Car misfiring throwing multiple codes, caused by bad gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 12:14 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car misfiring throwing multiple codes, caused by bad gas?

I'm having a misfire issue at the moment, I hosed the engine down about 5 days ago. And I got codes p1366 right after, I unplugged the sensor let it dry out and all was well, car drove fine all yesterday. When I got off work at 10pm, it was all of sudden shaking and missing, I thought I could possibly be from bad gas because I have been using a lot of cheap gas (food for less and falcon fuel). I literally added a gallon of falcon fuel earlier the same day. Falcon fuel used to be amco, I had someone tell me the water messed something up, I don't believe that at all, why would it all of sudden mess up 5 days AFTER I cleaned the motor. Could it be bad gas? Helppp, smooth TL ride is gone.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:42 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
bro, you need to troubleshoot by eliminating some factors.
fill up with 91+ and wait a week.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
Will do, it can't be the water, I'm guessing it's more than likely the gas, so I'm nearly on E now, so I will put a can of seafoam or stp gas treatment in there along with some shell v power. It could be anything but I don't see it being anything else. Any other thoughts.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
Oh yeah, and I have been using premium, but I have been getting gas from VERY cheap quality gas stations, from now on, she'll v power.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
it was because you "raced" and didn't provide a video. Karma
The following users liked this post:
draguuu (09-14-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by thoiboi
it was because you "raced" and didn't provide a video. Karma
I really need some serious answers, I can joke later, I just want my car running right, this is highly aggravating.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Yes, stop trying to cut corners on crappy gas.. that will cause random misfires.

Now where's my video?
draguuu (09-14-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Racer

Yes, stop trying to cut corners on crappy gas.. that will cause random misfires.

Now where's my video?
Lol, I got you man its coming, he honestly wasn't racing for real, well kind of, he stomp it for a few secs, than when he saw the TL was no slouch he let off and making excuses, I was honestly pissed for that. But, what should I do next? should I run this gas out and fill up with shell and add a can of seafoam to the gas tank? I don't thing water from me cleaning the motor 5 days after would hurt anything. Right?
Old 08-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

i mean you also could have shorted out the coil packs but take it one thing at a time..

you can siphon out all the old gas if you'd like but it's a bit excessive.. just go racing some more and burn off the shitty gas
Old 08-04-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
burn the gas off by driving. then use 91+. you might need to run a couple of tanks if it was indeed bad gas.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:23 PM
Racer

i mean you also could have shorted out the coil packs but take it one thing at a time..

you can siphon out all the old gas if you'd like but it's a bit excessive.. just go racing some more and burn off the shitty gas
The coils could indeed be shorted out, but what im saying is that everything was fine for 4 days after I already cleaned the motor, if water shorted something out, wouldn't it have damaged it right way and not after 4 days? And im nearly on E, so tonight I will add shell v power and a can of seafoam.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Pull the coils out and look for water in the plug tubes. Sometimes it takes a while for water to migrate to an area where it can cause problems.
justnspace (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 09:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLer trash
Pull the coils out and look for water in the plug tubes. Sometimes it takes a while for water to migrate to an area where it can cause problems.
Pulled each coil out, and found no water in each hole! But, I found that they were 5 hitachi coils and one aftermarket, when I went to remove the aftermarket coil, it wasn't screwed in all the way, and when I pulled it out, the boot part was broken off and stuck to the spark plug, so I'm gonna try to remove the bottom part of the coil and reattach it. Btw, it's the coil right next to the upper radiator hose, so I can see someone half assing install. But I wonder why 5 hitachis and one aftermarket.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Roblee23
Pulled each coil out, and found no water in each hole! But, I found that they were 5 hitachi coils and one aftermarket, when I went to remove the aftermarket coil, it wasn't screwed in all the way, and when I pulled it out, the boot part was broken off and stuck to the spark plug, so I'm gonna try to remove the bottom part of the coil and reattach it. Btw, it's the coil right next to the upper radiator hose, so I can see someone half assing install. But I wonder why 5 hitachis and one aftermarket.
YESSS! TL SMOOTH RIDE IS BACK! It turned out to be one bad coil pack, I pulled the plug one by one with the motor running, and found no change in the idle when I pulled the top right connector, and it was one of the oem stock coils too not the aftermarket, so that tells me the original coils is on their way out, went to the scrap yard and got another oem. It was only 1 bad coil, I wonder why it was throwing multiple misfire codes. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Eurotrash

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
It's typical that one bad ignition coil can throw the multiple misfire codes.
I also had an experience of filling up, then the car almost immediately running as if it was bad gas, but instead turning out to be 2 bad ignition coils suddenly failing by coincidence. I did NOT choose OEM coils when I replaced all 6....
Old 09-05-2016, 03:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tosh
It's typical that one bad ignition coil can throw the multiple misfire codes.
I also had an experience of filling up, then the car almost immediately running as if it was bad gas, but instead turning out to be 2 bad ignition coils suddenly failing by coincidence. I did NOT choose OEM coils when I replaced all 6....
Aw man, samething happened to me! Right after filling up with cheaper gas, so i assumed it was because of the gas. Its time for lots of maintenance to be done on my car and that includes sparkplugs. Im gonna order a brand new set of coils while im at it.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Eurotrash

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
At least you didn't freak out about your precious pet car and drive back to the gas station and cuss out the old dude for selling bad gas and then not doing anything about it when he can see how shitty it's running. My trusted Honda guys, Japanese Beetle in Sunnyvale, and I had a laugh about coincidences later...