Editorial: Upgraded to 6000K headlights..

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Editorial: Upgraded to 6000K headlights..

Just an editorial about my experience so far.

Well, I got my Philips Ultinon 6000K D2R headlight bulbs yesterday from Akinaboy on ebay. They arrived in 2 days!! Great guy to deal with by the way and awesome customer service.

There are a million pics of 6000K lights in action so I won't post any of mine, but my issue was installation. Did anyone have to spend a lot of time getting the bulbs to clip in to the housing? Is there a trick to it? I had a hell of a time and that took me forever! It seems like you have to get it at the perfect angle before it will clip in. I was getting frustrated because I had to leave and it was getting dark out soon. Took a break and then I tried again and it finally clipped....

I'm sure many of you may experienced this, but my 6000K bulbs are not as bright as I would of hoped. I knew they would be slightly less bright than stock 4300K but there is a noticeable difference. I haven't driven on dark (completely unlit) roads yet, but my 3000K HID fogs should help make up some of the light loss. I heard that street lights really overpower the 6000K output. The 6000K's look hella good. They remind me of Audi lights, just not as much light on the road. I know the DS2 and projector lenses create that more purple look since the Audi's also use 4100-4300K bulbs.

I'm wondering if they will get brighter over the course of the first 100 hours (break in)or will they become more purple looking and less bright?

I got new bulbs since my stock pass side headlight was turning colors and decided to go with 6000K. I may get another set of new 4300K Philips bulbs just in case I decide to sell my 6000Ks. I'm giving them another week or so to decide. If I do sell them, I'll put them in the black market.

Bottom line, I love the way the 6000K looks, but hoped they were just a bit brighter.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same problem when I was changing my passenger side headlight but I found out the esay way to take that clip out so it didn't take that long on my driver side.
All you have to do is push in the bottom of the clip and slide it to the side and it will come off.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:07 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Ok going with anything more than the stock 4100-4300 set up is highly prohibited by HID laws.
I know you get the cool effect of the lights being blue but trust me you wont be able to see anything when it rains. Visibility is very poor with the Ultinons till i retrofitted TSX projectors in my headlights. The projectors give you the cool blue effect due to the prism affect the lens cause when deviating light that passes through it, and also due to refrection caused by the cut off shield. I recently sold my TSX projector headlights and now am working on making another one with S2000 projectors in them because i can not stand the reflector based HID set up that we have in our cars.

Once you go projectors you never go back. I suggest you sell your ultinons and go back to your previous OEM bulbs.

Here is a picture of what light output from a lexus SC 430 projector looks like, the factory foggy lens was replaced by a crystal clear one from a 95 nissan 300 ZX low beam halogen projector.

Noice the cool blue hue in the middle.

Back to something more pertinent, the replacement bulbs are suppose to snap right into place, your problem could be that the bulbs are D2S instead of D2R. Remember the D2R bulb set up would not take the D2S bulbs without some modifications.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
That light output looks great. My next car will be projectors for sure, stock projectors I should say. I got my new Philips 4300K bulbs the other day for a great price via Akinaboy on ebay. I know I got D2R since they are stamped on the base of the bulb. They kinda "snap" into place, but they seem like they actually just seat in the hole, no snapping or click. The lights put out the exact same light pattern, so I'm sure I got them in their right now. WHen I first put them in, my pass light was very faint and I thought my aim was off...come to find out, it was in slightly crooked. ONce I straightened it up, it was normal. I didn't change the aim so I'm pretty sure and convinced they are not nearly as bright on the road as the 4300Ks. I will go back to 4300K as soon as I have some spare time to switch them out, then put the 6000K up for sale in the Black Market.

Thanks for the input!! Projector lights are far superior than reflector based housings..that cutoff looks tight!
Old 10-31-2006, 05:59 AM
/etc/car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I broke the lip at the top which holds the clip on the headlight assembly. Had to use a washer from a C&K switch which has a little extra tab on it (which would normally hold the switch in place).

Not impressed with 6000k. Same with those newer ice cream cone looking fluorescent lights which screw into normal light bulb sockets...the new 6000k ones have significantly less output (and while the 6000k on the car looks good, the 6000k bulbs at home make it feel like a cheap hotel instead of a house).