EGR problems, random misfires, seafoam ?? etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation EGR problems, random misfires, seafoam ?? etc.

Well i took my tl to autozone to get it diagnosed on the obd2 reader...

it came up with misfires on cylinder 1,2,3. and also egr flow insufficient.

im thinking that the egr is leading to this, and the thermoblock thread has helped me out big time!!! on the intake cleaning method, although i have yet to do this.

My question is what vacumn hose goes to all cylinders so i can seafoam my tl...if someone could point me in that direction with a link that would help greatfully..

when i search for the seafoaming thread it seems like i get random other threads in the forums....

Thanks Everyone!!
Old 04-15-2008, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
go to the 2nd gen main list- DIY is at th top of the thread list
Seafoam is there- recent changes to the method start at post 147 with pics of good port
If you have basic skills- look at the throttle body where it attaches to the intake manifold- there will be a larger than normal vac hose that goes onto a metal nipple- thats how you know you found the right one
It has direct 20 inches of vac to the intake
Also want to use some sprayed seafoam or some TB/ carb cleaner on the TB throttle butterfly plate- it gets a lot of crud onthe sealing edges

The 3 cyls misfire code is USUALLY- not always, just 1 failed ignition coil- $45
buy 1 and try it on each indicated cyl and see if it runs better
continue to the other cyls if not,
that should help you out
pull the spark plugs and the knarly looking one has the bad coil
Old 04-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
EGR & misfires

It's quite possible that clogged passageways within the motor's intake manifold are causing all of your grief. You can attempt "seafoaming" as it's well attested to by most all. I've actually had better luck pulling the top intake cover and physically cleaning the EGR ports within. You'll be quite surprised by the amount of hardened carbon crud which has built up ! This procedure along with seafoam will greatly improve your motor's runabilty, maybe enough where hopefully all other related issues will simply go away. It's well worth a try first, as you may get lucky.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Instructor

thanks for the info everyone!! i agree with 3.2tlc i think that the egr cleaning is what is causing everything... i'll have to take a look at it while its nice outside today..

Thanks, i'll keep everyone posted....
Old 04-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
It's quite possible that clogged passageways within the motor's intake manifold are causing all of your grief. You can attempt "seafoaming" as it's well attested to by most all. I've actually had better luck pulling the top intake cover and physically cleaning the EGR ports within. You'll be quite surprised by the amount of hardened carbon crud which has built up ! This procedure along with seafoam will greatly improve your motor's runabilty, maybe enough where hopefully all other related issues will simply go away. It's well worth a try first, as you may get lucky.
The only true way to clean the EGR ports is to remove the cover AND the upper intake manifold to clean the 6 ports out.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:22 PM
5th Gear

EGR VALVE cleaned but I am still chugging

Someone help I am fearful that now this might be my tranny, I had the EGR port cleaned and I run Lucas through every gas tank wich might helop eventually. After the EGR valve was cleaned the check engine came on once but we cleared and it hasn't come on again.

Now when I am going up a hill at 70 miles and hour my egine starts to chug once or twice..... It is driving me crazy and with all these posts about tranny's going out I am fearful that mine is going out also....

Has anyone else had this problem? My RPMS do not rev up when the chuggin starts or whiile it's chugging and it comes out easily... but this is not normal.

Help please

Jen
Old 04-21-2008, 06:39 PM
'12 & '13 AL West Champs!

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by jgallagher392
Someone help I am fearful that now this might be my tranny, I had the EGR port cleaned and I run Lucas through every gas tank wich might helop eventually. After the EGR valve was cleaned the check engine came on once but we cleared and it hasn't come on again.

Now when I am going up a hill at 70 miles and hour my egine starts to chug once or twice..... It is driving me crazy and with all these posts about tranny's going out I am fearful that mine is going out also....

Has anyone else had this problem? My RPMS do not rev up when the chuggin starts or whiile it's chugging and it comes out easily... but this is not normal.

Help please

Jen
You have to clean the EGR ports, not the valve. To do this you have to remove the intake and get all that carbon build-up out of the ports.