
very special plugs for the coil on plug ignition