Type of leather used in 99 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Type of leather used in 99 TL?

Looking for the best way to maintain the seats. Some say saddle soap (which I use on my motorcycle leathers and gear) and some say to never use it. I'm trying to find out just what kind of leather the seats are made from. That may help determine the best way to keep them nice. And if you have a favorite that's been working, please share.

Regards,
Cecil
Old 11-07-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Hello Cecil,

I believe the seats are some sort of synthetic material. I have had good luck with "leather cleaners", like lexol or meguires.
I enjoy the Lexol better as it doesnt leave the seats greasy
The following users liked this post:
timberland73 (12-26-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Much appreciated. I'll look into that. Bummer that the seats aren't some form of leather though.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
FWIW: Don't know about the 99 TL seat trim composition, but my 03 TLS seats are leather. Some of the front and side panels are faux leather, but the seat cushion, and back rest, anywhere you would normally come in contact with the seat itself, is leather. The trim in my car is ebony, and I use two KIWI products, exclusively, for maintenance, both of which have worked very well for me. I clean the seats, and leather portion of the door panels, with regular KIWI saddle soap. Than I treat the leather, with KIWI Conditioning Oil. The conditioning oil comes in a can almost identical to the saddle soap can, but is labeled, CONDITIONING OIL. It is not an oil, as such. It is more like a thick paste, or gel. There is enough product in each 2 5/8 oz. (74 g) container to treat the trim in my car twice. I have used almost every leather care product out there, at one time or another. No care products, I have used, produce the results I get with this KIWI combination! My car has 234K+ miles on it, and the trim is still remarkably fresh, and supple.