Cruise control switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise control switch?

I've done a search on this and haven't been able to find the answer so I'm starting this thread. I'm pretty sure one of you will be able to point me in the right direction.

My brake switch went out the other day and because of this forum I was able to diagnose the problem. I was going to replace it myself but couldn't figure out how to get the switch off so my neighbor did it for me. Now my brake lights work and I can shift out of park BUT my cruise control no longer works. The cruise control button lights up but when I try to set the speed with the button on the steering wheel, nothing happens and the cruise control light on the dashboard doesn't light up.

I know from reading some of the threads on brake switches that the brake switch and cruise control switch are really close to each other. I think that when my neighbor changed the brake switch for me he may have inadvertently done something to the cruise control switch because it was working before that. Can someone show me a diagram or picture of what the cruise control switch looks like? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
Originally Posted by rnorady
I've done a search on this and haven't been able to find the answer so I'm starting this thread. I'm pretty sure one of you will be able to point me in the right direction.

My brake switch went out the other day and because of this forum I was able to diagnose the problem. I was going to replace it myself but couldn't figure out how to get the switch off so my neighbor did it for me. Now my brake lights work and I can shift out of park BUT my cruise control no longer works. The cruise control button lights up but when I try to set the speed with the button on the steering wheel, nothing happens and the cruise control light on the dashboard doesn't light up.

I know from reading some of the threads on brake switches that the brake switch and cruise control switch are really close to each other. I think that when my neighbor changed the brake switch for me he may have inadvertently done something to the cruise control switch because it was working before that. Can someone show me a diagram or picture of what the cruise control switch looks like? Thanks in advance!
I had the same problem the brake medal switch is adjusted to high so that when you hit the cruise control it thinks the brakes are on disengaging or not allowing cerise control to activate. You just have to keep adjusting the screws on the back to get it to work. It's easy but a pain because the location of the switch. You can also test it by driving and pull the brake pedal back towards you and try to activate it if it's off a little it should either flicker the cruise light or come on but it will deactivate. If its off to much it won't come on period
Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to give that a try.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 PM
3rd Gear

Ok, I've tried adjusting the brake switch several times and the cruise control still doesn't work. Any other suggestions?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Brake pedal switch adjustment : Std. Pedal Height = 6 and 5/8 " or 169 mm.

Remove floor mat, directly below the brake pedal ......there's a place in the carpet that has a cut out section that can be pulled back, then measure from the floor up to the center of behind the brake pedal.

This should get you close, assuming you already understand the mechanics of the adjustment.
If your CC worked prior to replacing the brake switch, then it's just a matter of finding the sweet spot.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:14 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stephen00TL
I had the same problem the brake medal switch is adjusted to high so that when you hit the cruise control it thinks the brakes are on disengaging or not allowing cerise control to activate. You just have to keep adjusting the screws on the back to get it to work. It's easy but a pain because the location of the switch. You can also test it by driving and pull the brake pedal back towards you and try to activate it if it's off a little it should either flicker the cruise light or come on but it will deactivate. If its off to much it won't come on period
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the exact same symptoms, and I also replaced the brake switch about 6 months ago. If so, can you please let me know what the problem was. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:01 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise control fixed!

Originally Posted by BruceAKuhn
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the exact same symptoms, and I also replaced the brake switch about 6 months ago. If so, can you please let me know what the problem was. Thanks.
Thanks Acurazine...I'm very new to this site, but was able to solve my cruise control problem. Somewhere on this site someone mentioned taping two pennies to the brake light switch, and when I did that, it worked!! I re-adjusted the brake light switch without the pennies, and all is well. I do want to add that I tried to pull up on the brake pedal and set the cruise, but that did not work...so I definitely recommend the two penny trick or automatically adjusting the brake light switch so that the button goes ALL the way in when your foot is off the brake!! Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
3.2TLc (02-10-2014)