Condensation inside Headlight Housing

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 01:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Condensation inside Headlight Housing

2003 TL 277kmiles

Just noticed after washing car today - drivers side headlight had a good amount of fine water condensation inside entire housing. It might have been there previously, but just noticed today.
Other side dry as a bone.
Any weep holes or such in this thing? Replace?
Any suggestions appreciated
Thanks.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
FWIW: Experienced a similar issue with my 2003 TLS earlier this year. Found my driver's side head light in the same condition, as yours. I removed the head light immediately , and using a hair dryer, dried it out, completely. No visible sign of a crack or leak anywhere. All attempts at making it leak, failed. Re-sealed the lens, inspected and cleaned all socket gaskets, etc. Re-installed it, and immediately, after the next heavy rain, condensation appeared again. I than replaced it with a head light from the local pick-n-pull. Again, a thorough inspection, and water test of the old head light did not reveal any evidence of a leak, and out of frustration, I filled the headlight with water, placed it, lens down, with brown paper, underneath. No leaks evident. Changed position several times, and could not find any water escaping, anywhere! How the water entered the head light, is still a mystery, to me.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:53 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the info.
I'll remove headlight and dry it out as soon as it stops raining here.
Maybe silicone caulk it as well.

Thanks again
Old 11-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by BalljointFrank
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the info.
I'll remove headlight and dry it out as soon as it stops raining here.
Maybe silicone caulk it as well.

Thanks again
Make sure to remove the ballast as well. If you turn the ballast upside down, with the electrical connector, which feeds the igniter, removed, you may be able to see if water has entered the ballast. If even a small amount of water drains out, that is not a good thing, and you may want to consider replacing the ballast, while you have the headlight out. It is also a good idea to replace the seal between the headlight and the ballast.