Car cranks but wont start please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2023 | 08:03 PM
10th Gear

Car cranks but wont start please help

The other day I was going to start my car and it cranked over but didnt start so I banged on the fuel pump and it started up and so today I changed the fuel pump and then I tried starting it and it would crank but wouldnt start so I checked the fuse it looked good, any suggestions, thank you in advance
Old 05-02-2023 | 02:31 AM
I am dumb

Originally Posted by Eddyramirez15
The other day I was going to start my car and it cranked over but didnt start so I banged on the fuel pump and it started up and so today I changed the fuel pump and then I tried starting it and it would crank but wouldnt start so I checked the fuse it looked good, any suggestions, thank you in advance
Funny, I've had this issue before myself. Car died at a red light. Had the fuel pump replaced, died again a month in. I learned that banging on the fuel pump in the trunk managed to fix it sometimes.

Not sure what I did to fix it. I ended up going to the junkyard and just pulling a bunch of fuel pumps and keeping them in the trunk. Had to replace it once in a FedEx parking lot. Hasn't come back since.
The following users liked this post:
Pharo1 (03-10-2024)
Old 05-02-2023 | 08:22 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Thefireball
Funny, I've had this issue before myself. Car died at a red light. Had the fuel pump replaced, died again a month in. I learned that banging on the fuel pump in the trunk managed to fix it sometimes.

Not sure what I did to fix it. I ended up going to the junkyard and just pulling a bunch of fuel pumps and keeping them in the trunk. Had to replace it once in a FedEx parking lot. Hasn't come back since.
that sucks I'm sorry, this shit is so confusing to figure out what the problem might be if it's not the fuel pump, thank you for the response by the way
Old 05-02-2023 | 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

is there a blinking key light?
power and ground at the pump?
main relays are common issue for intermittent no starts.
Old 05-02-2023 | 06:56 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 619rcr
is there a blinking key light?
power and ground at the pump?
main relays are common issue for intermittent no starts.
If I remember correctly I think there was a blinking key but I dont remember, and I'm pretty sure the pump has power and ground going to it because right before I changed the old pump it would start up first time when my gas was 1/4 of a tank of gas or higher but anything lower and it just wouldn't want to start but now that the new fuel pump is in it just doesnt want to start at all, and do I hook up a multimeter to the main relay fuse under the hood?
Old 05-02-2023 | 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Eddyramirez15
If I remember correctly I think there was a blinking key but I dont remember, and I'm pretty sure the pump has power and ground going to it because right before I changed the old pump it would start up first time when my gas was 1/4 of a tank of gas or higher but anything lower and it just wouldn't want to start but now that the new fuel pump is in it just doesnt want to start at all, and do I hook up a multimeter to the main relay fuse under the hood?
Main relay is under the driver side dash. black/grey box with a wide brown plug

If you have a blinking key light might be the immobilizer not detecting the key. Could try another key.
Old 05-02-2023 | 07:35 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 619rcr
Main relay is under the driver side dash. black/grey box with a wide brown plug

If you have a blinking key light might be the immobilizer not detecting the key. Could try another key.
ok I'll look at it as soon as I can thank you