Cruise Control Wont Remain On...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:51 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control Wont Remain On...

I recently got a 2000 TL, and didn't realize at the time that the cruise control wasn't functional. (Only other problem was some of the dashlights being out, just waiting on the bulbs to get in to fix that...)

The main cruise switch goes in fine, stays indented, and lights up. While at speed (I've tried between 40-70) I then press the set button on the steering wheel control, the Cruise Control light on the console lights up for a second, and if I'm lucky remains on just barely long enough for me to take my foot off the gas. Definitely isn't just the light, as if I take my foot off the gas, I start losing speed.

At this point, the only way to get it to do anything else is to turn the main cruise off and back on, pressing cancel, or braking, do not allow me to re-attempt to set the speed and activate the control.

The radio controls function fine on the wheel, and I took the car into a acura certified mechanic for a quick look over earlier, he checked the fuses and something concerning the brake, but said neither of those were the issue...That check was free. A full diagnostic will run me about $100 an hour, which, I'm trying to avoid if it might be something I can fix myself for less than the diagnostic will cost.

Any ideas? Or should I just set aside the cash, and take it back when I can afford to and have them fix it?

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:50 PM
POWER!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I had a similar cruise control issue.

Here's the easy fix (if it applies).

Open your hood, and check your throttle cable. On the outer part, should be the cable linked to the gas pedal, on the inner part should be the CC cable. Check if it has come loose or disconnected, and simply push it back into its place. If this is the issue you may want to tighten both throttle cables a little bit.

If this does not apply on the throttle body side, open up the box to the left of the engine. I believe it may say "Cruise Control" on it, but I cant remember. Regardless you'll see the cruise control throttle cable going there. Open it up, and see if the cable has come loose from the mechanism. Simply re attach it, and tighten up the cables a bit.

I had both of those things happen with me, also thought it was a fuse or a different issue, it just turned out to be what I just mentioned. Plus this way is free as opposed to paying $100 an hour just to find out that the CC cable popped loose.

EDIT: I'll go see if I can take a decent picture for you.
The following users liked this post:
Nikoziara (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
I would also check the brake pressure switch. It may not have been adjusted correctly and will cause the cruise control to shut off. It is under the dash right at the break pedal just push the pedal and you will see what I'm talking about
The following users liked this post:
Nikoziara (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 06:43 PM
4th Gear

Csmaan- I'll try that tomorrow, thanks, hopefully that will be it!

Stephen- I THINK that's one of the things the mechanic did, I know he said something about the brake, and I watched him doing it, at the time he had crawled into the driver side floor and was doing something by it...still worth taking a look at myself though, so thanks!
Old 02-17-2012, 06:50 PM
POWER!!

Originally Posted by Nikoziara

Stephen- I THINK that's one of the things the mechanic did, I know he said something about the brake, and I watched him doing it, at the time he had crawled into the driver side floor and was doing something by it...still worth taking a look at myself though, so thanks!
Not a problem, I hope that's the issue vs. something more serious. At any rate, I'll have the pictures up when I get out of my Biology class, just so you know exactly what to look at.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nikoziara

No problem I just no that I just replaced mine and the adjustment is off just a hair and does the exact same thing you said. I have just been to lazy to go out and fix it because i never use it.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you have to remove the 4 small bolts for the plastic engine cover- to access the throttle cables
there has to be a little slack in the cable--tight is not right!

if you live anywhere but Ca.- in the USA, go to a parts store and ask for a code scan--its free
If any for wheel speed sensor come up- thats your cruise problem
may be a simple sensor knocked out of place during a recent brake job,
or worn out--crudded wires etc

advise us on any codes found- write them down
Old 02-18-2012, 12:31 AM
4th Gear

I hardly ever use cruise myself, but taking a 4 hour trip next Friday, kinda hoping to be able to use it then. :P

01tl4tl- Sounds good, I'll take it into autozone tomorrow while I'm at it. I'll check the throttle cables first though just in case it is that easy.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
if the cruise cable has broken its `outer retainer wall`of the throttle rotator assembly- you dont want it anywhere near the throttle till its fixed = move the cruise cable away and secure with ziptie
could cause a really bad problem!!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:38 AM
POWER!!

Not the best pictures, but hope this helps.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Original Owner / Oct 1998

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^ Thanks for the pictures, no worries on the first picture (both throttle cables look OK to me, if a little un-lubricated)

Regards the second picture, you need to pop open that black cover (see the clip on the front side?) and take a pic.

++++++++++

The brake pedal switch can be tested by holding it UP (towards the driver's seat) with your foot while engaging the Cruise. If it stays on while you are holding it, either the switch has been kicked out of adjustment or the pedal return spring is weak.

^^ Do this SAFELY, we don't want to loose any 'Ziners accidentally.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:18 AM
POWER!!

Originally Posted by Carbuff
^^^ Thanks for the pictures, no worries on the first picture (both throttle cables look OK to me, if a little un-lubricated)

Regards the second picture, you need to pop open that black cover (see the clip on the front side?) and take a pic.

++++++++++

The brake pedal switch can be tested by holding it UP (towards the driver's seat) with your foot while engaging the Cruise. If it stays on while you are holding it, either the switch has been kicked out of adjustment or the pedal return spring is weak.

They're just for reference for OP, I've fixed this problem already so that's why everything is fine in the pics. I can take pics of the stuff unhinged if you want, so you know what it'll look like if the problem is there, just let me know.
Also the cables are lubed (pictured), you just can't really tell :p.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Carbuff

++++++++++

With the brake switch it can be off enough so that when you pull it back with your foot it still does not work that is how mine was then I adjusted it and it was off just a hair. I just fixes mine yesterday since I was going out of town
Old 02-19-2012, 12:24 PM
4th Gear

Fixed!

Going to edit the OP with this info too, if it lets me...

First of, thankyou for all the help everyone, I definitely appreciated it, and it gave me a good idea what I was looking at.

That said, it turns out once I knew where everything was, the only training I needed I learned from the N64.

I checked the cables, they were all on, not too tight, little slack, no issues, all of them looked good. However, I noticed the cable going into the cruise control, and thought "What could it hurt?" I unplugged it, blew out the connectors, and plugged it back in.

I then took it onto the highway, and gave it a try, and sure enough, the cruise control functions perfectly now! I guess there must have been some grit in the connector messing with it!