climate control blinks and works intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
climate control blinks and works intermittently

Already searched and no case seems to match mine. This started when I lived in houston for a couple years but wasnt very frequent. Now that I'm back in mn. Its more often not working than working.

What happens is the digital display blinks very lightly with the temp that its set at. I can hear a soft clicking as if the system is trying to turn on but hits an error and restarts.
This happens with any combination of settings and temperatures in hot or cold ambient temps.

Ive tried the diagnostic thing where you hold some buttons and read the display but no code.

Anyone have any input ?
Old 09-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Intermittent problems are a nuisance. Most of the times, it's something on the edge. It could be as simple as a loose wiring connection or bad ground. The clicking sounds may be something sticking or binding in the system, such as the recirculation control doors.
Attempt doing the diagnostic while making adjustments to the control settings. Perhaps if you're lucky....you can catch the gremlin in the act ! Otherwise, you may have to go undercover to get that bad boy.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
ck cars ground wires,,there is the main batt one and some small braided wire ones from engine to frame

ck blower motor power connector under, outside-front edge of glovebox,,common prob with that self destructing by overheat--melting-loose wire,burning...
acura has a replacement kit 20$
Old 05-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Instructor

Old thread somewhat, just checked the power connector to the blower motor and it's not melted or look overheated at all. Took out the transistor and put a multimeter to the transistors three legs, odd readings. High resistance readings in the 10-30kohm range, unlike a writeup I found recently stating a normal reading of 500-1k ohm.
Anyone know what is a method of testing these transistors? I haven't read up much on the difference between pnp npn fet fjt wtf transistors but a point in the right direction would help... thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Update: climate control stopped blinking today, so it decided to work today.
Problem is, I disconnected the blower motor harness and the transistor assy.

I plugged them both back in and it worked fine until later on in the morning where I had turned the car off a few times. It started blinking again.

Conclusion: the blower motor and transistor were not the cause of the blinking.

I'd like to find this "door" that opens/closes or some moving part that is getting stuck so I can lubricate it or replace a gear...Anything. Anyone have a diagram of the ac parts that move? I can't seem to pinpoint the clicking noise.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Update, it stopped working for good. Haven't been able to get it to work again.
SAME issue -- climate control display flashes with current temperature setting and makes a clicking/rhythmic noise as if it were trying to cycle something on. The radiator fan, air mix control lever, and relay are all turning on and off with the climate control display. The fan spins slowly and pulsates, signifying on and off cycling, the air mix control lever rotates a few degrees at a time, and the relay clicks on and off.
Doesn't matter what temperature setting or circulating.

Some diagnostics tried since I got a factory service manual:
self diagnostics does not work, probably because it thinks it works when it flashes on and off...or it doesn't get far enough in the self diagnostics to do one...
checked power transistor with steps in manual, working fine
checked air mix control motor steps also, no issues there, opens and closes fine when I change temps

I can't seem to find this one item that's opening and closing as I turn on and off the ac system. I can hear a servo motor when I turn the key off.

Anyone have any ideas before I bring it to the stealership?
Old 10-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Instructor

Fixed.
tested every component in the hvac section of the factory service manual.
Everything passed so the day before taking it to the dealership, I bought a used climate control unit off ebay for 33 bucks as a last thought since the end of a diagnostic repair was to change it.

Worked!

also, the volume knob has been erratic for quite some time now and decided to google the problem. Found out that i just had to spray it down with some electronics cleaner. Fixed!
The following users liked this post:
3.2TLc (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 06:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Hey Doubledeala....thanks for following up with your climate control problems.
May be of benefit to somebody else, who might have a similar type of issue.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Instructor

No problem. There are too many threads asking for help and they either solve it or don't and the thread stays open with no update. Hate those.