car died,jump start

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007 | 10:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

car died,jump start

i went out to start my car and now its dead. I did not take it out for like a week or so and now it wont start.
i dont know how to jump start a car and was trying to get a step by step instructions on how to do it.
i searched online for it and found one that said to:

Attach the cables in the following order:

Attach one end of one cable to the dead battery's positive terminal.

Attach the other end of the same cable to the positive terminal of the battery in the starting vehicle.

Attach one end of the other cable to the negative terminal of the battery in the starting vehicle.

Attach the other end of that cable to the engine block of the car with the dead battery. Look for unpainted metal surfaces and be sure it will clear anything moving when the car starts. Do not attach the negative cable to the dead battery itself.

Stand back from the hood areas of the cars. Do not smoke while you're doing this. Safety goggles are always a good idea.

Start the car that's providing the jump start.

Wait about five minutes, and then try to start the car with the dead battery. If it does not start, stop trying and wait a few minutes longer. Try again for no more than thirty seconds. If the car still doesn't start, chances are that it's not going to. Time to call a tow truck.

Remove the cable connections in the reverse order that you put them on. That means that the first disconnection is from the block, and the last is from the positive terminal of the car that has just been started.

i get the instructions so far but when it says to attach the negative terminal to the engine block of the dead batteries car, i dont understand what that means?
why couldnt you just attach it to the negative terminal of the dead battery?
Old 05-22-2007 | 10:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by asloudasitgets
i went out to start my car and now its dead. I did not take it out for like a week or so and now it wont start.
i dont know how to jump start a car and was trying to get a step by step instructions on how to do it.
i searched online for it and found one that said to:

Attach the cables in the following order:

Attach one end of one cable to the dead battery's positive terminal.

Attach the other end of the same cable to the positive terminal of the battery in the starting vehicle.

Attach one end of the other cable to the negative terminal of the battery in the starting vehicle.

Attach the other end of that cable to the engine block of the car with the dead battery. Look for unpainted metal surfaces and be sure it will clear anything moving when the car starts. Do not attach the negative cable to the dead battery itself.

Stand back from the hood areas of the cars. Do not smoke while you're doing this. Safety goggles are always a good idea.

Start the car that's providing the jump start.

Wait about five minutes, and then try to start the car with the dead battery. If it does not start, stop trying and wait a few minutes longer. Try again for no more than thirty seconds. If the car still doesn't start, chances are that it's not going to. Time to call a tow truck.

Remove the cable connections in the reverse order that you put them on. That means that the first disconnection is from the block, and the last is from the positive terminal of the car that has just been started.

i get the instructions so far but when it says to attach the negative terminal to the engine block of the dead batteries car, i dont understand what that means?
why couldnt you just attach it to the negative terminal of the dead battery?
Easier way is to simply match them up:

clamp the positive terminal of the dead battery to the positive terminal of the good battery, and clamp the negative terminal with the negative terminal. The car doesn't need to be running, but it is suggested to have the car running. Start your car.

Take off the boost cables (take the negative one off first). Let it run for 10-15min. You might want to drive to your local garage and have them test the battery. Your battery might be simply drained, but it might also be dead meaning it's not holding the charge. Thir battery tester can check that.

Anyways, hope this helps!
Old 05-22-2007 | 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Just attach the NEG cable to any thing thats a metal ground. The block, metal bolt going into the chassis. You can hook it to the battery but its safer not to. I prefer having the other car running. If it doesnt start after a few min charging it most likely wont. Its time for a new batery if it doesnt