car stops running

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 06:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
car stops running

so like the title says when i start the car to warm it up, the car just makes a poof poof sound then shuts down.... car is still on but the car stops running(engine turns off). this has happened a few times before and the only way i can keep the car on is if i start revving it for a minute or so and then the car stays running and drives fine when im driving..... so my mom thinks its the alternator because my battery is pretty new still and i replaces all 6 spark plugs and those things that go over them. so right now i need to know if thats the problem or not? 1 more thing also my cousin whose a kid but knows some things about cars had the hood opened and said the engine was shaking a lot when i was revving it to get it running sorry for being a dummy when it comes to cars
Old 03-09-2015, 06:04 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
Sounds like a timing issue but could also mean a bunch of things...
First of all Is the Check Engine light on?
Old 03-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
what exactly did you install for spark plugs? NGK iridium or NGK Platinum, about 8 DOLLARS EACH
cheap plugs wont run for long in the TL

The COILS -the things on top of each spark plug, were replaced? why- a problem= previous CEL light had multiple cylinder misfire codes?
were the coils brand new? from where?

what year and mileage on the TL?

battery may be involved- free testing is done at most major parts stores

Engine shaking could be wrong plugs, bad coil, broken motor mounts (front one is VERY COMMON)
The front and rear mounts are vacuum boosted, so failure also causes rough running

Dirty IACV idle air control valve in throttle body

Probably clogged egr ports inside intake manifold

Everything the TL needs done for basic good running, this one needs done right or finally done
Old 03-10-2015, 02:33 AM
Intermediate

no check engine light is not on..... and to answer that about the spark plugs umm i cant find them i think i or someone else threw them away.... and yes i had many misfired codes so a friend told me to replace my coilovers and spark plugs and man they looked really bad... this was replaced and done a month ago so idk why they would need to be replaced.... also i started my car today march 9th and it started perfectly fine

i got the sparks and coils at a local o'reillys

also i did the EGR by myself following a video from ericthecarguy on youtube..... i reset the back up power fuse passanger side and engine light has not come back

and yeah my TL is a 1999 with i believe 156k or 158k miles and idk why battery would be involved when i got it around november or october

also the engine didnt shake when i started it today

Last edited by taste_candy; 03-10-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Team Owner

brand new batteries are several months old- sitting on a shelf slowly draining away their power-
anything can fail right away or soon after
We put out several possible things for you to ck

the spark plugs MUST be the right ones, store should have you on file and look up what you really bought- no guessing
If wrong plugs= they last a month or 2 and take a dive
Remove 1 front spark plug to read brand and numbers off of it

99= I would replace the back part of ignition switch for safety- was recall done once then needed a few more times in the cars life
Will cause engine cuts out and other issues

when you had the manifold and throttle Body off for egr cleaning , did you clean the IACV inside bottom of TB unit?
possible vac leak at that gasket connection of TB to manifold as well

another place to recheck= is your work on intake manifold- need to re-torque main bolts to 16 foot pounds after a month- a few do loosen and torque is always a critical item.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

dont worry about spark plus forgot to mention they were NGK just found the receipt from store they were irdium plugs.

and umm idk how to do the ignition thing but if there is a DIY maybe i could do it....

and idk where the IACV is located or how to clean would have to find a DIY to do it BUT i just did a seafoam cleanning on my car in the fuel tank and i think the vacuum line but for some reason no smoke came out my car i think i did it wrong.....

im not sure if can tell but i think or just feel like my idling is a little rough but im not sure since this is my first acura tl and first car
Old 03-12-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
You mean the IACV DIY I just recently uploaded?
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...g-iacv-927263/
Old 03-13-2015, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

lol yes i saw that but replacing it seems a lot harder than cleanning it but ill give it a try ill order the part when i get home
Old 03-14-2015, 10:56 AM
Team Owner

you must remove it to clean or replace it!

yes our diy section is written for the newest person to be able to do a specific job

seafoam= 1 can in just under half tank of gas, do that two times.

Vac line method done at master vac port by TB- only place its ok to do it!!
only results in SMOKE if there was sufficient HEAT in the cat convertor.
oils in seafoam react to heat creating smoke out tailpipe
It is NOT an indication of how good a job was done

the twice in the gas method cleans more places than vac port and does it gently over a few weeks to a month as you drive
Drives longer than 30 minutes ares most effective at cleaning

Still need to clean throttle body Air Plate- that's idle issues, and full egr system cleaning inside manifold, along with clean or replace iacv while tb is in your hand

It should run like a 200hp sewing machine--just hmmmmmms
Old 03-14-2015, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

i cleaned the air plate with the spray and wiped it clean i just need to replace the IACV thing maybe that should help my idling a lot more and also i think i need a new exhaust system its over sized and vibrates a lot and kinda loud when ur driving it lol idk if its ricey but i would love to post a pic and get some feedback on my exhaust