Caliper Piston Does Not Retract After Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 03:51 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Caliper Piston Does Not Retract After Brake Job

so i had some vibration in the rear and i changed my pads and rotors today. all of a sudden the caliper piston on the right rear brake won't retract and is engaged all the time. so, now i'm wondering what the deal is because it was fine this morning. anyone had this issue?

i did a search on it but everyone basically says the caliper is siezed when someone has that problem, but i have a hard time believing the caliper is fine one minute and siezed the next for no reason.

possibly in need of a fluid flush? anyone? anyone?

SSTS
Old 06-24-2006, 03:54 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
hmm, i'd bleed the brakes and flush the fluid to see if that does anything
Old 06-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks like the caliper got stuck...try bleeding the brakes like said above. If that doesn't work, you might need to replace the caliper.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:49 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

well i bled the line and did a flush of about 1/2 the fluid in the system to no avail. i pulled the piston out of the caliper to get a visual and everything looks good. no scoring, no bebris, just a little bit of sludge which i cleaned out. so needless to say i'm a little stumped. i ordered a new caliper anyway and will have to try it out but i have a sneaking suspicion that it's not going to solve the issue. i'll just have to wait and see.

SSTS
Old 06-29-2006, 07:29 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

i picked up my new caliper yesterday and put it in. i found out one of my sliders was bad, but that still didn't account for why the caliper piston wouldn't retract on it's own. but either way i replaced the caliper and everything is fine now. fyi.

SSTS
Old 08-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
well i bled the line and did a flush of about 1/2 the fluid in the system to no avail. i pulled the piston out of the caliper to get a visual and everything looks good. no scoring, no bebris, just a little bit of sludge which i cleaned out. so needless to say i'm a little stumped. i ordered a new caliper anyway and will have to try it out but i have a sneaking suspicion that it's not going to solve the issue. i'll just have to wait and see.

SSTS
how to u flush the brake fluid? dealer wants to charge $109 for it? fudge them! also when changing the pads ... back in the day before ABS we just used to use a C clamp to push the piston back, I heard you CAN NOT do that with ABS because of the ABS valves ... how do you properly push the piston back? Would losening the bleed screw then pushing the piston back suffice?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
, but that still didn't account for why the caliper piston wouldn't retract on it's own.

SSTS
because they really dont retract back in
Old 08-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by jpadilla
how to u flush the brake fluid? dealer wants to charge $109 for it? fudge them! also when changing the pads ... back in the day before ABS we just used to use a C clamp to push the piston back, I heard you CAN NOT do that with ABS because of the ABS valves ... how do you properly push the piston back? Would losening the bleed screw then pushing the piston back suffice?
flushing the brake fluid is just bleeding the system. you will need to bleed each wheel to flush it.
as for changing brakes, its as simple as pushing the piston in with a c-clamp. Nothing to worry about with abs. Some times the rears need to be screwed in when the parking brake is incorperated with teh rear caliper. Ours isnt its a drum style parking brake inside the hub of the rotor.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:28 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
because they really dont retract back in
well they have to at least 1/16th to an 1/8th of an inch or you won't clear the wheel. the fronts retract about that much if you watch it.

or maybe retract isn't the right word, maybe *relax* is a better term. of course i realize this is because you're removing the hydraulic pressure from the piston, but for whatever reason it just wasn't happening and the piston would remain engaged to the rotor.

thankfully this was solved with a new caliper. i just had to wait 3 days for it to come in.

SSTS