Dash lights don't work when the headlights are on

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:35 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash lights don't work when the headlights are on

hey all,

i just installed an aftermarket radio and now the dash lights don't work when i turn on the lights. i checked all the fuses and they are straight. i read on another thread that i need to ground the illumination wire to get them back in gear after installing an a/m radio.

anyone have a wiring diagram for an 01 tl that would show where the illumination wire is, or have a suggestion on another place to grab the wire without breaking down the armrest/dash again?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 AM
9th Gear

bump
Old 08-20-2007, 11:21 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
you shouldn't have to ground anything other than the ground when putting in a new radio....have you checked the fuse to be sure? does the illumination on the radio dim when you turn the headlights on? do the other lights come on? (i.e. - window switches, seat heater switches, etc)
Old 08-20-2007, 12:58 PM
2000 Acura TL

hey bro the same thing happened to me. I installed an aftermarket deck myself, and i guess i didnt tape all the loose open wires and something grounded which caused one of my relays to short. Fuses were all good, everything else worked fine. I ended up taking it to some mechanic and he bypassed it for me for 100 bucks. Unfortunately i cant dim or bright the odometer lights, but i guess thats the price i pay for doin it myself. Not sure if thats your problem but it sounds like my exact problem
Old 08-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just as a general caution, be very careful when tap into the existing wiring. You can potentially fry some very expensive electronic modules and even disable your car.

This has happened to other forum members.

So if you get to a point where you're not comfortable with what you're doing, bite the bullet and bring it to a professional.

Good luck!

Bob

Bob
Old 08-21-2007, 02:15 AM
9th Gear

Bob F... so cautious... so cute.

Anyway, fixed the dash lights. I grounded the A19 Wire (lights-on signal), which is the red wire in the factory radio wiring harness. It is directly below A9 (dash-illumination), which is a red/black wire.

At first I tapped into the A9 without grounding it, and suddenly the needles and mileage lights started working... yes, I know that's weird. They went on, off, on so I figure I blew a fuse - it was a 15amp fuse inside the engine compartment fuse box. I can't remember off hand whether it said dash lights or small lights, but it was one of the two grouped between the large fuses (the two are front-back, the other fuses in the compartment are side-to-side).

I grounded the lights-on signal wire (Red, A19), replaced the fuse, and although I can't dim the lights anymore they are working brightly and beautifully.

Thanks for the replies. I hope this helps anyone who runs into a similar problem in the future.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:54 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by njathlete08
Old 08-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Drifting

I don't understand that comment.

But thanks for the update and the information on how you corrected the wiring.

Bob
Old 01-25-2022, 10:13 AM
Cruisin'

Anyway, fixed the dash lights. I grounded the A19 Wire (lights-on signal), which is the red wire in the factory radio wiring harness. It is directly below A9 (dash-illumination), which is a red/black wire.

At first I tapped into the A9 without grounding it, and suddenly the needles and mileage lights started working... yes, I know that's weird. They went on, off, on so I figure I blew a fuse - it was a 15amp fuse inside the engine compartment fuse box. I can't remember off hand whether it said dash lights or small lights, but it was one of the two grouped between the large fuses (the two are front-back, the other fuses in the compartment are side-to-side).

I grounded the lights-on signal wire (Red, A19), replaced the fuse, and although I can't dim the lights anymore they are working brightly and beautifully.

Thanks for the replies. I hope this helps anyone who runs into a similar problem in the future.
Just need some clarification since I have this same issue. In my service manual A9 and A19 are opposite of how you list them but if Im reading correctly you only grounded the lights on signal and did nothing with the wire for the Dash lights brightness controller?
The following users liked this post:
Steven Zimmerman (11-21-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,436 Posts
^
KorzaFox, the last time Bob_F posted on this forum was 19Aug2015.
He may have moved on from his 1999 TL.